• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
That's a third gen it came stock with 17s so yes larger brakes

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ah. Okay, thanks for clarifying.
I'm really not up on Dodge stuff but trying to learn.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Feel free to ask I've owned 4

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the things I've learned about the Dodge LH drop Dana 60 have been interesting.
First, theres a lot of these out there being swapped out by Dodge owners to get rid of the unit bearings or to add locking hubs (not to mention junkyards, these are pretty common, built from 94 til 2002) but from 94 to 99 the easy way to do both is to swap from the knuckles out for Dana 50TTB parts.
(http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge/874442-dodge-ram-2500-4x4-dana-60-hub-removal-converison-ford-knuckles.html) Pretty much bolts right on.
This makes these axles an alternative swap candidate. :D
More CAD info: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/552028-pros-cons-d60-w-central-axle-disconnect.html

Of course, I have either a 2000 or 2001 version according to the BOM number. So I can't do that. Difference is in the way the ball joints are mounted, the later ones have the nut on the bottom. What I can do is to source a left passenger (long) axle from a 2002 version after Dodge did away with the CAD system.
I found one on craplist for $125, but can't get it for probably a week.
So, to keep this almost in my budget I'm going to plan for a ring & pinion, a lunchbox locker for the factory 32 spline open diff and to add the CAD delete axle shaft. This assumes the unit bearings aren't too bad, in which case its pretty cheap, really.

Later, I'm going junkyard scrounging for the four control arms and track bar to mock it all up in the truck. The stock control arms aren't very long but I need to reference it all to see how it might be modified into my junk. At the very least, it'll get longer arms. Thinking I should use coilovers too.
But don't hold me to any of this. I'm still deep in the learning curve. :icon_confused:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Minor problem. There are all of 2 lockers available for the 32 spline D60.
Powertrax: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/Dana-60-32-Spline-Open-Case-No-Slip.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pn=PTX9204603200
ARB Air locker: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-2893796-dana-60-locker-arb-air-locker-rd165-32-spline-4-10-down.html

Lots of choices for 30 or 35 spline 60's but mines the bastard version. ('00 - '02 1/2)
Neither is budget friendly. More research may be required. :bawling:

Oh, and the long shaft turned out to be for an AAM (not Dana) '03 and later axle.

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Arb is pricey but o think would be good if your going to be on the street

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Arb is pricey but o think would be good if your going to be on the street
Tbh, I'm not a fan of the ARB, especially on the steer axle. In order to steer one tire has to travel further than the other and a locked in ARB (or a spool) prevents that. Some amount of differentiation is needed.
I have an old ARB vhs video that shows a Toyota "ute" trying to turn while locked in. It doesn't, it goes straight despite being steered hard left.

A little deeper digging nets this gem:
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/partinfo.php?partid=DAN:707388X&choice=
But its useless without a solid right side axle shaft.
Back to the drawing board. :sad:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I also have a spool in the front of mine and it's not to bad turning with it. I don't regret doing it and the traction is awsome when u do need it, I would put it back in in a heart beat if I had to build another axle.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't mean to offend anyone with a spool, locked ARB or welded axle, guys. But my non~traditional choice of a Dodge D60 has no provisions for locking hubs so it might not turn with a spool or similar device. Its always on.

My D60 has the awkward 32 spline inner shafts with CAD on the right side. In reading about them, they're surprisingly strong (even the CAD collar) but limit my choices in a locking device. I was hoping to find some way to use as much of the stock internals as possible to maybe save some $$$ but I'll probably need to use the "CAD delete" inner axle shafts to be able to use off the shelf 35 spline guts instead.
Not that the price was terrible on the kit either, its just that I'm a cheap SOB : http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-19358763-dana-60-00-02-dodge-35-spline-longside-cad-delete.html
(Take note of posts 5 & 8: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/552028-pros-cons-d60-w-central-axle-disconnect.html ~ they've got better guts than you might think even with CAD.) :icon_thumby:

I kind of think as the supply of cheap Ford HP Dana axles dries up this axle starts looking better and better. In some places HP axles are very scarce already. This is one alternative to that.

Last edited:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
No offense taken I just forgot their were no lockouts.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
No offense taken I just forgot their were no lockouts.
Its all good.

Dodge has a "5 link" suspension. aka a 4 link with a track bar. This is one way extended control arms mount to the frame of a ram truck.

Pic from 4wor magazine - to be removed shortly.

I'm hoping that this can be adapted to the Ranger. An easy (-ish) 4 link would be sweet. :D

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Off today because the Sploder wouldn't start. Still can't figure that thing out. (I think its not getting spark, although it drove to where its sitting.) :dunno:
Making me rethink the Ranger quite a bit. I think I want as few electronics as possible on that for field fixability. Where if you can't fix it with a hammer, then its an electrical problem.

Edit: Its the fuel pump on the Sploder. :bawling: Hate those things.

Last edited:

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer
I just spent two days reading your entire post and cant wait to see it finished like everyone else im sure. makes me wish I was back stateside and not in this hell so I can finally build my ranger to its potential.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks bcw.
To tell the truth, I'd have finished this thing twice by now if I could settle on one way to do it.
Lately rethinking the front suspension. I want to ditch the track bar by using a three link based on gwaii's Ranger suspension. That dude is a genius and anything I can copy off his truck can only make mine better. Nows a great time to rethink stuff since I haven't started installing the front yet.
Check his build here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91231 (Is this thing outrageous or what?)

The RBV is an awesome platform to build off of. Build it, beat it, break it, then make it better.
:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals