• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Photoshop Thread.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you like it so much, care to tell me how to paint? :D
thanks alot
Not a problem

Painting can be done in MANY ways. The simplest is to create a new layer above the image layer and using a medium sized brush paint with the desired color on the new layer. Do not worry about getting things perfect just yet, just color the whole truck pink (or you color of choice - LOL). Now lower the opacity (the % box at the top of the layer dialog box) so you can see through the paint you just laid down. This allows you to use the eraser to fine tune the edges, remove paint from lights and windows and such. I know this sounds like a lot of steps, but remember - in the beginning you must learn to crawl before you can walk says the wise man (not me just a bad interpretation). After doing the fine tuning with the good ole eraser, then raise the opacity back up to 100%. This will give you a solid color over the areas to be changed. The layer blend modes (at the top of the layer dialog box) are set to normal as a default, click the drop box and play with them til you get something you like - don't like it undo or change back to normal. Remember - all this time we are working on a separate layer not the base image. Also it is good practice to work on a copy of the original to prevent damaging the original - to do that when you open it go File, Save As and give it a new name like New Paint 1 or something.
For more realistic paint changes, there are many more steps involved and more tools such as the lasso tool, pen tool, adjustment layers and more. I am not that skilled at writing step by step tutorials, but I can lead you to a site or two that have car chop tutorials. Hope this helps - sorry so long.:bye:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lifts - yes sir those are easy - you just have to fill in the area with a color selected from under the vehicle. I really wish I could write tutorials with screen shots . . . never made one.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
wow thanks alot man,
Im goin to work on the painting tips you gave me, and while im workin on that could you possibly work on a 4" lift for me? thanks, also you can use the picture i gave on page 1 of this thread for the sunvisor..thanks

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
so how exactly do i do a new layer?

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Photoshop tutorials and automotive chop sites - I don't know if this is permitted so please forgive if not. Just a few places where you can find PS tutorials for working on cars.

Photochopshop - these guys are good here - tutorials are excellent also.

Worth1000 - a fun PS contest site that has tutorials also

Goodtutorials - over 60,000 tutorials - this an excellent site to build basic skills as well as learning advanced skills

There are many more site out there - just google Photoshop Tutorials or Photoshop Chop

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i think it would be easiest on everybody if i just give up, lol

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so how exactly do i do a new layer?
:huh: LOL

In the Layers Dialog Box - the box with you original image layer - look a the bottom and you will see a small icon that looks like a square with a smaller square in the corner (that is what mine looks like) - click on that for a new layer OR
Click on Layer at the top of the screen, then click New and Layer - the long way home . . . but that will work also.

Will work on the lift . . .

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
when i click new layer on the top like the second one u said, it only gives me a text box

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
wait, i think im gettin it

edit------------------------

nope, i give up..

im just going to go watch Three's Company

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah - that is so you can name your layers - like body blue, or body red or Swampers or whatever - so you can just look at the names and find the layer you want to make active. Active layer??? Yeah - when you click on a layer in the Layer dialog box, you make it the active layer - this is the layer all of your work will take place on. If you want to paint - do it on the active layer not the background layer. Ok?

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Das Liften Trucken (spoken in bad German Impersonation)

I lifted it about the width of you rear bumper.

:icon_thumby:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wait, i think im gettin it

edit------------------------

nope, i give up..

im just going to go watch Three's Company
Ok fine, be that way, :annoyed: I suppose it is off to bed for me then . . . damn and I was having fun:icon_bounceblue:. J/K - later :bye:

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Danger06Ranger - I can change the color if you want - sorry I should have googled it. The hardest color to do is white - I still have yet to find a way to do it without the body washing out completely. I love Photoshop - PS rules . . . . LOL

Edit: Oh the Hell with it - here is a remake closer to SB using the pic you posted . . .

Hazmat, you rock. I give rep for your work. Wow... just... wow...

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Danger - It may have been quick down and dirty but I try to do the best I can.

Thanks again

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For filling in a new layer, you can use Alt+Backspace to fill with the foreground color or Ctrl+Backspace to fill with the background color.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals