• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power steering leak project

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Howdy! 1989 Automatic 4x4 2.9 ...
So I've got what possibly is two leaks in the power steering. One, the front face of the pump, so tucked behind the pulley, is pretty drenched looking.
Two, the top adjustable nut thing on the steering gear box looks like it may be leaking. I believe these two leaks are dripping down and getting onto two different sections of the suspension/frame. But it's tough to confirm this.
I did a pretty thorough wipe down of all the built up fluid that has been coating everything in this section of the truck, and waited a few hours and took a look. Below is a pic of the top of the steering gear box and you can see the fresh fluid. That's after a few hours. Doesn't look like anything is dripping down onto it.
I didn't bother trying to capture a photo behind the pump pulley.

So the two questions are.. 1, regarding the pump.. if there are no leaks at the hose connections but there is fluid buildup behind the pulley, is it time to rebuild/replace the pump? and 2, regarding the steering gear box, it's tough to determine from diagrams in the Shop Manual what I should consider to replace, as in like orings/seals. Anybody know if this is a common symptom, and what's involved?

Attached pic of Shop Manual's steering gear page for good measure....

tempImagexn8sXP.jpg

tempImageSkuF9G.jpg

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If everything is still working well, I'd say just replace the pump shaft seal. I did this once on mine, also once on a friend's truck. Not hard to do with the right tools (you'll need a puller for the pump pulley).

As for the steering box, is that nut tightened down all the way? (its been awhile since I had one apart, I can't recall if it just tightens metal-against-metal to seal it or if there's a O-ring in there)

P.S.,
You have open the page for the manual steering gear in your book (need to go to the section 'Power steering gear'... probably section 11-02C).

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
If everything is still working well, I'd say just replace the pump shaft seal. I did this once on mine, also once on a friend's truck. Not hard to do with the right tools (you'll need a puller for the pump pulley).

As for the steering box, is that nut tightened down all the way? (its been awhile since I had one apart, I can't recall if it just tightens metal-against-metal to seal it or if there's a O-ring in there)

P.S.,
You have open the page for the manual steering gear in your book (need to go to the section 'Power steering gear'... probably section 11-02C).
Ah, thank you! Yeah was definitely on wrong one.

As for the steering gear leak at the lock nut, I’m no longer sure it’s the issue. Im going to wipe it off again and lay a paper towel over it, and confirm that it’s a drip from above. If from above, it would be from the front of the pump, after running down one of the mount plates and over to above the steering gear and then dripping down. I’m hoping that’s what it is so that maybe this is just one leak situation not two.

I did put my large socket wrench to the steering gear lock nut and it didn’t budge in either direction with some solid effort. So at least I know it’s not loose. But I’m not going to mess with it and instead just confirm the above.

So it looks like I’ll be removing the pump and at least replacing a gasket or two. Shop manual mentions that “replacement of rotor shaft seal requires pump disassembly” so I’m tempted to just buy a reman’d pump and install that instead of potentially doing one gasket on pump and installing and finding that it’s more than one seal gone bad and that it needs a full rebuild. I’ll look for some other demonstrations of shaft seal replacement first though. I’ve spent WAYYY too much time on this truck lately so paying 50 bucks for a rebuilt pump I can bolt up sounds amazing haha.

Seems like there are two types of pump pulley removal tools.. one that’s a claw type and one that’s a bolt/nut/clamp type. Haven’t decided what is the most usable going forward for other pulleys, but I’m assuming it’s the claw type which can clasp other pulleys.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Rebuilt pumps are pretty terrible, if you still have the original pump it’s worth purchasing a seal kit and rebuilding it.

You need a dedicated power steering pump puller and installer. A three jaw puller will tear up the pulley, not remove it, and will have no value in installing the pullet.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't recall having to disassemble the pump itself to get the shaft seal and it's retainer out... Either I simply pried it out somehow, or I made a hole in the seal's hard (metal) part with a nail or drill, screwed a sheetmetal screw into the hole, and then pulled it out by pulling the screw (its been some years since last time I did it). The new seal then taps in like most seals do.
It appears the shaft seal only comes in a kit now... Certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the large reservoir O-ring and output fitting seals as well, as these also tend to be leak-prone.

Agreed, reman pumps are very hit-or-miss (usually, miss). Noisiness is the biggest complaint, but some flat-out just don't pump well either.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Alrighty, i suppose it's time for a power steering pump rebuild! If i'm opening things up I'm not going to waste time only doing one seal, will do them all.
I'll check the auto parts stores for rental tools for whatever that makes sense for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals