• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Took a lot of prying to get it past the driveshaft and that lip on the firewall.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
But considering I left the T-case and exhaust on it came out pretty clean.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Separated at last:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Started the teardown of the Exploder today. That rad may be too big for the Bronco. I mocked it into there and I'm going to have to get creative to make it fit. I dropped a '91 - 94 Sploder manual trans rad I had kicking around into it and its the same as the B-II one. The '96 AT rad is wider and puts the lower outlet right into the front of the steering box.
Oh well, "some assembly required" was implied when I took this on. :shok:

And another side project: the hood hinges from the Sploder onto the B-II. No more prop rod. :)

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not much of an update but I'm kinda stuck. The rad support on the B-II is badly rotted out and I haven't had time to locate a replacement yet. I think I'm gonna just remove the front sheetmetal for the time being or at least until I can locate something better. Will a '91 - 94 Explorer rad support interchange? I can't weld so I can't just patch it.

The Exploder is coming apart slowly. I've started cutting wires I think will be useless on the B-II like airbag sensors. I'm going to leave the AC in it until the engines out then transfer it before the 4.0 gets stabbed into the Bronc.

I keep finding parts and parts vehicles I'd like now that stuffs apart and moneys tight. Ain't it always the way? lmao.

BTW, its definitely getting a SAS in the not too distant future and I've decided on the Chevy springs in back. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. Long delay between posts. As far as I can tell, the 91 - 94 Exploder has the same rad support so I'm back searching for a second gen 4.0 Ranger or 1st gen Exploder as a parts bucket. Mine is pretty well toast.

Not much point in patching that. See 4.0B2? Ocean! lmfao!

Should have the engine & tranny out of the Exploder today if all goes well. :icon_thumby:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll stick to my southern no rust rigs...
the only way we have rigs rust like that are either from the north (dang yankees) or rigs that people have flooded and left stuck in the pond for weeks at a time

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The Exploder is nearly finished. Dropped the 2.9 and A4LD into it to reduce clutter around here. I hope this is the only 2nd gen Exploder I use for parts. Was not fun getting the driveline out. Oddly, the 2.9 went in pretty easily. lol
Saved the complete AC system cause it works. Just need the axle and springs, dash, wiring and column and its outta here. :icon_thumby:
Hopefully today. :)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just a quick update. Exploder is gone as of yesterday. Didn't take the column or dash. Project is on hold for a week or so. Woman wants me to work on the yard, Will add some B-II pix later. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude, awesome job on pulling engine, tranny and t case together. I would of never tried it.

Good luck on the project.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Dude, awesome job on pulling engine, tranny and t case together. I would of never tried it.
Heh. I even left the exhaust on.
If I'd known what a PITA it was I would done it differently too. In the end I gained nothing pulling it all out at once anyway. I'm looking for a 5 speed parts truck if I can get one dirt cheap.

Good luck on the project.
Thanks. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I gotta get the last of the inner fenders and rad support off this thing so I can hang the 4.0 in it. Be nicer to work on the front chassis and firewall then too.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure this is the rear I wanna run. Seems like for every few people who love the 8.8 theres one who hates them. I might run it for a bit since I have it, but I'm probably going to go with a Dana 44 instead.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, after like a week of yardwork, a little time to play with my Bronco II. So, of course I ripped it up some more. :)

Took the rusty tin off without really knowing when I'll be replacing it. For damn sure it ain't going back on. Have a line on a cheap ($300) '93 Exploder thats been badly beaten and laid on its side but its a day to get it here and probably another $150 cost. Mostly I'm thinking about it cause its a 5 speed. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals