• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
In other news....I did some research in regards to 8.8 brakes today. I'll post up tomorrow when I have WiFi to upload pictures.

Sent from my XT907 using Crapatalk

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
jamie4ltr,

Everyone has their own opinion on how they think they should build their truck. Some agree. Some disagree. It's not your place, or the place of anyone else, to tell people how or how not to build their truck.

Let's not fill this thread up with garbage.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Jim,
Can you just wipe out the last few pages of this thread?

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Jim,
If you look back through most of these fellas older posts Im sure that youll find them bashing on the ttb. Maybe not directly at one individual, more like all of us using a ttb lol. Sorry, but when I read cocky little punks patting themselves on the back and contradicting themselves I find it hard to bite my tongue and not say anything. Read through my old posts/messages. People who give respect, get respect. When someone has a question and I might be able to help I try to answer them without making myself sound like a douche. Unfortunately I havent always gotten the same respect back. I dont go crying to the teacher though. Sniff sniff boo hoo.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Soo. The brake research I did was a pretty big letdown honestly. I found that the 05 E150 still ran the 5x5.5 pattern 8.8 and a had 13” vented rotors. The Police model uses phenolic pistons and the civilian used steel. I was excited to upgrade to vented rotors and the much larger parking shoes. Unfortunately after pulling the axles and removing the entire backing plate assy from both sides in the 10* snow storm I got it all home only to find the backing plate to axle pattern is different from the Explorer/OBS 150 pattern. The Expo pattern is a perfect rectangle bolt pattern, where the E150 setup uses a trapezoidal pattern. The lower bolts line up, but the upper bolts are spaced too far apart. I am unable to modify the pattern on my axle since I will be running the Yukon semi-float conversion flange. The Expo caliper bracket/backing plate limits the rotor size to just over 11” and the caliper cant except anything thicker than the solid 14mm Expo/Vic rotor. I have heard rumors of a vented rotor that will fit in the Gen 2 Lightning caliper (what I am currently running)…not sure if that means it can be retrofitted to the Expo diameter setup though.

If anyone plans on running full-width half-tons, I would recommend looking for the newer E150 8.8 with these monster brakes. Or if anyone with an Expo 8.8 is willing to rework the axle flange to except the trapezoidal pattern, they could have a killer setup. I am assuming the setup requires 16” or larger wheel, but I have not confirmed. It appears the Expo parking brake cables can be used as well.

Explorer pattern

LD F250 pattern

05ish E150 pattern

Here is what the setup looks like. It has the caliper bracket setup similar to the 95+ Ranger front setup.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I am thinking I may look into building a caliper bracket to accommodate the 13" rotor and E150 caliper. If I go this route I will ditch the cable type parking brake and go to a hydraulic line lock setup

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Seth, can you make slots in the bolt holes of the back plate to match up with you axle and then add an alignment pin at the 12 o'clock setting as an extra precaution?

Or what about filling the upper holes with small patches and then re-drilling to the correct pattern?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I don't really want to get into a modified cast bracket. I rather build new out of 1/2" plate. Honestly the combo I have now is great...especially with Hydroboost, but I prefer vented rotors for longevity of the setup. The heat from solids can break down everything faster.

In other news....I think I am getting a free set 35" Nittos for street duty this spring....... If I can get my pile together by then.lol

94BonB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
What about running drilled and slotted rotors? I know they are available for the Explorer rears. Check out these guys: MaxBrakes
Great product, Currently have the xDS rotors on the front of my 02 FX4, honestly a great deal and super glad I decided to give them a try. Or were you really hoping for vented rotors?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I don't really like drilled/slotted they have a shorter service life

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Jim,
If you look back through most of these fellas older posts Im sure that youll find them bashing on the ttb. Maybe not directly at one individual, more like all of us using a ttb lol. Sorry, but when I read cocky little punks patting themselves on the back and contradicting themselves I find it hard to bite my tongue and not say anything. Read through my old posts/messages. People who give respect, get respect. When someone has a question and I might be able to help I try to answer them without making myself sound like a douche. Unfortunately I havent always gotten the same respect back. I dont go crying to the teacher though. Sniff sniff boo hoo.
(plum forgive me please)

personally, i could not justify giving up a d35 to a d44 solid. provided i had a good supply of d35 parts that was cost effective. as the d35 ages though its tough to hold the opinion. the ttb 44 is still available in my shopping areas so going to that is not hard to do and justify to some extent.

i run the ttb to the limit for my style of use and learned a great deal developing and beefing it to my goals. likely i will have a ttb rbv again similar to the build i started years ago just much stronger. ttb requires certain skills and compromises that are not necessarily easily learned when using it for mid to hi level trail work and using it primarily as a street driven vehicle. keeping the alignment with soft springs takes some work.

our wheeling styles and areas we wheel vary wildly to say the least. speaking in the general the strength difference is not justifiable to myself over the handling of the ttb for STOCK d44's. but this is dictated by a guys actual conditions.

once a d44 is upgraded then the comparison in strength grows on an exponent. sure, a stock 260 joint low pinion eb d44 or d30 anything is retarded to me to swap in over a good d35. but upgrade axle shafts are everywhere for these and cheeeeeeep at that. d35 parts are hard to get anywhere.

these guys bashing the d35 have moved past that point of low buck stock to stock comparisons. . so the context of the previous opinion of the 35 is long gone.

that said, i take the d35 bashing in context of actual use.

in a thread like this, no room for d35 support.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
The way i see it spending $ on A dana 35 is like spending $ on a dana 30 sure you can get it a bit stronger then stock yes.

Is that anywhere near the strenghth that your ARE going to end up needing? NO.

So swap in a 44. Very simple swap. If/when it breaks toss in chromos or like seth has buy RCV'S and your pretty well good until the ring and pinion start breaking.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The way i see it spending $ on A dana 35 is like spending $ on a dana 30 sure you can get it a bit stronger then stock yes.

Is that anywhere near the strenghth that your ARE going to end up needing? NO.

So swap in a 44. Very simple swap. If/when it breaks toss in chromos or like seth has buy RCV'S and your pretty well good until the ring and pinion start breaking.
thats why i went right to a 60. i know i kill 30 spline shit, chromo or not.

very simple swap.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Mines a 60 too lol.

One day seth will get there :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals