• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

parking brake going out

brianb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Possibly stupid question, but i'm asking it. My parking brake is going out, if I park on a incline, it will creep a little...sometimes I leave it in gear to avoid this. Is this adjustable, or is it because my rear brake shoes are probably old and worn. 2001 Mazda b2500.

Also, sperate question, suspension is squeaky when going over bumps....any suggestions?

DookieTx1911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Possibly stupid question, but i'm asking it. My parking brake is going out, if I park on a incline, it will creep a little...sometimes I leave it in gear to avoid this. Is this adjustable, or is it because my rear brake shoes are probably old and worn. 2001 Mazda b2500.

Also, sperate question, suspension is squeaky when going over bumps....any suggestions?
I don't want to sound mean, but since no one else has chimed in; I'm going to suggest that you take your ride to a shop or buy some beer for a friend with mechanical experience.

Pengy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Backup at a moderate speed, and apply parking brake, this adjusts your rear drums. Repeat a couple of times, if it still doesn't want to apply, take off rear wheels and manually adjust the shoes by turning the bottom knob thing with a star wheel on it until you can't fit on the drum anymore.

Grease up your front sway bar bushings.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
What Pengy said.

However, on the method of manually adjusting your brakes, I have a slightly different method.

1. Block the front wheels and jack up the rear axle off the ground; put transmission in neutral.
2. Get a brake adjusting fork (or flathead screwdriver) and locate the inspection port in the bottom of the backing plate to the brake drums.
3. Remove rubber plug (it may be missing, no big deal) and adjust star adjuster until it causes the wheel to drag slightly.

Note: the adjuster should only turn one way. There is a device on the opposite side that keeps it from turning backwards (causing the brakes to loosen up). Also, both sides have different threads, that is, one turns left to tighten, the other turns right to tighten.

4. Once the wheels start dragging slightly, have someone push about a little less than halfway down on the e-brake pedal. This should cause the wheel to be so solidly locked in place that you cannot turn it by hand.
5. Lower rear axle and unblock wheels. Check e-brake again on incline.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You shouldn't have to be moving for the auto adjusters to work. Make sure they aren't frozen and that your shoes are not shot.

Pengy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
What Pengy said.

However, on the method of manually adjusting your brakes, I have a slightly different method.

1. Block the front wheels and jack up the rear axle off the ground; put transmission in neutral.
2. Get a brake adjusting fork (or flathead screwdriver) and locate the inspection port in the bottom of the backing plate to the brake drums.
3. Remove rubber plug (it may be missing, no big deal) and adjust star adjuster until it causes the wheel to drag slightly.

Note: the adjuster should only turn one way. There is a device on the opposite side that keeps it from turning backwards (causing the brakes to loosen up). Also, both sides have different threads, that is, one turns left to tighten, the other turns right to tighten.

4. Once the wheels start dragging slightly, have someone push about a little less than halfway down on the e-brake pedal. This should cause the wheel to be so solidly locked in place that you cannot turn it by hand.
5. Lower rear axle and unblock wheels. Check e-brake again on incline.
I don't have the access hole on my 2000 b2500 which is why I suggested the backing up way.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't have the access hole on my 2000 b2500
Really? Damn.

I know about the back up and stop hard method. I just offered a different way to get to the adjuster for him, if it's possible, of course.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals