• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Problem.

SwaintaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Base of the conversation. Have a 1993 XLT 225k Miles. New Battery, New Fender Mount Starter Solenoid, Last year got a new HO Alternator. This year, did the power wire from Alt to Solenoid as a 4 ga w/ inline ANL fuse. From solenoid to Bat, 4 ga. Added a 0 Ga ground wire. Starter in 2006.

Truck would only start when wanting to. Found out it was a Dead Red Top Ultima. So got me a new battery. Sat for a week, ran at start up. Parked it for the weekend, and dead! Same thing was happening with the red top, however the red top did come back code showing bad cells. The new battery (less then a month old) has been checked 3 times; each time good! Alternator since 2 months ago has been checked 3 times; each time good! Just put on the Starter solenoid today (5/17/2011) like I said it ran fine for about the 1-2nd week of new battery, and back to BS games where it dont want to start.

Video from 2 days ago, had the battery tested 1 more time and a full charge done on it (it was sitting at 85% had it charged to 100%) this is what it sounds like when turning the key.

Video----- Chick Me

the first key turn all the way to on position, it just sat there fora few secs, hit my head on steering wheel cussing up a storm! then it started to make this sound... turned it off, back on, sound same but instant this time... so ran inside to get wife so i could video tape. took 3 mins for her to come out, it didnt do anything for 5 secs then sound. every since then its made this sound as soon as i turn the key. please help.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The Base of the conversation. Have a 1993 XLT 225k Miles. New Battery, New Fender Mount Starter Solenoid, Last year got a new HO Alternator. This year, did the power wire from Alt to Solenoid as a 4 ga w/ inline ANL fuse. From solenoid to Bat, 4 ga. Added a 0 Ga ground wire. Starter in 2006.

Truck would only start when wanting to. Found out it was a Dead Red Top Ultima. So got me a new battery. Sat for a week, ran at start up. Parked it for the weekend, and dead! Same thing was happening with the red top, however the red top did come back code showing bad cells. The new battery (less then a month old) has been checked 3 times; each time good! Alternator since 2 months ago has been checked 3 times; each time good! Just put on the Starter solenoid today (5/17/2011) like I said it ran fine for about the 1-2nd week of new battery, and back to BS games where it dont want to start.

Video from 2 days ago, had the battery tested 1 more time and a full charge done on it (it was sitting at 85% had it charged to 100%) this is what it sounds like when turning the key.

Video----- Chick Me

the first key turn all the way to on position, it just sat there fora few secs, hit my head on steering wheel cussing up a storm! then it started to make this sound... turned it off, back on, sound same but instant this time... so ran inside to get wife so i could video tape. took 3 mins for her to come out, it didnt do anything for 5 secs then sound. every since then its made this sound as soon as i turn the key. please help.

Maybe it's me.....but the only "sound" I hear it making is normal cranking and no start? Am I missing something?

SwaintaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, thats the problem, its not turning over to start, even took of starter and attached jumper cables directly to starter... it spins.. if you look at the belt, it looks like its slowish...

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
the speed of the belt looks like it matches up with the rotation of the engine....each of those compression "sounds" is each cylinder during the complete rotation of the crank....it dosent turn it very fast to start...check for spark at the plugs. and also check for positive fuel flow afterward.

SwaintaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how do i check that? thanks.

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Pull one plug out at a time....make it touch the block (a good ground) and crank it a few times...it should throw a spark at a regular interval...dont touch the plug or wire while crankin...it will jolt you pretty good haha...

couple ways to check for fuel....is the plug wet when you pull it out. (if so there prob is no spark at that plug)

shoot a little starter fluid into intake while cranking and if it starts/ wants to start then there is a fuel flow issue.

SwaintaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so this has been a loooonnnggggg battle!!! went out, checked plugs n wires, all good.. sprayed wither starter fluid, its putted twice thats it... had to leave to go a few places and while we were out this is my conversation with my wife

Me: "Hey lets think of the obvious, Oil Good, Rad Fluid Good, tranny fluid good, has gas, new starter solenoid, new wires from alt to battery etc"

Wife: "you know you had something like this last year happened and you hit this black box thingy under the hood cause you were pissed and the truck started"

Me:"S O B why couldnt you remind me of that earlier..."

So we ran home.. she jumped in the ex, i got near the gas tank, no fuel pump wine!!! Swapped the Fuel Pump Relay with the AC relay and wowza... started right up!! SOOOOOOOOOO back to a NEW electrical problem...

I noticed when I swaped out A/C to Non A/c that my Alternator wire between the ANL fuse and Starter Solenoid was burned up at the ANL fuse... so i replace it (its a 4 ga oxygen free wire) well when she got it to start and i was at the motor, the wire burned up again at the damn ANL fuse....

what causes this?!?!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals