• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

opinions on best tranmission for off road , stick or auto?

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well like the title says what do people prefer as far transmissions off road. I have always personally liked manuals for all my driving but would a built up auto be better off road. An auto would give you one less thing to think about (clutching and shifting and such) but i would think manuals would be stronger. Also the clutch gives you a way to contol the power a little better, but if i went with like a c-6 i could modify it to a manual shift only and maybe have a little smoother power to the ground. Im just thinking out load so you guys that have experience way in and let me know what you think.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like automatics, don't have to slip the clutch to go slow and take off up a hill... everything just seems to work smoother.

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have to say, i'm more of a manual trans fan, nomatter what the use is.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ive always like autos for off road. Just easier to not have to worry about the clutch and everything

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
not to mention that the torque converter converts torque and gives you an equivalent of a shorter crawl ratio when operating the engine below full torque converter engagement. on the other hand autos heat up quick.

but i have a 4 speed manual with granny-low in mine. i have had both. i would prefer an auto if not for granny low, nice to have that extra foot to swing over and put the e-brake on at those times when you need it on a steep hill climb

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It really depends on what type of wheeling you do. Mud, snow, stuff like that, it doesn't really matter unless you're doing mud drags where an auto is really the only choice. In light rocks either will work fine, you just need much lower gears with the manual to avoid killing the engine. If I was doing moderate to extreme rock crawling I'd hands down go with an auto or at least the lowest gears I could get with a doubler, Atlas or something similar.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I'd prefer the manual transmission do to its reliabitly. But an automatic has its advantages too. With a manual, use lower gears when needed. This way, you don't overheat the clutch by feathering the pedal. I find with mine, if I can trail slowly in one gear, fully engaged, thats the gear to stay in. Now on an automatic, you don't have to worry about the clutch. But you do have to worry about the tranny fluid overheating. So for an automatic, I would install a big tranny oil cooler with a fan for further cooling when needed. Also an external changable oil filter wouldn't be a bad thing to intall for the tranny. Best thing about an automatic, you can vary your speed as you need to. Plus the benfit of constant forward pressure when trying to bump over an obostecle.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Manual is the only way to go

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i prefer manual for on road, and any type of trails or regular off roading. just feel like im in control more.
now if youre looking to throw mud, auto gets the tires spinning fast. by the time you shift in a manual in mud, your tires have almost stopped.

just my opinion.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mud is one place where an auto would have a clear advantage. In thick mud no matter how fast you try to shift, you will immediately lose all your momentum the instant that clutch pedal goes in. The auto's shifting avoids this.

Rocks or just about anyplace else I think it's a wash if you're geared sufficiently low to where you can idle up stuff without having to keep your foot on the throttle (in which case it boils down to preference, which I prefer a manual)

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mud is one place where an auto would have a clear advantage. In thick mud no matter how fast you try to shift, you will immediately lose all your momentum the instant that clutch pedal goes in. The auto's shifting avoids this.

Rocks or just about anyplace else I think it's a wash if you're geared sufficiently low to where you can idle up stuff without having to keep your foot on the throttle (in which case it boils down to preference, which I prefer a manual)
exactly. covered it alittle better than me though :icon_thumby:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
exactly. covered it alittle better than me though :icon_thumby:
lol
You apparently posted while I was typing. Guess we were thinking alike. :D

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Have to add to my previous post - it's good to keep in mind that a manual will shock load drivetrain components MUCH more than an auto will. Also the best thing you can do if you wheel something with a manual is to set up a hand throttle. I have been wheeling my truck on moderate trails with a manual for a while and it works pretty well. That said, if I decide I want to do harder stuff I WILL swap in a C6 just because I feel you have a lot more control over the vehicle with an auto.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals