• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picked up a new rig but it has a loud bang when you take off in first

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They do charge more but their parts are usually the upper end of quality instead of the "valuecraft" or whatever like Autozone and others with multiple options. I think the $35 was my cost through work, I think I cheaped out and used a mount I had on hand for the other side...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I replaced them and problem solved but I spent 57 buck apiece on them because I needed this truck asap so I couldn’t wait for rock autos shipping. Sometimes I wonder if Napa has lube for the customers if you know what I mean
Napas seem to vary wildly in price. The one in my town is usually pretty close in price to advancedoreileyzone, but ive been to others that are ridiculiously high.

Problem ive had with napa is they seem to have to order everything.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Napas seem to vary wildly in price. The one in my town is usually pretty close in price to advancedoreileyzone, but ive been to others that are ridiculiously high.

Problem ive had with napa is they seem to have to order everything.
The one close to me charges a little more and like your experience, they never seem to have anything in stock part wise. They have to order everything. Between that and their horrible hours, I don’t bother using them.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I lost 6 out of 8 lug studs on one corner of my F350 (with the camper in the truck bed and towing the '90 Ranger, like 18k pounds combined!) at one point and it happened at around noon or 1pm on a Sunday, the Napa in small LaPine Oregon was open and had I think 7 studs and lug nuts and I was able to drive home (had a jack, cordless angle grinder and all the tools for the job...). I was VERY thankful for that. I'd previously felt a slight vibration at 70mph that got bad once I accelerated from a stop and shortly thereafter found the issue... got VERY lucky...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I lost 6 out of 8 lug studs on one corner of my F350 (with the camper in the truck bed and towing the '90 Ranger, like 18k pounds combined!) at one point and it happened at around noon or 1pm on a Sunday, the Napa in small LaPine Oregon was open and had I think 7 studs and lug nuts and I was able to drive home (had a jack, cordless angle grinder and all the tools for the job...). I was VERY thankful for that. I'd previously felt a slight vibration at 70mph that got bad once I accelerated from a stop and shortly thereafter found the issue... got VERY lucky...
Yeah you for sure got lucky.

The worst thing ive had happen the past few years was on a trip up north with my F250 towing my quads. The leaky manifolds cooked a plug wire and i had a miss...auto value saved me that time.

Not nearly as serious as what you went through though. I did burn myself changing it in the burger king parking lot if that counts lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I looked at it and the old owner bolted a chain from the motor to the frame and I’m thinking that might be causing the bang
Chevy had a recall in the late 60's/early 70's on their motor mounts that added a steel strap or a chain as an emergency tie down for the left mount. That's probably where he got the idea. In the solid throttle linkage days, when the mount broke and the engine lifted it would pin the throttle wide open. If the right side mount broke,the engine would lift when engaging reverse and smash the distributor cap against the firewall.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Chevy had a recall in the late 60's/early 70's on their motor mounts that added a steel strap or a chain as an emergency tie down for the left mount. That's probably where he got the idea. In the solid throttle linkage days, when the mount broke and the engine lifted it would pin the throttle wide open. If the right side mount broke,the engine would lift when engaging reverse and smash the distributor cap against the firewall.
Hmm, never knew that. I always chained my engines down because I thought it made power to the rear wheels quicker. If you weren't using power to lift the motor then it must be going to the tires. I was street racing back then.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hmm, never knew that. I always chained my engines down because I thought it made power to the rear wheels quicker. If you weren't using power to lift the motor then it must be going to the tires. I was street racing back then.
Solid logic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals