• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

poping in 4 wheel drive

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys! i have a 98 ranger 3.0 5 speed manual 4x4. for a while the front end has been poping when i use the 4 wheel drive. i haven't been worried about it but tonight it did it really loud when i was trying to drive my dual axle car trailer over a couple of trees. it seems to do it when i turn on a surface that has good traction like rocks or dry mud. I can also generate the pop when i drive forward and put in reverse and pull out sorda fast, like half throttle. As far as i can tell the front tires are pulling just fine. i can fill the noise in my seat when it happens too. It sounds kinda like a big rock flying up and hitting the frame but it sorda has a snapping thud sound too. i checked out the front end tonight and the CV's, drive shaft, and diff. were all solid and my hubs are locked just fine.

whats the deal here???

thanks for the help you guys always know everything.:headbang:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the old auto hubs issue. anyone know if the PVHs are capable of slipping under high torque like the old ratcheting ones would?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It actiually sounds like driveshaft windup to me.

It's normal when you turn on a surface where you have traction.

AD

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive never experienced a popping sound due to windup. scrubbings tires and a bouncing front end, yes.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys! i have a 98 ranger 3.0 5 speed manual 4x4. for a while the front end has been poping when i use the 4 wheel drive. i haven't been worried about it but tonight it did it really loud when i was trying to drive my dual axle car trailer over a couple of trees. it seems to do it when i turn on a surface that has good traction like rocks or dry mud. I can also generate the pop when i drive forward and put in reverse and pull out sorda fast, like half throttle. As far as i can tell the front tires are pulling just fine. i can fill the noise in my seat when it happens too. It sounds kinda like a big rock flying up and hitting the frame but it sorda has a snapping thud sound too. i checked out the front end tonight and the CV's, drive shaft, and diff. were all solid and my hubs are locked just fine.

whats the deal here???

thanks for the help you guys always know everything.:headbang:
That's a classic sign that your hub disconnects are failing to engage the axelshafts on the first try when you switch into 4WD. Often, you may have to slow down completely and move forward slowly to fully engage them.

Causes vary; most commonly its either a vacuum leak prevent the hub from fully engaging or the hub is contaminated and rusted out, making it difficult to engage the axleshaft.

Check your vacuum lines for leaks. If they are ok, take a look at the hub disconnects. They are probably rusted up on the inside from lack of use. These systems need to be engaged at least once a month to lube everything.

michowski

Reaction score
I actually have this same problem with my 93 3.0 4x4. When im going in a straight line the 4x4 is silent. Its when I go to make a turn were it just goes like POP and then goes. Also when its going straight it rolls fine but in a turn it seems to just want to stop or move slow. When its in 2wd everything is fine, silent. Ive had both outer peices of the front axle out when I did my brakes and everything was moving just fine and didnt seem to bind at all. Only thing it can be is the auto hubs im guessing.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
in a turn it seems to just want to stop or move slow.
this is driveline binding. dont drive on high traction surfaces in 4wd...you risk damaging front axle or t-case parts.

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my hubs are LOCKED and the sound is not normal.

yeah hopping and binding is fine and normal, this is more like hop, POW, me cussing, then bind.

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is driveline binding. dont drive on high traction surfaces in 4wd...you risk damaging front axle or t-case parts.
hey man got any other ideas? thanks for the help.

michowski

Reaction score
I never engage my 4wd unless im in dirt, mud, couple inches of snow. Never on dry pavement or anything.

michowski

Reaction score
doug I just payed for some manual hubs, il have those installed by the end of next week. Il give them a try and see if theres any difference.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
doug I just payed for some manual hubs, il have those installed by the end of next week. Il give them a try and see if theres any difference.
this isnt going to fix your "problem". you dont have a "problem". your trying to turn too sharply on a surface with too much traction.

you also have an entirely different front drive system than the original poster.

doug, it really sounds like your hubs are slipping (letting go, then grabbing the next "tooth"). this was a problem with the old TTB auto hubs...but i dont know if the vacuum hubs used on your truck are susceptible to the same issue.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've seen a few reports in the past about t-case chain slippage in some '98-'00 or so T-cases. If a set of hubs doesn't fix the issue, then the t-case might be the next thing to look at.

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well last night i pulled a wrangeler out of a lake bank so i had a good chance to really pay attention to my 4x4 noise. it sounds like a tail gate slamming down!

i think there is a little slippage somewhere but the front end is pulling, i had the mud on my face to proove it cause i was staring at my front tires!!!

Wicked sludge: you're the man, your truck rocks, i hope i can get some pics of mine up one day if i ever get a camra, old one died.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i didnt do anything :dntknw: ....but thanks alot!:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals