• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picked up a '04 ranger today!!

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So long story short the 93 is getting too unreliable for the wife to drive as a DD for school and whatever else, so Thursday night we craigslist rangers and land on an 04 for sale where i work about 45min from home. Call the guy Friday, he comes by my work, we take a spin, i tell him im interested but 'gotta talk to the wife. Take it for another spin today and just couldn't find anything electrically or mechanically wrong. This is my 5th ranger...

The price reflected that it was in a roll over and as it turns out unbeknownst to the guy i purchased it from, the truck was also in a front end collision 8k miles into its life- according to carfax. The truck has 100,455 on it now. purrs like a kitten, all new fluids all around. no mods. forgot to get the door sticker to decode the options, but i think this has the torsen LS? anyhow, new battery and tires, so shes ready for winter!

im going to slap a tonau cover onto the bed that i have laying around just to clean it up a bit. its got some rusty chrome, some paint chips, and yes the bed is tweaked, but i can't believe how solid the drive is on this thing...

Attachments

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good for you - Nice looking truck. What year?

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Look up the axle code on the label on the driver's side door. That'll tell you for sure what axle you have. I'm almost positive that you do not have a Torsen equipped axle though. If memory is correct the Torsen diffs were only available on the FX4 Level IIs. It would be more likely that you have a limited slip unless the owner before you was able to find a Torsen equipped axle and swapped it in. Very nice looking truck BTW.

F8LBITE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Congrats. Nice looking ttruck, looks taken care of.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Copy that on the torsen. It does feel like a LS back there, which is fine, whichever it is. its really only going to see light offroading if ever.

i punched it pulling out in some slick gook and it felt like it slid then hooked up in the back end, so im guessing its got a LS, which i miss having. just need to make sure the wife knows what to expect going from an open to a LS.

By all accounts, yes, its been taken care off aside from the two reported collisions. I'm going to spend more time with it tomorrow....im very pleased with it, i feel very good about everything considering how fast it all went down.

........ima be slowly, one crank at a time, leveling it a lil...."it looks fine now, i like how it looks, i dont want it feeling im way up there like the red truck feels"....i figure if its one crank at a time, she'll never know :woot:

Last edited:

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Score! and P.S. She'll notice after it's done. We do notice things, men. lol might take us a little bit, but we do notice.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lol, yeah, your right, i've yet to get something past her. hell, she'll come home after im soldering something in the basement. No hello, no kiss, its "whats burning?". My neighbor and i were joking about it. we'll just see. She doesn't want to drive it until its insured, not even around the block, so we'll talk after she gets driving it. its not a deal breaker, i just don't like a raked look.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The sun is out so im going to try getting the cover on the bed for sure today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals