• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parting an old Ranger- what to keep?

stan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm parting out/saving the good parts, but I don't want to overlook something that might be needed on my next Ranger. My current one is an '85 2.0 4X4 four speed. Keep everything not rusted would be my choice, but that's not going to be practical. Anything like one piece windows, vents, instruments, etc that should be thrown on the parts pile?

thanks,
Stan

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Supposedly the radius arms have a better design than newer parts...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My thoughts... if you have the space to park the truck keep it until you get the next ranger and swap what you need off of it and part out the rest. Maybe keep the transfer case and front drive shafts.

Pull the engine and tranny if they are good but the newer M5OD will be a better transmission than what you have so if it has issues scrap it with the truck.

If you do not plan on getting another first Gen I would just part it out and scrap the rest

AJ

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, those 4 cylinder 4x4's are rare and getting medium rarer...or is that steak? But I'd agree also with AJ to keep as much as possible...they are scraping and crushing those older vehicles in Canada so finding parts for a 1st gen Ranger is not easy...not that you can ship anything to Canada without paying through the nose...but...

Anyway, do your doors have the vent windows? Those are rare also and can fetch a few hundred each if in good shape...but, then again, some places still sell replacement parts that are new...maybe check with a local parts store and junkyards to see if they have anything in stock...if so...your call at that point...find out what they go for new if available or if the junkyards have parts and how much they sell them for...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1st gen ranger, if staying with the d28 - keep the axle shafts, they are getting hard to find. If the gears are 4.10 - keep those. steering box and column. manual hubs.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Something else to think about...

if this is a running and driving vehicle, and the rust issues are not affecting the safety, keep it licensed/ insured etc and drive it until you get the better looking truck. this way you will have all of the mechanical parts working when you do start swapping out parts or selling them.

if you let it sit in the back 40 (or even the garage) for a few months/ years you will run into issues from it sitting like dry rot on the hoses/ tires, seals leaking etc..

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good inner door handles are not the easiest to find, same for dashpads. Lockout hubs are hard to find in a pinch. If a longbox the rear driveshaft makes a dandy bed divider, I use the one from my parts truck to keep my toolbox behind the cab.

It really depends on what you are upgrading to, if it is a 2011 not much will interchange.

4x4 4cyl I would almost pull the trans if nothing else to sell.

shapatan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Those are rare also and can fetch a few hundred each if in good shape...but, then again, some places still sell replacement parts that are new...maybe check with a local parts store and junkyards to see if they have anything in stock...if so...your call at that point...find out what they go for new if available or if the junkyards have parts and how much they sell them for...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals