• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oversize A/T Tire Experience

PNW Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
lil_Blue_Ford

I ended up getting a set of 30x9.5x15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires. Perfect tires for this 1998 Ranger. Really improves the stance. Of course, I had to upgrade the tires from the Walmart/OEM size tires. For my family's safety.

I don't notice a big difference in drivability. with the slightly larger tires. But still, I'm always looking to improve this old Ranger? Would installing a TransGo shift kit improve the performance and/or driving experience of this Ranger. I'm going to hang onto the Ranger, so not afraid to throw a little money at it. Just trying to understand the benefits of the shift kit.

Again, I have a 3.0 Liter V6 and the 4 speed (3 speed +OD) automatic transmission.

Thanks
Alan C.
PNW Ranger

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Did you guys say full version or lite version of forscan?

Probably full, huh?
So I never tried lite because I originally got Forscan to program keys which the recommended setup was the full version on a laptop with a corded connection (no wifi or Bluetooth adapters) to prevent the chance of signal disruption when doing the keys. So that’s what I use.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lil_Blue_Ford

I ended up getting a set of 30x9.5x15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires. Perfect tires for this 1998 Ranger. Really improves the stance. Of course, I had to upgrade the tires from the Walmart/OEM size tires. For my family's safety.

I don't notice a big difference in drivability. with the slightly larger tires. But still, I'm always looking to improve this old Ranger? Would installing a TransGo shift kit improve the performance and/or driving experience of this Ranger. I'm going to hang onto the Ranger, so not afraid to throw a little money at it. Just trying to understand the benefits of the shift kit.

Again, I have a 3.0 Liter V6 and the 4 speed (3 speed +OD) automatic transmission.

Thanks
Alan C.
PNW Ranger
Glad you’re happy with the tires!

I would definitely get the tire size adjusted in the computer, since shift points, power, odometer and speedometer are all affected by tire size. It may be relatively minor, but worth doing if you can.

A shift kit and keeping any adjustable bands adjusted correctly will help with accurate, quick shifts with a minimum of slippage. Slippage builds heat and heat is the enemy of automatic transmissions. Shift kits also help address particular known problems. Looks like there’s more options now than when I originally looked into it. I’m not exactly sure which transmission you have, but it can probably be identified from the trans code on the door sticker

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Glad you’re happy with the tires!

I would definitely get the tire size adjusted in the computer, since shift points, power, odometer and speedometer are all affected by tire size. It may be relatively minor, but worth doing if you can.

A shift kit and keeping any adjustable bands adjusted correctly will help with accurate, quick shifts with a minimum of slippage. Slippage builds heat and heat is the enemy of automatic transmissions. Shift kits also help address particular known problems. Looks like there’s more options now than when I originally looked into it. I’m not exactly sure which transmission you have, but it can probably be identified from the trans code on the door sticker
I need to bite the bullet and get Forscan, I want to make a new key as my current one is almost completely worn out, and I want to save my backup as, well, a backup. Plus I still haven't tweaked stuff after putting on bigger tires.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Any suggestions for the adapter to get? it feels like there are a million out there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any suggestions for the adapter to get? it feels like there are a million out there.
That I can’t exactly say other than maybe go with something recommended from Forscan that has a CAN/BUS switch. I only have a basic cable and really could use upgrading to a better cable

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This one if you have a laptop...

OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter https://a.co/d/0wY2qnS

Both these are the recommended adaptors by forscan.

Dsatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger XL, 4x4, automatic transmission, 3.0 Liter V6. It has the stock tire size 235-75R-15, Walmart specials. Just looking a the rig, it's obvious that the tires are undersized for the wheel wells. So I'm considering buying a set of bigger A/T tires, either 30x9.5R 15 or 31x10.5R 15.

I'm looking to do mild off-roading on the forest roads here in the Seattle area. Not rock-crawling. I'm looking to keep the Ranger stock otherwise.

If you've installed oversize A/T tires on a similar Ranger, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. Good, bad, unexpected, or quirky.

Thanks

PNW Ranger

Dsatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 ranger XLT 4.0l 4x4 with 35" mud tires with just a 3"body lift and yes they rub the frame when turning deep left or right and that's with 2 1/2" spacers. Had 33 12.50s on there with no lift just adjusted torsion bar a little and had no problem at all, no spacers, no rubbing. 31" is where you want to be, you will have to do nothing but put them on and drive that thing straight up a tree. Hope this helps

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I haven't run into anything this adapter can't do with Forscan.

VGate Vlinker

I've had it hooked to an 04 Mustang, an 01 F150, a 15 Explorer, a 16 F150, and a 15 Sentra. Could read all sensor data on all of the above and on the 15 Explorer and 16 F150 had multiple pages of options. Even crazy things, like stealth mode for police usage on the Explorer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals