• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's F-1Fiddy Build

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Nice. I had to read the wheel swap 3 times before I figured out what you did. So what are you going to do with the factory SD wheels? They don't fit anything you have do they?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Nice. I had to read the wheel swap 3 times before I figured out what you did. So what are you going to do with the factory SD wheels? They don't fit anything you have do they?
The SD wheels go to Griz700rocket. He lives out in Iowa and bought my EB44...he saw these on CL near me, so I grabbed them and held on to them until he had a slow day to drive out.

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I still can't keep track of your wheel shenanigans

99 Mounty: Tons & 42s
97 Dually

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It goofed me all up when you said you were going to do a 8 lug swap... I was like but I know I saw them test mounted on a truck in the pictures. :icon_confused:

It was the Ranger. :icon_rofl:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
It goofed me all up when you said you were going to do a 8 lug swap... I was like but I know I saw them test mounted on a truck in the pictures. :icon_confused:

It was the Ranger. :icon_rofl:
The 8 lug 8.8 is currently under the Ranger so I could roll the truck around.lol U bolts are hand tight and it has no oil in it.haha

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 8 lug 8.8 is currently under the Ranger so I could roll the truck around.lol U bolts are hand tight and it has no oil in it.haha
Is that going in the F-150 then?

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
8 lug 8.8 is 90% done.
Planned on using the 3.55's and open carrier that came in it, but the pinion nut was loose when I bought it...and appears to have been that way for a while.... Splines on both the yoke and pinion where worn, so I decided to regear… already had 3.73s on the shelf.

Ford must have trouble holding the pinion when torqueing the nut…never seen an 8.8 with holes in the pinion head before

I had some fun getting the broken retaining bolt out...hung it from the rafters and supported the axle shaft to allow me wiggle the cross pin and tap the carrier with a tiny hammer while flushing with brake cleaner until gravity took over...

Got it out without having to ruin the pin/carrier by cutting...I did not want to cut it since its an oddball 31 spline with a 3/4" cross pin (most are 7/8”)...but it didn't matter in the end since I found the pin was trashed from too many one wheel peals.

So I decided to grab a Track Lock out off the shelf too.
Used my Ratech pinion depth to finally! Perfect on first try, couldn't be more pleased.

Used stock shims plus .005" to get backlash set and ran a pattern...Looked pretty good, so I left well enough alone.

I used Ratech's pinion shims under the race/cup which makes changing shims much easier. Also used a crush sleeve eliminator kit...this is the third 8.8 I have had the yoke come loose on from the original crush sleeve "crushing" further during hard driving and letting the pinion go loose. Basically the pinion is shimmed like a Dana now.
I was going to paint the cover black or polish it...but it would take to much work to do right and the red was done well, so it's staying. Lol

Also got an extra shifter stub from a buddy and heated and bent it so it doesn’t hit the steering wheel in 1st.

This is as far left as it goes now

Tore down the 8 lug beams and cleaned up the radius arms in preparation for the drop beams. Everything came apart fairly easy...the damn radius arm bolts fought me for about 10 min each, but with the impact and a 48 ball peen they broke free and zipped out.

Donor had brand new pads and rotors….win

Photo bombed

Still tucked away waiting for a once over by the body man

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
One corner done!

Bullnose 1/2 ton BJ beam vs OBS 3/4 ton vs OBS DJM drop beam

The 8 lug Dream Beams and OBS parts all bolted right up.

Took like an hour total.

was hoping for lower...this is a 235/85 tire, I have 225/75s for it and was hoping to tuck a little tire at ride height. I am running the 1/2 ton coils and OBS swaybar/spacer under the spring still. I was hoping to run the sway bar, but looks like I am ditching the spacer which should net me another 1" or so. Hopefully with a good alignment and some miles it will settle down 2" or so from where its sitting in the picture.

New rubber and balance beads.

Hopefully I get my wheels back from the machine shop soon so I can get things mounted up.

The old style steel wheel I bolted up on the front actually rubs the caliper a bit....

Also working on cleaning up the wheels that came on the Mazda beater and putting them on my 2wd Ranger.

Mazda is rocking 31s now and a welded rear.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Bolted up the passenger beam and sat thruck on its own weight...not low enough. So I removed the swaybar mount/spacer and built my own lower coil seat with .25" plate.

F150(no sway bar) vs F250(sway bar mount)

My .25" coil seat

Then I started the rear...

Pulled the 5 lug 8.8 out and slid the 8 lugger under the truck and over the springs. Bolted it down and set pinion angle and burned the perches in.

Ended up making new rear brake lines and replacing the brake hose.

The flip left me with about 3" not including the bump stop....might be a touch too low for pulling a trailer..I am going to remove the stock bumpstop bracket and use a low profile bumpstop bolted directly on. If its still to close, Ill add one more leaf.

The 1/2 ton master pushing on the huge dual piston calipers is not making the "brake pressure differential valve sensor" happy. The brake light flickers when I jab the pedal.

Scrounged up some more 8 lug rollers to put on because I was dying to see it on all four wheels

Looks like the 225/75s should clear well considering it half ass clears the 235/85 on the driver front.

New Lugs

Just waiting on wheels to come back now, then it is alignment time!

The Dingo is getting tired of these back to back late nights in the shop..

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
So what master cylinder are you going to swap in to solve the problem? This thing is hydro-boosted, correct?

Are you going to run swaybars since you will be towing?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Bolted up the passenger beam and sat thruck on its own weight...not low enough. So I removed the swaybar mount/spacer and built my own lower coil seat with .25" plate.

F150(no sway bar) vs F250(sway bar mount)

My .25" coil seat

Then I started the rear...

Pulled the 5 lug 8.8 out and slid the 8 lugger under the truck and over the springs. Bolted it down and set pinion angle and burned the perches in.

Ended up making new rear brake lines and replacing the brake hose.

The flip left me with about 3" not including the bump stop....might be a touch too low for pulling a trailer..I am going to remove the stock bumpstop bracket and use a low profile bumpstop bolted directly on. If its still to close, Ill add one more leaf.

The 1/2 ton master pushing on the huge dual piston calipers is not making the "brake pressure differential valve sensor" happy. The brake light flickers when I jab the pedal.

Scrounged up some more 8 lug rollers to put on because I was dying to see it on all four wheels

Looks like the 225/75s should clear well considering it half ass clears the 235/85 on the driver front.

New Lugs

Just waiting on wheels to come back now, then it is alignment time!

You are not going 'Gone in 60 Seconds' are you? Reference the chalk board in the last pic. Nice pooch by the way.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get magic markers that only show up under blacklight, that way the cops will never know what you are up to. :secret:

And watch where you keep keys with the dingo around... :icon_thumby:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
So what master cylinder are you going to swap in to solve the problem? This thing is hydro-boosted, correct?

Are you going to run swaybars since you will be towing?
Not sure on the master yet. The F-SD master that bolts up to the HB unit is huge. Like 1.375" bore huge. That will make for a stiff pedal, but it would no different than the Ranger I suppose. I need to verify what bore I have now and work from there.

No sway bars. This truck never had them from the factory anyway. With the lower CG and 10 ply tires I can only improve from the previous situation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals