• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Performance enhancements best bang for buck?

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an '03 2WD ext. cab with the 4.0L SOHC. Stock w/ 160k miles. I'd like to improve the performance and am wondering what the best bang for the buck would be. This is my daily driver so I can't take it out of commission for long.

The X-charger supercharger looks like an awesome mod, but I don't think I'll ever convince the spouse that $4.2k is a reasonable amount to spend on that (I could probably convince myself :)).

I could swap the engine with a 5.0L v8, but I hate the idea of tossing the perfectly good engine that I have. I also know that means it would be out of commission for a while.

I was wondering whether new exhaust systems really do provide a performance benefit? Well, more specifically, can you feel the difference? I'd welcome a system with more character in the sound, but I wouldn't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Loud like a stock motorcycle cruiser would be good. Any suggestions?

Any other ideas I should consider?

thx

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
There's really not a whole lot to be gained without spending some decent coin. Smaller engines don't seem to respond to exhaust like bigger engines. I've never noticed a difference in power with exhaust on my 2.9 or 4.0 OHV but I did notice a fair difference on my Dakota (v8). Your SOHC will really rev and makes a lot more power than an OHV so maybe you'd notice it a bit. A good programmer combined with exhaust would probably be your best bet. Depending on your current gear ratio and tire size, deeper gears can help too.

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. By 'decent coin' how high are we talking? It would be great to spend less than $1k.

BTW, it's got an auto transmission in case that matters.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why spend 4.2 g's? Go to supersixmotorsports.com and for 2 g's you can have a vortech unit. Also you can go naturally aspirated with their 2500 stage 3 system with upgraded heads, cams, etc. good to about 250 hp with the basics I believe (its been a while since Ive been to the site.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
give juanco a try and see what he can do, or recommends.He is known as the sohc guru here in san diego. Has all kinds of tricks up his sleve I hear for getiing power out of the sohc.

or
juan@fiberwerx.com I belive is his email.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals