• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible blown amp.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Amp wont power up.

I have good 12v at both the lines, Ang good ground.

Still i have no light, Not even protect.

Screw Sony. Absolute garbage. :annoyed:

Anyone got a idea?

Maybe another amp for sale?

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Buy Rockford Fosgate!

Seriously, Sony amps are garbage. I've had two RF amps and loved them. My first was a lil 200 watt single channel (400 peak), shoved that thing under my seat and forgot about it. Never gave me a bit of trouble and pushed two 12" subs just fine. Then I got what was rated as a two channel 800 watt amp... birth sheet said it put out 915 watts rms. Bridged it down and split the wires off the bridge to drive a pair of 12" 2-ohm subs... yea buddy, that's amp abuse, lol. (did I mention the amp was usually buried behind my seat somewhere?). Only problem was when someone messed with my ground. RF warrantied the fried amp and I ran 4 gauge straight to the negative battery terminal, no more ground probs.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Buy Rockford Fosgate!

Seriously, Sony amps are garbage. I've had two RF amps and loved them. My first was a lil 200 watt single channel (400 peak), shoved that thing under my seat and forgot about it. Never gave me a bit of trouble and pushed two 12" subs just fine. Then I got what was rated as a two channel 800 watt amp... birth sheet said it put out 915 watts rms. Bridged it down and split the wires off the bridge to drive a pair of 12" 2-ohm subs... yea buddy, that's amp abuse, lol. (did I mention the amp was usually buried behind my seat somewhere?). Only problem was when someone messed with my ground. RF warrantied the fried amp and I ran 4 gauge straight to the negative battery terminal, no more ground probs.

Haha, Nice.

I think im either going with RF, Kicker Or my favorite.... Fusion.

aaronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/90
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Doesn't all amps have fuses? I have a kenwood amp that has a fuse

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Yes, My amp has 2 40 amp fuses, But neither or them are blown.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's a Sony amp, nuff said. I knew a guy who had one and when it died he opened up the case to see if he could find the problem (he knew a lil about repairing electronics). Said that there was some green goo coming from one of the parts....

After a careful exam, he threw it in the trash and vowed never to buy sony again for an amp.

I can't vouch for the new RF stuff because both of my amps are the older ones, but I know I've used and abused both with zero problems and heard from a lot of other people who said the same thing. And they usually down-rate their amps. My lil amp I got back around 2001/2002, IIRC. My big one I got around 2005. Both still will kick you in the teeth if you let them.

I've heard mixed reports about Kicker stuff. I don't know if their quality has gotten better in recent years or not, I'm a lil out of date with car audio, but they had some trouble years ago with stuff holding up.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
It's a Sony amp, nuff said. I knew a guy who had one and when it died he opened up the case to see if he could find the problem (he knew a lil about repairing electronics). Said that there was some green goo coming from one of the parts....

After a careful exam, he threw it in the trash and vowed never to buy sony again for an amp.

I can't vouch for the new RF stuff because both of my amps are the older ones, but I know I've used and abused both with zero problems and heard from a lot of other people who said the same thing. And they usually down-rate their amps. My lil amp I got back around 2001/2002, IIRC. My big one I got around 2005. Both still will kick you in the teeth if you let them.

I've heard mixed reports about Kicker stuff. I don't know if their quality has gotten better in recent years or not, I'm a lil out of date with car audio, but they had some trouble years ago with stuff holding up.
Yeah, My boy has a 1400.1 Kicker Class d Monoblock, pushing 2 2010 15" Kicker Comp's

I love that system so much.

Thats why i want to give kicker a try.

And the only reason i like fusion is they use the same color green as my truck, in alot of thier shit.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
When I was heavy into car audio, Alpine and RF were top competitors around here.

And I was ticking a lot of rich idiots off (there was a car audio shop that opened up locally right after The Fast and The Furious move came out that specialized in parting people from their money). I'd hear some kid I went to school with bragging about how he spent $5,000 on a new stereo for his civic (got rid of the BMW/Lexus/Mercedes they were driving to get a black civic). And he'd turn it up and it would sound like crap and be weak. I picked up a pair of 12" subs, car sub box, and my lil RF amp and wired it into my stock stereo. I was louder and clearer than most of those idiots.

And when they found out that I had $350 into my "system," they were really upset, lol.

The other day I was thinking about how my stereo in my Ranger evolved since that first step.... and realized that I now have over $1,500 into the stereo in that truck.... No wonder I'm broke... lol

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know how that is.

I have about... 300 bucks into my radio.

Most i bought used, Traded for Home Audio gear.

I really like alpine, It just seems to used.

Everybody lovvveeesss alpine, I mean yeah, They are good.

but all of my friends have alpine HU's Or 6X9's

Not me, I dont have one piece of alpine in my ride.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
can you at least pull it apart and post pics? I went to school for electronics engineering, I find joy in seeing what failed and where. Hell, you might even be able to repair it for dirt cheap.

As far as alpine goes, my buddy went all out with alpine too. In my opinion though, they weren't as clear as my old Absolute USA's (carbon copy of Pioneer speakers). I'm going Infinity in this ranger though.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
can you at least pull it apart and post pics? I went to school for electronics engineering, I find joy in seeing what failed and where. Hell, you might even be able to repair it for dirt cheap.

As far as alpine goes, my buddy went all out with alpine too. In my opinion though, they weren't as clear as my old Absolute USA's (carbon copy of Pioneer speakers). I'm going Infinity in this ranger though.
I also have a background in electronics.

I took it all apart and i thought, The MOSFET transistors would be the first thing to go.

They are all fine, In working order.

Ok, Lets check all of the caps. fine, Still holding charge.

I dont see anything burnt, Smoked, Disconnected anywhere.

Its a sony amp. oh and btw, people say these amps wiegh so much cause of all the junk inside, Not true.

Its the solid metal case they put it in. Thats all the weight.

Ill try an take a couple pics for ya.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take a DVOM and start poking around to see where the voltage comes to a dead halt. Too bad it isn't something as simple as the signal wire ;)

Thanks in advance for taking time to post pics!

Want alpines for darn near half price of crutchfield??? Dare to compare? I've bought stuff dirt cheap fron OCS, great place for a "steal" like this:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_17569_Alpine_SPR-57C.aspx
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500SPR57C/Alpine-SPR-57C.html?tp=105&tab=review#reviewDynamicContent

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Speaking of amps... that reminds me... I have a RF amp sitting down in my shed. One family friend scraps for a living, he had just got a new load in the one day and sitting there on the pile was a RF amp... a big one like my big one (800 w rms x 2 channel). So I snagged it intending on playing around with it and seeing if I could find what's wrong (yep, background in electronics here too). Might have to yank it out one of these fine rainy days and check it over....

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah... rockford fosgate I assume. Usually in the industry when someone says an RF amplifier, I immediately think of:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals