• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Packing Tie-Rod Ends

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm replacing all of my tie rods, drag link etc. I've been buying parts in a kind of piecemeal fashion from various manufacturers. Now that I've got them all, I notice a difference among them. Some of the rubber ball joints on the ends are easy to lift up, and are full of grease. Others cannot, as far as I can tell, be removed and I'm not sure if they're packed or not

My question is, does anyone know what I need to do? If I can't get inside to pack it with grease can I assume it doesn't need packing? And does that make this an essentially non-serviceable part? I'd hate to put this together only to find out something is un-greased. And I also don't want to go tampering with rubber joints that may not be designed to be removed.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they should have zerk fittings on them so that you can fill them with grease and service them periodically. If they dont have zerk fittings i would return them and get some that have the fittings in them.

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
zerk fitting

zerk fittings, got it. Thanks man. One more question. None of the parts I'm removing have fittings on them. So are they meant to be unscrewed and taken out between servicing? Or do I just leave everything with its fittings attached? Maybe it doesn't make any kind of difference at all, I just don't want to leave room for grease to get pushed out the bottom of any joints.

Thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals