• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power window problem

gozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 ranger and have been having intermittent problems with my driver’s side power window. Some days it will work and other days it will not. I removed the motor and tested it—works fine both directions. Can the switch cause these types of problems?

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, my passenger switch does the same thing. Have you taken it off and cleaned the contacts?

gozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
No I haven't cleaned the contacts--will give that a try. I did spray it liberally with electrical cleaner--the switch itself not the contacts.

RobP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check continuity through the switch. If it checks out, the problem may be in the master on the driver's side.

gozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Master what? How many components make up a power window circuit? Motor—switch—relay……

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think he got confused with the other post that was having problems with the passenger side...

You are on the right track, clean the switches. The only other thing I can think of is maybe bad ground, and possibly the wires where they go thru the door may be screwed up- but not likely.

gozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so after several hours with a circuit tester I came across the problem. Seems the motor itself had a short in it. I cleaned and tested the switch, was getting 12 volts at the motor plug. When I plugged the motor up I was only getting 6 volts at the plug connector. I removed the and motor tested it with a 12 volt source and it worked. Tested it again sitting on a metal table and it didn't work, picked it up and it worked like a champ. I guess it was grounding/shorting through the bolts that held it to the door. Went to Oreily and bought a new motor--and it is working now--maybe it will keep working this time.

In case some of you others every have to replace a window motor on a 98-2002 here is a set of pretty good steps with pictures:http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-ranger/11517-procedures-replacing-power-window-motor-ford-ranger.html

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool beans. Those intermittent problems can be a bitch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals