• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about Pioneer amplifier

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Update:

I now have a ported dual enclosure box for two 10's and I also have two 10" Alpines to fill the box. (Both box and subs cost a total of $100. Ah, the goodness of craigslist...)

Now I just need to get all of my wires organized to be put in.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Damn, ur a good bargain hunter, haha.

What are the ratings of the amp and how many channels is it?

I'd probably hook up all the speakers to the amp. When I listen to my friends system without the front speakers amped I want to punch myself in the face. I don't know, to me it sounds weird but hey he likes it...

As far as hooking the sub up, I'd consider possibly going with another amp, unless you want to do the custom hookup you were talking about. The only thing is, I doubt the output would be very high and I don't think it would power the subs in the best range.

Also I didnt notice when i was reading, but did the amp already check out good? Cuz if it didnt Im sure you can find two newer ones on craigslist to really make the system sweet.

Whatever you do enjoy it and have fun making it, i sure did, and I hate exiting my truck when a good song is playing... even when I get home, even if I'm late to work, I'll just sit there, haha!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The amp is a two channel rated at 120 continuous, 240 watts max per channel.

Bridged it runs 320 continuous, 640 max.

I'm going to wire it up to where each sub has its own channel to see how that works. Then I'll probably wire up one sub in the bridged configuration to see how well one performs alone. I may then try one sub on one channel, and then the two rear speakers on the other channel...

I'm already thinking about looking for another amp on craigslist to power the front speakers once I figure out which way I like the sub setup.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I'm going to be running the wiring through my car first thing when it warms up to above 20 degrees. The last few days have been hovering around 0-5 degrees all day... I don't know about you guys, but I can't handle that frigid temps even when bundled up. I can't stand not being as agile when I am...

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
The amp is a two channel rated at 120 continuous, 240 watts max per channel.

Bridged it runs 320 continuous, 640 max.

I'm going to wire it up to where each sub has its own channel to see how that works. Then I'll probably wire up one sub in the bridged configuration to see how well one performs alone. I may then try one sub on one channel, and then the two rear speakers on the other channel...

I'm already thinking about looking for another amp on craigslist to power the front speakers once I figure out which way I like the sub setup.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I'm going to be running the wiring through my car first thing when it warms up to above 20 degrees. The last few days have been hovering around 0-5 degrees all day... I don't know about you guys, but I can't handle that frigid temps even when bundled up. I can't stand not being as agile when I am...
What are the subs rated at?

In the bridged config how many speakers/subs can you hook to it? How is it that the manual designs it to be set up when combining the sub and the speakers?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
They're Alpine SWE-1043's. Here's the specs on them. Alpine Spec Sheet Site

I think my amp (in the normal configuration) will be just right for these.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Damn... My ported box is just a hair too big to get into the spot I want in my trunk...

I'm going to sell this one and get two smaller, sealed boxes.

Who recommends that I make my own?

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do. Sealed boxes are easy to make. Even truck boxes. If you screw up the angled cut you can just lace the inside with caulk to seal it up.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
They'd be going in my car. So they'd be even easier to make fit for my application.

I just need to see if my power saw works... I don't know if it's still under all of the clutter in the shop. Hahaha.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would use a table saw if you have one. Or go over to a friends house or something to make sure you get at least some straight cuts. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! We'll need to see some pics too! :icon_thumby:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Pics, pics, pics... Sheesh, people on this board are demanding!

Hahaha, will do (when it happens).

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
They're Alpine SWE-1043's. Here's the specs on them. Alpine Spec Sheet Site

I think my amp (in the normal configuration) will be just right for these.
Oh okay those have a lower RMS than i was thinking. They should work fine then. I mean you could probably push them harder but those are perfectly reasonable numbers.

I normally follow the idea that more power to the subs is better than too low power. Although.... I am currently under powering my own sub :p lmao. Its rated at 425 and I'm sending closer to 350 RMS at it. Still performs and I can blast my system into outer space levels of volume and create no damage or issues. So your idea should be fine.

If you go with that then I'd just get another cheaper amp for the speakers themselves. Should make wiring simpler and cleaner as well.

Good luck, seems like your on your way to a neat customization!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for that last sentence. I can't remember if I explained what got me started on wanting subs in my car. I visited a friend who has two 12's and a single channel 600w amp and I LOVE the sound of it. So, if he has two subs running on one channel of 600w, then I've been thinking that smaller 10's would sound just as good on roughly the same amount of power. Btw, I've never cared for BIG speakers... I don't care for them even more now because all of my OTHER friends just want that "thumpy" bass from rap music. I want clean, deep, thunderous growls coming out of the interior of my car...

It only makes sense to want that type of sound...

Now if I can just get rid of this box at the moment... I have a feeling that may not happen soon.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
they difference between 8's to 10's to 15's is basically your range, All will sound pretty badass in the car at almost any power level, however the 15's can handle usually handle more power and will be heard outside the vehicle alot better than smaller sizez, (not saying smaller speakers cant be more powerful)

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they difference between 8's to 10's to 15's is basically your range, All will sound pretty badass in the car at almost any power level, however the 15's can handle usually handle more power and will be heard outside the vehicle alot better than smaller sizez, (not saying smaller speakers cant be more powerful)
Very true. I have a kicker 8 inch L7 and it pounds in my cab but it can't be heard outside. I'm okay with this because people won't know I have it.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Very true. I have a kicker 8 inch L7 and it pounds in my cab but it can't be heard outside. I'm okay with this because people won't know I have it.
Which is why I've always had a soft spot for 8"s. I even looked at the JL 6" subs a year or so ago, but they only had one box for it and it wouldn't fit in my truck...

I would want the 6"s for my truck, but not the car. I really don't want to go less than the 10"s I have now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals