• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Out with the big boys

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, I finally got to go out with the local 4x4 club. They are a cool group of guys with some HARDCORE rigs. Only two hardcore's came out for a little Sunday run. 4 trucks in total.

The club president: Red XJ, D44, 9", 40" rubbers
Club member: old CJ7, chev350TBI, 44" boggers
Me: 5.0L, UNDERWHELMING 35" BFG Boggers
Other noob: Old Nissan 4runner, stock, 31" mudders

I didn't get enough pictures, but we had lotsa fun, it was raining the whole time so things where MESSY.

Rolling out of town behind the CJ.

Then, I was the first one to dive in.

And winch myself out.

Everybody LUUUUUUUUVVVVS TTB steering. :bad:

Here is the Nissan teeeeetering on a slipperly ledge above a big gross puddle.

Random trail shot, the XJ is wicked knarly.

Then he made up a new game, "hide the 40in tire"

The CJ couldn't afford to be outdone, so he had to play aswell. (remember he has 44" rubber, OMFG)

After that, he backed out with NO issue, chose a different line and WALKED through it.

Fun (wet) day.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that is quite the HOLE, damn.

and nice TTB mud plow buddy, i know all about it :fie:

rig looks good with the new 35s :pray:

Skeleranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the 44" boggers mite as well be tractor tires. haha thats awesome. nothing like a good day of wheeling

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
boy that CJ looks like a well planned out rig. he just barely clears those meats.

nice bump steer action photo :icon_cheers: time for the prerunner steering setup?

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once picture I missed

And all though I do love running 35"s, (notice the areo-dynamic fenders :black_eye: ) My 'BFG Bogger' were NOT that impressive, my old 32" TSLs would have done lots better with that mudhole.

Dude said the 44's weighted in at 175lbs each, just the rubber, not couting the 30lb rim. I honestly figure the lbs ABOVE the spring bolts is equal to the lbs BELOW the spring bolts.

boy that CJ looks like a well planned out rig. he just barely clears those meats.

nice bump steer action photo :icon_cheers: time for the prerunner steering setup?
It is an incredibly well planned out rig, he was lucky(?) enough to buy it that way. I love my truck because I built it, but each to his own, i'm not about to think poorly of him because he bought a rig AND I met him and he's a super dude. If he was a douche it would be a different story.
Ya, about the steering, I am going to do my best to maintain the alignment so it's roadable, but as far as being fussy where the tires point in situations like that......... I have other ways to spend my time! lol

Last edited:

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And all though I do love running 35"s, (notice the areo-dynamic fenders :black_eye: ) My 'BFG Bogger' were NOT that impressive, my old 32" TSLs would have done lots better with that mudhole.
i currently run BFG M/T's also, and previous to that i ran ProComp M/T's--even though they are quite similar, i had far less 'stucks' with the Pro Comp's (although that just may be because i am more adventurous, and have lockers f/r now).. but the BFG M/T is decent, of course far better than any all season or all-terrain.

but as far as a M/T tire vs. a TSL or bogger, you are totally right. even on rocks sometimes i am spinning all 4 tires, when a rig with tsls and just a rear locker can go right up.. although the two rigs i am thinking of--the guys always air down to at least 20psi, while i am running 35psi.. i rarely bring an air tank, and hate driving home aired down (all the good trails are 45 minutes away).

bfg m/ts let me down multiple times already, fully caked up.. (just threw in the URLs as to not muck up your thread with my pics)
http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-sf2p/v287/207/104/513533454/n513533454_1029818_1678.jpg
http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-sf2p/v287/207/104/513533454/n513533454_1029825_3707.jpg

believe it or not, this was stuck--i had tried to go up that steep hill, only to make it halfway.. and then slid back down on the brakes. then i was almost over the bank lol. sketchy situation
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v287/207/104/513533454/n513533454_1101140_5123.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v287/207/104/513533454/n513533454_1101145_6764.jpg

very long story short, time for you and me both to find some 36" TSLs :)

Last edited:

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
very long story short, time for you and me both to find some 36" TSLs :)
The dude I bought the 4.88 axle off of has four 36" IROK's for sale. about 70% tread. I'm hoping to get them cause I can get them cheaper than new, but after this 'used tread' experience I am defiantly considering new. (althought.... 70% IROK's with my groover.......:icon_idea:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
One little detail he left out....I only have 3 TSLs. The 4th tire is a MT and I still walk up some stuff with out the front locker that he has trouble with.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
dan want lift and tires and big motor.....dan want wheeling!!:pissedoff:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Everybody LUUUUUUUUVVVVS TTB steering. :bad:

That steering geometry is near perfect, I don't know what you guys are always complaining about! :tease:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
looks like a good time! gotta get some more aggressive tires for that bad boy, that one pic in the mud/water they look bald.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dan want lift and tires and big motor.....dan want wheeling!!:pissedoff:
Those things make it more fun, but you dont need them!! The nissan had tiny tires, stock motor, stock suspension. All you really need is tow points and a friend with a dope rig!! lol. The nissan climbed a hill I really didn't think he was going to make!

That steering geometry is near perfect, I don't know what you guys are always complaining about! :tease:
The gross part is I'm currently toed out approx 8* at curb height. I used to be nicely toed in, IDK what happened, perhaps abuse on the steering stretched some stuff? IDK. I'm not going to waste time on it untill I swap in that other axle anyways, It can' roll like it is till then.

looks like a good time! gotta get some more aggressive tires for that bad boy, that one pic in the mud/water they look bald.
ya, the did act bald, even with all that grooving and voids they just filled up and brought the suck. :annoyed:

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just another 35, with 4.88 gears and an ARB. WootWOOT, all 4 tires 100% locked baby'

Not All There

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good to see claytons products being used out there.

Damn thats a big hole

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals