• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Double R...

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally had some time to start on the truck this afternoon.

Leaf brackets plasma cut off.

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Removed the overload from the Chevy leafs.

This is the new wheel base.

One leaf set.

Bronco II tank fits like a glove.

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rained most of the day but I got a little more done today...

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good man. Id add a lil plate to your rear shackle hangers since you have them hanging off the frame. You'd be amazed on how much force is on those things

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i may have missed this....is that an explorer 8.8 in the back?

you're mountaineer build has inspired me to do a D30 swap on my b2....picking one up this weekend

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good man. Id add a lil plate to your rear shackle hangers since you have them hanging off the frame. You'd be amazed on how much force is on those things
Thanks boss!:icon_cheers: Yeah I haven't decided how I wanna brace those rear shackle mounts I was thinking I might land the exo cage on the hanger some how so I am holding off on that until I start the flatbed. I need to order the DOM for the cage might do that tomorrow.
i may have missed this....is that an explorer 8.8 in the back?

you're mountaineer build has inspired me to do a D30 swap on my b2....picking one up this weekend
Oh yeah that is an Exploder 8.8 with discs in the rear. I plan on leaving the lower perches they work good as a U bolt skids. Going to build some anti-wrap perches to the top. Normally I add some lift to the perches by making them taller but not sure if I want to this time. Cause the front has a 3 inch lift on it now and the rear is already 5" taller as it sits. Hoping the weight of all the other parts will make the rear settle down some. Plus parking the truck on level ground should help too I hope. I think I will winch it off the flatbed today and see how she sits. Plus working on the flatbed is real PITA! :D

And yes the D30 is a solid contender as long as you beef it up some and stay at 37" or under tires. Make sure to snag Cherokee one 94-99 cause they are high pinion and have the larger joints in the shafts. You can get D44 760x joints and they are a direct fit in the larger shafts. Older axle are ok but I would steer clear of the CAD (center axle disconnect). The cast part of the CAD weakens the tube plus the 2 piece shaft sucks. If you find an older high pinion with the smaller shafts you can take shafts and unit bearings from a 94-98 Grand Cherokee they are same length and use the same unit bearing(I would just swap the shafts there at the junk yard so you don't have to pay extra for the shafts). But all Grands came with larger axle shafts. As long as the Grand didn't have CV shafts. Cherokee 00-01 had low pinion Wrangler axles steer clear of those. Happy hunting!:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Going to order the lockers here soon the front will be high pinion 30 just like the Merc.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And yes the D30 is a solid contender as long as you beef it up some and stay at 37" or under tires. Make sure to snag Cherokee one 94-99 cause they are high pinion and have the larger joints in the shafts. You can get D44 760x joints and they are a direct fit in the larger shafts. Older axle are ok but I would steer clear of the CAD (center axle disconnect). The cast part of the CAD weakens the tube plus the 2 piece shaft sucks. If you find an older high pinion with the smaller shafts you can take shafts and unit bearings from a 94-98 Grand Cherokee they are same length and use the same unit bearing(I would just swap the shafts there at the junk yard so you don't have to pay extra for the shafts). But all Grands came with larger axle shafts. As long as the Grand didn't have CV shafts. Cherokee 00-01 had low pinion Wrangler axles steer clear of those. Happy hunting!:icon_thumby:
yeah i did alot of research before i started looking for one. i just couldnt find an XJ D30 anywhere around here. i knew to avoid the CAD D30's though. the one i'm getting is a TJ D30 with 373's. i have 373's in my 8.8 out back, so i wanted something to match without having to regear (the XJ 30's i did find had 3.07's or 3.55's or something else). i've never done a SAS before, so i'm using it as my guinea pig, i can upgrade later if i want. i'm only running 33's at the most and it will only see forest service roads and mild trails. thanks for the info, end thread jack

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got it off the trailer and fit the gas tank where it will be here are few pics. Hoping to have more time to work on it this weekend.

Got the design for the beadlocks today too!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
is that thors hammer? lol

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had a friend and my son help me work on the roll on paint job today. Two coats down 4 more to go.

Also got some Rancho 7000MT 14" long travel shocks. Trying to decide if I wanna use them on the Merc or Rock Ranger.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's Auburn orange, i like it!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually it is Safety Orange from Team Rustoleum. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals