• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project OUTRANGEROUS 4.6L Install / Phase 2

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Looked up your build thread and it was great. The DOHC sure takes up more real estate then the SOHC. I'm almost done the wiring, check, check and double check, just need to tidy it up. What did you do with your fuel system. I have the 4.6 pump but it's a single line set up. The pcm looks at all the fuel line stuff, is that a problem down the road?
It's good to be able to talk with someone who has been through it already and has worked out some of the bugs.

Thanks
Ron
I used the original tank and modified the sending unit to fit the Mark VIII pump. My plans are to upgrade that pump this winter to a Walbro.

I attached a fitting to the sender assy. also ran a return line up to the engine.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Rain yesterday but had some time in the garage to fool around with the fan. I got a 4 core aluminum radiator out of a 1999 Mountaineer that fits in the original bracket.
I kept the original elect. fan from the CV but it's too big with the shroud.
[/IMG]
This is the shroud from the original 3.0
[/IMG]
If you place the 3.0 shroud over the 4.6 you can see they almost fit together.

So I decided to cut away the shroud on the 4.6.
[/IMG]
There is a small gap around the fan that I used an 1.5" piece of poly tubing as a spacer and bolted the two together.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
This looks like it should work fine but on test fit I don't quite have enough room between the harmonic balancer and the shroud. Does'nt look to difficult to move the rad. back 1.5" there is plenty of room behind it.
Back to the drawing board, we'll see what happens.
i would consider move the radiator forward, re shrouding fans usually results in less then stellar performance. i have seen that done before on fullsize trucks with that fan and it was deemed a fail, once the right fan was fitted things changed.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I can do all things thru Christ who strenghtens me
i would consider move the radiator forward, re shrouding fans usually results in less then stellar performance. i have seen that done before on fullsize trucks with that fan and it was deemed a fail, once the right fan was fitted things changed.
Thanks for the input ,
I'm going to give it a shot and see how it performs
It just fits and looks so OEM. I can always buy another elec. fan latter and replace it, I will have plenty of room. With no A/C I don't think cooling will be a major problem anyway.
I'll update info when I get this thing on the road.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I used the original tank and modified the sending unit to fit the Mark VIII pump. My plans are to upgrade that pump this winter to a Walbro.

I attached a fitting to the sender assy. also ran a return line up to the engine.
Thanks for the reply,
How and where did you connect the return line?
What about the evap vanisters and such. Did you connect the new system from the donor car or use the original stuff? I was thinking along the same line
with regard to the pump and try to just install the CV pump and leave the Ranger sending unit.

Rjaaaaaa

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Wheels

Didn't have to much time today but had one of the tires off and thought I'd fool around with an idea I have been kicking around in my head for a while.

Awhile back I bought some paint at a discount outlet store, it was called Metalcast (Blue) by Duplicolor. If you've never seen or used it, it can really give you some nice effects. It looks like anodized metal when you spray it on shinny metal or aluminum.

I've used it on some other projects and really liked the look. So here's what I came up with for my 2001 Ranger aluminum rims.

I think it came out nice, when the truck is cleaned up and all the wheels done like this I think it will look good with the side pipes. Not to much, just a highlight. What do you think?

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
4.6 Fuel lines

I searched high and low for those special Ford gas line connectors (double 0-ring type) and finally found and ordered 2 off the web. These convert from the o-ring type fitting to a 6AN threaded fitting for use with braided fuel line. The original fuel line comes up near the steering column and the fuel rail connection on the 4.6 is on the passenger side front of the engine, so I'm going to swing a 4' piece of braided fuel line behind the engine on the firewall and over to the fuel rail.

Should work and look nice too. Now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Elevtric fan and Rad.

Completed the elect. fan retrofit into the 3.0 shroud today.:yahoo:

After bolting the two pieces together with the spacers I sprayed expanding foam in the gap between the fan and shroud, trimed and painted it all.

Looking GOOOOOOD!!:icon_thumby:
I removed the lower rad. support from the truck to give me room to slip the radiator down & behind the original support brackets. This moved the radiator forward about 2" and down about 2". It fit fine, this let the fan and shroud bolt to the original brackets on the fan and had plenty of space between harmonic balancer and fan.

I cut a piece of used rad. hose and placed it on the lower radiator bracket as seen above, the rad. support will sit on top of this piece.
On top I had to trim the corners off the mounting ears to give it clearance under the lip of the top crossmember. I'll have to make a spacer and bolt throught the cross member.

I'll get some photos of the radiator and how it all fit together. I'll rework the lower rad. support and reinstall.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply,
How and where did you connect the return line?
What about the evap vanisters and such. Did you connect the new system from the donor car or use the original stuff? I was thinking along the same line
with regard to the pump and try to just install the CV pump and leave the Ranger sending unit.

Rjaaaaaa
I kept the original evap canisters from the Mazda. Used the original sending unit with a bulkhead fitting in the top for the return line. Ran 3/8"??? steel line parallel with the supply line. Then used the Mark VIII OEM fuel ine to connect on the rail.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Movin along

Finished up the radiator & fan today and got her locked down, nice fit. Welded extention on lower rad. support.:icon_welder:
I've been researching A/C Compressor removal and what is the best way to work around it. I see that they make an a/c comp. delete bracket that is just a pulley w/ bracket to replace the compressor and still be able to use the original belt. I made the same thing using the old comp. for parts.
Remove compressor and dismantle it.

Going to use the front flange w/ it's pulley and bearing to bolt to a mounting bracket.
After fabricating the bracket, it will be mounted in the original location and will carry the belt.

Here is the pulley mounted back in the original position of the compressor.

Here it is installed and the radiator installed.

Thing are moving slow but we're moving ahead. Should be able to put in some good time the next couple of days.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Fuel Lines are here

Received my Mr. Gasket braided fuel line and connectors today. I open up the box and knew right away they were wrong but after checking I found out it was my fault. I must of had one of those senior moments :icon_confused: I checked the angle of the fuel rail inlet but ordered the wrong angle. the fuel rail comes off the engine at 120 degrees, the closest angle I could buy was 150 degrees. The only problem was thaT's not the angle I needed,DAHHHHH :icon_rofl: I should have ordered a 60 degree fitting or even a 45 would work.

Oh well "this too shall pass". I'll get a 45. Anyone need a 150 degree 6AN fitting?????

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
will explorer rails work?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it isn't needed as an idler for clearance I would ditch the pulley altogether and run a shorter belt.

They have the same thing available for my Explorer 5.0 setup, ain't happening.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it isn't needed as an idler for clearance I would ditch the pulley altogether and run a shorter belt.

They have the same thing available for my Explorer 5.0 setup, ain't happening.
Thanks for your input, that's why I'm posting to this site. Someone has already done whatever your thinking about doing and it sure is nice to talk to someone with experience. I'm hoping my build thread will help someone else and encourage them to try something different.
I didn't see a way to route the belt without the pulley. I did see another thread somewhere, this guy added another pulley and then rearranged the belt routing. He still purchased and idler pulley and they're not cheap. Mine was quick and easy and best of all I saved $50 by not buying the kit.
How is that ride of your's doing? Anything new?
Rjaaaaaa

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your input, that's why I'm posting to this site. Someone has already done whatever your thinking about doing and it sure is nice to talk to someone with experience. I'm hoping my build thread will help someone else and encourage them to try something different.
I didn't see a way to route the belt without the pulley. I did see another thread somewhere, this guy added another pulley and then rearranged the belt routing. He still purchased and idler pulley and they're not cheap. Mine was quick and easy and best of all I saved $50 by not buying the kit.
How is that ride of your's doing? Anything new?
Rjaaaaaa
I am working on putting together an Explorer FEAD for it right now, and while I have the timing cover off I finally snagged an HO cam to poke in it too.

I did some looking at it appears the older Mods do require a delete kit of some sort. Can't just skip the A/C compressor pulley and run a shorter belt like the old 5.0's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals