• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question for those of you in the Marine Corps

91redneckranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2WD Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had enlisted a couple years ago in the Corps, and was all set to go. Right after I went through MEPS, i went into the hospital for a minor kidney operation. I was told my my local recruiter, SSGT. Keller, that the surgery disqualified me from joining, but he never explained why. Now it has been almost 4 years since the operation, and my doctor says he sees no reason why I shouldn't be accepted this time. I was wondering if any of you disagree with what he [the doctor] said, or maybe have gone through something similar. I could use some advice. I'm going to see the 'new' local recruiter tomorrow...so I can find out for sure from him. I'd just like to know what to expect or say even.

Thanks

--Tommy

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
can't anwser about the marine corps,but last year my sister in law (army) came home from germany on leave and donated a kidney to her brother and after recovery,rejoined her unit.

i should think the marines would be interested,let us know how it turns out.

91redneckranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2WD Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That actually made me feel alot better about the whole thing....thanks!

I'll keep you posted as to what happens....

--T

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i would think it was due to being to close to the operation.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... As to why he said you "couldn't" join made no sense. I figured he couldn't let you join so soon after your surgery, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have went to basic several months later.

Idk... sounds like he just decided to give up on you at that moment. Give it another go and see how it comes out.

91redneckranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2WD Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I went to the office today, and it turns out he won't be back until monday. So I guess Ill have to wait until then. But you might be right about it being so soon after the surgery. I'll just have to see come monday.

Thanks for the help

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow.
As desperate as they are for soldiers I would be very surprised if they didn't let you join. It's my understanding that normally, they only disqualify for medical conditions that would put you, or others at a major disadvantage on the battle field. Or, pre-existing conditions that would be a major medical liability for them. (Not sure if your problem falls under this category.) Uncle Sam wants to make sure he's not purchasing damaged goods.
I almost joined when I was 21... At that time though, if you'd been in much trouble with the law they weren't interested in you. My weasel recruiter told me to lie at Meps about a lot of stuff, that "he'd take care of it." I chickened out before being sworn in; The "under penalty of perjury and 10 years in a federal penitentiary" thing got to me throughout the day. I'm glad I did, I've heard of people since who get found out, and at the least, get busted down to an E2 or E3 for the remainder of their military career.
If the recruiter tells you to lie about your surgery, tell him to go get f**ked.
If he promises you anything... get it down in writing.
Good luck to you.

Blackdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First, thank you for your interest in joining the Corp. I have 24 years in the Navy/Airforce and it was the most enjoyable, exciting part of my life. It is not the recruiters fault, these guys will do anything to get you in. You were disqualified because of your injury according to Marine standards.

Look at other branches of the service, chances are their standards are different and you can get in.

Motivated, persistent guys like you are military material and surely theirs a way to get you in.

Keep us upgated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals