• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please Help!!!!!

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok there maybe a forum on this but frankly i dont have time, im in a bind. About 2 weeks ago while driving my truck was completely intermittinly droping power. no flux in any gauges when it would happen. i thought ok maybe bad gas, becuase i possibly ruled out pump cuz if i floored it it wouldnt always loose power. BTW it is that absolute worst when backing up!!!! sounds like soft puttering and i have exhaust and CAI. somedays i didnt notice a thing others were bad. well this morning was the worst i drove about a 1/4 mile. i had no power, my hood and engine were vibrating like crazy. this is a very well maintained truck, i mean never missed a beat. NEW; alternator, fuel filter, clutch kit, tranny fluid. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When did she get wires and sparks?
Big JIm

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
she got new plugs and wires 50k ago. yea i know its ime for a change. I thought about that but the loss of power is diff. my coil pack went back before and the exhaust would make a popping noise. no popping noise at all this time around.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not enough info to attempt a trouble shoot.. Loss of power could easily be a stopped up muffler or cat.. Could be a coil or wires or plugs or a combination of them.. Could be fuel pressure.. Could be an electronic sending unit not telling the truth to the computer..
Speak a while about zackly what it does and when it does it... As when idleing..or while the skinny pedal is floored or while at a steady pedal and flat hiway.. Talk to us and lots of guys here will try to help.
Big JIm

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alright i greatly appriciate it. basically im driving, flat highway. idles perfect rpm no probs there. driving in reverse is odd, like no power at all. if i start off the line stay at reasonable rpm, no bucking. then 5th gear, cruising it will start to buck with no change in pedal position. I did just replace the fuel filter about 3 weeks ago and the problem started about 2 weeks ago. this morning was terrible. i mean just terrible vibrations like the engine was sturgglin to the max trying to suck in fuel. i was getting no power. i felt and sounded like i was driving a 4wheeler with the puttering engine. let me know if thers any more details i can give!

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ive read up a lil more in my spare moments... possibly a clogged catalytic converter??

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its a clogged cat you will have a bad power loss, my astro van had a clogged cat, only could do about 50mph floored, i would check the plugs and make sure they are not bad, also check the gap in them

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ive had some power loss over the last 2 weeks and this morning was just rediculous. no power im talkin floorin it goin about 50 mph shakin like a sumbitch

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
after running the vehicle for a while, if the cat is clogged you can see it glow, works best at night, also is will kinda smell like rotten eggs if the cat is clogged

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok well im basically going to troubleshoot 3 things this afternoon, fuel system, plugs n wires, and exhaust. possibly clean out MAF etc... Any other suggestions while im getting my hands dirty??

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Spark plug wire come off?

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
O2 sensor could be giving bad readings or the fuel injectors might be clogged.

mlw20lu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Spark plug wire come off?
your brilliant and im an idiot for not opening my hood and looking. but the plugs and wires needed replacing so i went ahead and tinkered around

copperranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
same boat?

Here's the story. Last year my truck was tuned up. probably put 10K on the od. couple years ago i had replaced all 3 O2 censors. One of them immediately went bad. Don't know why. The MAF was cleaned and the vacuum hoses were checked. When the truck was tuned i could tell it probably hasnt been done for a long time. Gap in the plugs was big enough for a dime. and the fuel filter was so dirty that stuff would come out when shaken. New wires were put on and the guy said the plugs were replaced but i'm not sure. It now has 170K and the other day when i went to start it, it did its normal thing then died. tried again and the same thing. Now if i have the AC off then it almost dies but goes from 200 to 1300rpm several times then finally settles at 650rpm. I've noticed power loss but not a lot. occasionally i feel it kind of shaking going down the road but the tach stays the same but it almost feels like its sputtering. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking the injectors are so old and probably clogged so bad that my O2 went bad and its acting funny. Any less expensive ideas that could work are great.

On a side note. Any muff shop can check your cat in 15 min. for free

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Do either mlw or copper have a CEL and codes???? Can things really go this far askew without error codes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals