• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pros and Cons of Bigger Tires

YossarianLives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So when I bought my truck the previous owner had put on 225/75/15s (one size smaller than stock) and I was considering putting on 31s.
However...
The tires still should have about 30,000 more miles left on them so they work just fine..no issues with them. I want bigger tires primarily for the look but I realize that I will lose some gas mileage and power. I mean the bigger tires will probably add around 50 pounds to the truck. Plus I mainly drive on the road but I would like the possibility of off-roading sometimes. I also don't drive a whole lot because I take the bus to campus.

So my question is: Are there any other major pros and cons (besides decreased gas mileage and the speedo being off) that I should consider? Should I just wait til the tires wear and out and get 31s? Or should I just leave it at stock size?

Thanks guys.

Btw the tires that are on now are Cooper Discoverer H/T..I was looking at the Firestone Destination A/T.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
in reality, bigger tires means more gas, speedo off, less "power", more drivetrain wear/tear.

however, in your case, none of that is gonna be a big deal since you're not really changing much size. You won't gain much either from a size larger.. remember clearance you gain is 1/2 the difference is size.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No cons, as long as its built for it.

Well, I lied. The cost. The reason I'm on 35"s when the truck will handle 38"s...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bigger, wider tires are not good in snow if you have to run in the Winter. Only downside I think of.
Dave

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Don't think about it just do it, 31s arent a very big jump. You might feel it a bit more with the 3.0 but its a ranger not a racecar anyways

Jasper_S

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Aside from more gas and speedo off, bigger tires are more expensive. It also means more weight, which can affect fuel economy, suspension, braking system and even performance. However, in your case, it's alright. But if I were you, I would just wait until the tires wear and out before replacing it with 31s to save money. It's just my opinion.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Be aware of your speed you will be going faster than the speedo says jonny law would be a con.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
arent 31's stock size anyway? i believe my 02 had 31's metric equivalent on it if i remember correctly

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So when I bought my truck the previous owner had put on 225/75/15s (one size smaller than stock) and I was considering putting on 31s.

so stock size is 235/75r15. IIRC; On my bIIstock is 205/75r15 with 3.45 gears. I went to 31" and a few weeks later changed gearing to 4.10 because it was the shits to drive. The speedo is now back to reading correctly too. I got used axles with correct gearing for ~ $200.00 and installed them myself.
However...
The tires still should have about 30,000 more miles left on them so they work just fine..no issues with them. I want bigger tires primarily for the look but I realize that I will lose some gas mileage and power. I mean the bigger tires will probably add around 50 pounds to the truck. Plus I mainly drive on the road but I would like the possibility of off-roading sometimes. I also don't drive a whole lot because I take the bus to campus.

It isn't so much the extra weight as it is the bigger circumference, it takes more power [gas] to get the wheels up to speed and also to slow down. Imagine spinning on skates; arms out needs a lot more effort to get to the same speed and, in extreme cases, you won't be able to reach the same performance as before.

So my question is: Are there any other major pros and cons (besides decreased gas mileage and the speedo being off) that I should consider? Should I just wait til the tires wear and out and get 31s? Or should I just leave it at stock size?

Are you a starving student? I can think of better things to spend what little money I have on, like food! IMO you would be better served to complete your studies and start making some money before spending on basically frivolous items. It sucks to be poor, I know. If I had completed tech school 30 years ago I'd be in a much better state.

Thanks guys.

Btw the tires that are on now are Cooper Discoverer H/T..I was looking at the Firestone Destination A/T.
Good luck in whatever you decide,
Richard

Last edited:

YossarianLives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I decided to just do it and get the 31s put on. Its not like money was an issue for me and, well, you only living once I guess! I got a set of Mastercraft Courser AXTs put on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals