• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Fordzuki

dangerranger0690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
that thing is pretty cool, makes me wanna go build somthin...

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
The last week or so I have been rounding up parts for the brakes, which got interesting when I went to get hard lines. I ended up using stock sidekick right side front brake hoses, as this was a cheap 10" longer than stock samurai alternative to extended brake hoses in the $100 range. The rear I used a stock ranger rear. So basically from the master cylinder, it was all ranger stuff, untill I got to the sidekick hoses in the front and the wheel cylinders in the rear. I came up with a cool little adapter fitting that goes from standard 3/16ths to metric 10mm. These are made by three companies that I found, which are Edellman part# 270300, Everco part# 3025B, or Weatherhead part# 1443. So now the brakes are done, stops very well considering the mixture of parts. I also got the fan and relay wired up, and the drivers seat mounted. Just need to finish a couple of transmission tunnel panels and mount the passenger seat and it will be ready just in time for mud season.

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
those leafs are going to break for sure

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, this is turning out to be a bad-ass build. It's nice to see something going into a 'Zuk other than a 22R or a 4.3 V6. After owning an '88 T-Bird TurboCoupe, I am a real big fan of the ford 2.3. Damn good motors. Just out of curiosity, what are the specs on that black Ex-Cab Ranger you have? And, is there way I can get a Pic of it sitting unloaded on level ground? Thanks lots!

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hey, this is turning out to be a bad-ass build. It's nice to see something going into a 'Zuk other than a 22R or a 4.3 V6. After owning an '88 T-Bird TurboCoupe, I am a real big fan of the ford 2.3. Damn good motors. Just out of curiosity, what are the specs on that black Ex-Cab Ranger you have? And, is there way I can get a Pic of it sitting unloaded on level ground? Thanks lots!
Well, thank you, it was just by luck that I found the ranger with the 2.3 in it, otherwise the powertrain probably would have been Datsun.
The ex cab is my DD, so it's pretty mild, I just threw some SJ132x coils, 3.25 degree bushings and belltech shackles on it, SJ nitro shocks up front, still running the stocks in the back, though I'm thinking I might spring for the SJs when I get the LJ done. The tire/rims are 31x10.50x15 TSL bias ply on 15x8 AWC rims with 3.75" BS. To stop rubbing, I stretched the bedsides about an inch per side, and the front I just moved the wheel liner back about an inch in the back. Aside from this, I extended my front diff breather into the upper back corner of the fender, and ditched the swaybar. Everything else is stock, 2.9/mitsu 5 speed/D28f,7.5r/3.73.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
That's about where my truck is minus any lift. First thing I did was ditch the sway-bar. Little scary in traffic, but well worth it for the extra flex and better ride on the pavement and off. I was just getting some ideas on how to lift the truck cheaply without screwing up the front-end to where it won't go straight. Right now money is a little tight being unemployed and all, but I just got my old job back at the Ford dealership so I should be able to play soon.

As far as the Suzuki, that thing is sweet. I always wanted to do a super light tube frame buggy with a mild 2.3/auto, Dana 30/Dana 35 Jeep XJ running gear and 33's. You don't need big tires around here. Not unless you go out to the rock-crawl parks. I just like to play around. Not climb rocks for days. More trail cruising than anything.

Anywho, I'll stop cluttering up your thread now. Nice build.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
That's about where my truck is minus any lift. First thing I did was ditch the sway-bar. Little scary in traffic, but well worth it for the extra flex and better ride on the pavement and off. I was just getting some ideas on how to lift the truck cheaply without screwing up the front-end to where it won't go straight. Right now money is a little tight being unemployed and all, but I just got my old job back at the Ford dealership so I should be able to play soon.

As far as the Suzuki, that thing is sweet. I always wanted to do a super light tube frame buggy with a mild 2.3/auto, Dana 30/Dana 35 Jeep XJ running gear and 33's. You don't need big tires around here. Not unless you go out to the rock-crawl parks. I just like to play around. Not climb rocks for days. More trail cruising than anything.

Anywho, I'll stop cluttering up your thread now. Nice build.
Looks like you have the same criteria for a lift as I did. Cheap. The coils were around $120, which is only a little over the daystar spacers, and the shackles were something like $65. Both I ordered from Summit.

Thanks again on the positive feedback on Fordzuki, I got a chance to take it out last saturday, and it did very well.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Well, lets see some wheeling pics. BTW, I have a thread going in the show off you truck section. Check it out. Let me know what you think. 31's fit now, but I don't know what I want to do with it yet. I think I may just buy a B2 to build as a trail truck. Better than thrashing my DD. It's survived two months of wheeling so far with no dents or broken parts yet. I take that back. I broke a hub climbing the concrete pad in my backyard you can see in my thread. It was ready to go anyway (always did make funny noises).

Lets see them wheelin' pics. I love oddball, low-buck wheelers.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=4422 Here's the link to mine!

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
hey, checked out your truck, nice score. Looks like the body's in pretty good shape.

Here's some wheeling pics from last saturday, plus a couple short vids.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man! Your ride is looking good. Where you located? That area looks familiar. If you're in Central Oregon, wanna do some wheeling sometime?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'm up in washington, near Tacoma. The wheeling pics are from a buddies back woods, we dug out a couple trails and mudholes back there, and use it for sort of a test area.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
That's awesome. All I have in my back yard is a concrete slab that is about two feet tall. All it seems to be good for is blowing up factory D28 hubs. It's still fun to play around on though. You ever make it down to Oregon?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Not very often, I've been to Sandlake a couple times, but thats about it.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
That sucks. I'll have to head up Washington one of these days. I hear that's where all the "good" wheeling is. I hate it here, you can't fart without the forest service wanting to know what you had for dinner last night. :nono: I have a little bit of a group here that drives RBVs. My buddy Matt has an '88 Super Cab 4X4, and my buddy Mike has a 1993 'Sploder with M/T 31/10.50s. We have fun for now. Till the snow falls and they close it all down because they're afraid we will erode the trails. Just out of curiosity, how the hell do you erode the trail when there is three feet of snow, and a foot of ice under that.

Sorry, plugging up your thread with my rants.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals