• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible Ecoboost Mustang Transmission Swap

TonkaMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As far as I understand it, the 2.3L Ecoboost in the Mustang uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern in the 2.3L Duratec Rangers. The Rangers are all 5 speed manuals, and the Mustang has a 6 speed. More gears usually means better gas mileage.

How hard would it be to bolt one of the Mustang transmissions to a '97 Ranger with a 2.3L? The only electrical connections to the manual in the 97 is the reverse gear indicator switch, and the VSS speed sensor. The speed could be corrected from the ABS sensor in rear diff, and it's been done before by others with the $80 box from Dakota Digital. The reverse indicator is similarly easy. That just leaves an adapter plate between the Lima engine and the Duratec bolt pattern, and possibly a custom driveshaft length. Does anyone have any more information about the Ecoboost transmissions in the Mustang? I can't seem to find much information about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Lima_pattern

I'm planning an eventual Ecoboost engine swap, but those engines are very expensive and I haven't decided between the 2.0L or the 2.3L yet. I'm thinking a transmission swap may be a good first step to get my feet wet until I get the $5K or so for a used Ecoboost and the Ford Racing Control Pack.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tonkaman:

The Mustang 2.3 EB is the same Getrag MT-82 found behind the 3.7 V-6 (Same gear ratios, just different bellhousing). The MT-82 behind the 5.0 has slighter lower (numerical) ratios).

Now, they don't have a great reputation in Mustangs among enthusiasts due to the remove shifter (the same bushings that prevent NVH, also prevent fast accurate shifts.

I was thinking I was going to go the other way: Replace the Lima & its transmission with a Duratech and it's transmission on my latest project. Then move to Ecoboost...

'course what I would really like is the Aussie Ranger MT-82 with 5.44 1st (EB has 4.24, 5.0 has 3.66)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The bell is wrong for your 97's Lima engine. Also, the Mustang shifters are very very different, both in design and location. The shifter on that trans is going to come up under your seat.

The M5OD you have now has the shifter come straight down into the top of the trans about at the mid point. The Getrag 6-speed is about the same length, but the shift lever controls rods that enter the trans from the rear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals