• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Our trip to Tin Cup ORV 8/15/09

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So on the 15th we decided to head up to Tin Cup ORV area up in Chase MI. Fun place to go. It was a nice day, sunny and 80*. SO we start down the trail and about 15 min into it we came across this fella...

He was stuck in a deep mud hole that I have drove past a few times. SO we figured we would help get out. His Range Rover sucked up some water and quit when he went in and it wouldn't start back up. He had a "brand new winch" he wanted to try out anyway.... So without us stopping him, he decided to pull himself thru the hole instead of us tugging him back out.

In the process of him pulling himself thru, the passenger side got deeper and water got in the truck....the bad apart about that is the ECU is located under the passenger seat and it got wet, which in turn made it go crazy. The wipers were going, the squirter going, engine rolling over non stop, horn blazing, the gas door popped open, lights going....I LOL'ED, felt bad for the guy but he went in the hole. Here is a crappy video I took

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/50stanger/whhelin%208-15-09/?action=view&current=DSCF4068.flv

So finally he gets out of the hole, disconnects the battery to make it go quiet. Bad part now is his truck wont run and he is on the other side of the hole.

SO now we have to get him out, so I hook onto him and start the task of pulling him around the hole which sucks for me too cus it is kind of tight and I am pulling him and my truck is sliding toward the hole.

Kind of a shot of the economy, us middle class fellas always pulling the upper classers out of a bind...LOL. His 60K rig had more money in accesories than I have into my whole truck! Darn city slickers, but he was out using it so i can't knock him too hard.

got my shoes dirty....

Se we got him out, towed him to the trail head and said see you later....there went 2 hours of wheeling, but I hope people would help me if I was in the same situation.

So back out on the trail

oh, water!

Alright, lets get going....

Alright, one more mud hole....looks like a good idea

Hey, I got and idea.....lets go nose to nose and see if we can push each other out! Great idea....

uh oh....didn't see that one coming

Both of us, stuck. We were pushing in 2 wheel figured we could put em in 4 and back out, ummm no. Both up us ended up being down to our pigs stuck bad. Sent our buddy back to go get his truck to pull us out! LOL, our dumb asses! So I get pulled out first after waiting a good hour, took a few good tugs and out I popped. So I drove around and hooked on to my cousins truck. Ended up going around the rear bumper that we started fabbing. One ass we were with said "I bet you a pop that you pull the bumper off" We said no way. Come to find out my cousin Only had one bolt on one side......ripped that bitch off!! The one bolt shear right off. In the process, we tore up the side of his truck box. Here is the after math

Guess he wanted to tube the back anyway and get rid of the box. I just helped him get started:headbang:

So that was my trip, it was fun and we all drove home...good trip

Here is a link to all the pictures if you wanna see more
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/50stanger/whhelin 8-15-09/?start=0

Last edited:

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dam looks like yall had some fun good pics that guy was dum fer taking that expensive car thru there lol

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
i miss michigan...and people betting "pops". everything is soda down here i hate it.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
that looks like fun

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
looks like a good time'

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes it is best to just pull out. now look what happend. he has a kid and lawn ornament.

p38rangie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Land Rover
Transmission
Automatic
Hey y'all. It's the dumb Range Rover guy here. Wow... looks like you had a bit of a rough end to your day, too! Thanks again for helping us out... Rest assured, I'll return the favor on the trail someday.

First, the truck is far from a lost cause. We dried out the BCM and Mass Air sensor, and she actually fired up with most systems working just fine, but then started throwing error codes. So, probably need a new BCM and maybe a couple other do-dads and we'll be good to go. It's in the garage with a dehumidifier running now. LOL.

YES... we totally should have just had you pull us back out. Might have saved the BCM, and definitely would have been quicker. That was stupid decision #2, followed by #1, going into the hole in the first place, of course. But hey, you never know until you try. For future reference, if you know you have a better recovery idea, feel free to tell the guy BEFORE he starts adding insult to injury. ;-)

By the way, boys... look up the value of a 2002 Range Rover with 150k miles on it. You might be surprised. Great trucks, but they don't hold their value for crap. I've had the truck for 6 years, and it's no longer my daily driver... 100% toy. So, the heck with it... we'll fix her up and be back out in a couple weeks.

And this "city slicker" may have a couple bucks to work with (it's all relative boys), but I live in a little country town where we're wheeling, shooting, and having brews by the fire every weekend. ;-)

Rock on,

J

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The wipers were going, the squirter going, engine rolling over non stop, horn blazing, the gas door popped open, lights going....
hahahahahahahahaah that sucks, but at least he got her out

best of luck getting her going again, have fun

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey y'all. It's the dumb Range Rover guy here. Wow... looks like you had a bit of a rough end to your day, too! Thanks again for helping us out... Rest assured, I'll return the favor on the trail someday.

First, the truck is far from a lost cause. We dried out the BCM and Mass Air sensor, and she actually fired up with most systems working just fine, but then started throwing error codes. So, probably need a new BCM and maybe a couple other do-dads and we'll be good to go. It's in the garage with a dehumidifier running now. LOL.

YES... we totally should have just had you pull us back out. Might have saved the BCM, and definitely would have been quicker. That was stupid decision #2, followed by #1, going into the hole in the first place, of course. But hey, you never know until you try. For future reference, if you know you have a better recovery idea, feel free to tell the guy BEFORE he starts adding insult to injury. ;-)

By the way, boys... look up the value of a 2002 Range Rover with 150k miles on it. You might be surprised. Great trucks, but they don't hold their value for crap. I've had the truck for 6 years, and it's no longer my daily driver... 100% toy. So, the heck with it... we'll fix her up and be back out in a couple weeks.

And this "city slicker" may have a couple bucks to work with (it's all relative boys), but I live in a little country town where we're wheeling, shooting, and having brews by the fire every weekend. ;-)

Rock on,

J
Glad to hear you got it home. We went back to get the other truck to pull us out and you guys were gone, figured you got it running.

Suprised you found this thread! I wasn't knocking you, so no need to try and defefend yourself. I was glad to help out and happy to see othwers using the trails. Maybe we will meet up somtime.

Good luck!

p38rangie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Land Rover
Transmission
Automatic
Glad to hear you got it home. We went back to get the other truck to pull us out and you guys were gone, figured you got it running.

Suprised you found this thread! I wasn't knocking you, so no need to try and defefend yourself. I was glad to help out and happy to see othwers using the trails. Maybe we will meet up somtime.
LOL! It's all good, and I know all comments are meant in good fun. Same goes, here. I just know that domestic guys love to give us Rover guys a hard time; figured I'd step up a bit and get ahead of it. :icon_cheers:

Let's keep in touch; maybe we'll catch you guys on the trail next time. We're looking to head back up sometime in October. U can email me direct through the forum and I'll get u my contact info.

I'm actually kinda pissed still that she quit running when she hit the water. It shouldn't have happened. I've seen Rovers take on more water than we were in and keep going. The stopping is what kills you... But, we'd probably have gotten hung up on the exit anyway.

I'll be working out a solution for that before trying any more big water; maybe just put a snorkel on it and call it a day.... and I'll be figuring out a way to relocate or waterproof the BCM!

Rock,

J

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'll be working out a solution for that before trying any more big water; maybe just put a snorkel on it and call it a day.... and I'll be figuring out a way to relocate or waterproof the BCM!
J
Sounds like the right solution :icon_thumby:

I gotta admit I like to see rovers getting used

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Once again, you guys are playing in my neck of the woods and don't even PM me about it. I couldn't have gone anyway.
Just remember, If you want to see some new trails I know some good ones.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about contacting you, should have, this one was planned out for a few weeks. How about this, when do you wanna go out and wheel? Pick a weekend and we can meet up and go and beat on the RBV's. It is only about a 40 min drive for me. I would like to find some more technical trails to go wheel on.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Those are some good pictures. I really think it's cool as well to see the comraderie on the trails. Finding a stranger in trouble and stopping to help them out is truly a great thing. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals