• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I found this thread while searching for info, which is why I joined here.. NICE truck!! Have you had any problems over heating with the ac on in your truck? I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, but any pointers on the wiring?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I found this thread while searching for info, which is why I joined here.. NICE truck!! Have you had any problems over heating with the ac on in your truck? I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, but any pointers on the wiring?
Thank you! No problems over heating here in Florida. It idles with the ac running in the drive through at McDonald's for as long as needed. The temp may climb to 210 but that is as high as it goes. Provided your combination is pretty much the same as mine the wiring is very straight forward. I covered all of the wiring revisions in the thread. Alternator, starter, oil pressure gauge, maybe one or two other items is all there is to the wiring. The best thing I can tell you is to get the EVTM's for both vehicles so you can double check the advice everyone will give you.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! No problems over heating here in Florida. It idles with the ac running in the drive through at McDonald's for as long as needed. The temp may climb to 210 but that is as high as it goes. Provided your combination is pretty much the same as mine the wiring is very straight forward. I covered all of the wiring revisions in the thread. Alternator, starter, oil pressure gauge, maybe one or two other items is all there is to the wiring. The best thing I can tell you is to get the EVTM's for both vehicles so you can double check the advice everyone will give you.
Good to hear about the cooling. I've done so many v8 s10s but they seem to want to overheat with ac.. So I figured I would try a fuel injected 331 5 speed ranger with ac ?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Good to hear about the cooling. I've done so many v8 s10s but they seem to want to overheat with ac.. So I figured I would try a fuel injected 331 5 speed ranger with ac ?
If my truck was not built with the intention of using it for work I would have gone with a 331 as well. Great choice on your end. I think you will be very happy with the end result. I can't recommend the stock front accessory set up enough, including the fan, shroud, and radiator. It was a very good design and has worked well for me for 49,000 miles.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If my truck was not built with the intention of using it for work I would have gone with a 331 as well. Great choice on your end. I think you will be very happy with the end result. I can't recommend the stock front accessory set up enough, including the fan, shroud, and radiator. It was a very good design and has worked well for me for 49,000 miles.
Have to love that! 49K? That's what it's all about right there!! I've been reading through here, man that is one good looking truck!! I can relate, done one s10 frame off. It's sooo time consuming! I wont be getting deep into it like you have done, but just about the same setup just a little more bottom end than stock.:icon_thumby:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be possible for you to snap a pic or two or three under the hood? Mainly looking for radiator and shroud and fan clearances. . OH. one other thing.. Do you have the blue printsbto those motor mounts?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Would it be possible for you to snap a pic or two or three under the hood? Mainly looking for radiator and shroud and fan clearances. . OH. one other thing.. Do you have the blue printsbto those motor mounts?
I can snap a few photos just let me know exactly what you need, example, passenger side top looking down at fan etc. I used the stock motor mounts but did have a set of engine plates made. I have the blue prints, just send me an e-mail address and give me a day or two to get them sent. There are six or eight photos in this thread of the fan clearance in particular. But if you don't see what you need just let me know.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can snap a few photos just let me know exactly what you need, example, passenger side top looking down at fan etc. I used the stock motor mounts but did have a set of engine plates made. I have the blue prints, just send me an e-mail address and give me a day or two to get them sent. There are six or eight photos in this thread of the fan clearance in particular. But if you don't see what you need just let me know.
I'll look again, I only seen a couple that was mock up. But just a couple of the shroud and fan from either side, the acc's and shroud.. just trying to get a visual on what little space there is

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I'll look again, I only seen a couple that was mock up. But just a couple of the shroud and fan from either side, the acc's and shroud.. just trying to get a visual on what little space there is
Ok, I will snap a bunch of the sides with fan, shroud, acc, etc. I will also send those blueprints for the engine plates. I got your pm so I should be good as long as you included your e-mail address. I will be on the road until Sunday so I won't get a chance to pull them off my other computer until then.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I will snap a bunch of the sides with fan, shroud, acc, etc. I will also send those blueprints for the engine plates. I got your pm so I should be good as long as you included your e-mail address. I will be on the road until Sunday so I won't get a chance to pull them off my other computer until then.
Thanks!

onlyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Question did you have to do any trimming for the tail lights to fit the stepside corners, and did you convert to the 2 bulb setup, or cut out an extra hole in the tail light? I'm thinking of putting the newer tails on my 98 stepside.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Question did you have to do any trimming for the tail lights to fit the stepside corners, and did you convert to the 2 bulb setup, or cut out an extra hole in the tail light? I'm thinking of putting the newer tails on my 98 stepside.
I don't think I had to do any trimming. If I did it was very minor as I don't remember doing it. I did not convert to the two bulb system yet but probably will at some point in the future. I tried using the empty pocket but that section was not designed to be used and did not light well in the day time. I ended up using the reverse light pocket for turn signals with an amber bulb. I am not sure if I am going to leave it like this and wiring the reverse lights into the amber bulbs as well or set it up correctly like the 2011 models. I have not really missed the back up lights as my back up camera has a low lux lense and works with just park lights as a light source.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just read the entire thread, page for page. Where is the magazine spread sheet for your truck!!? BEAUTIFUL truck!!
Couple questions if you don't mind..

(1) On the ac problem you had, what ended being the problem ? It wouldn't power up is what it said in this thread.

(2) Any idea why the clutch hydraulics keep going out?

(3) And one more, whats the temp driving down the road in south florida with the ac chillin?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I just read the entire thread, page for page. Where is the magazine spread sheet for your truck!!? BEAUTIFUL truck!!
Couple questions if you don't mind..

(1) On the ac problem you had, what ended being the problem ? It wouldn't power up is what it said in this thread.

(2) Any idea why the clutch hydraulics keep going out?

(3) And one more, whats the temp driving down the road in south florida with the ac chillin?

Thanks again for the comments. It is really nice hearing from others with the same interest in V8 Rangers.

1. The AC issues turned out to be nothing more then a bad wire splice on my part. Win, from this forum, offered to come over and trouble shoot my problem and discovered the issue in a short time. All of the connections were correct but one was failing at the splice.

2. I think the problem with the clutch slave cylinder is two part. First these damn pieces are all made in China by the supplier who can offer the cheapest price. We all know what that means. Inferior quality and dependability!!! Second, I admit I removed the protective rubber boot on the slave cylinder that faces forward to oncoming debris and dust. This could have contributed to a short life span. I now have a slightly cut back version of the rubber boot to help with debris control getting into the cylinder and scoring the seal and bore. The clutch master cylinder is just cheap inferior quality period!!! Both were replaced under warranty at no charge. If either of these fail again they will be replaced with a higher quality piece either from Ford or maybe NAPA.

3. The truck runs all day long at 200 while moving at any speed, 202-204 while pulling a loaded trailer at 70-75 mph. Sitting at a light it may run up to 205 (that is pretty rare) and sitting in a drive thru for an extended period it may go to 210. It takes awhile to get to 210 and you need to be tucked in tight behind the car in front of you. The cooling system is all stock Ford Explorer with a 195 thermostat and OEM pulleys. All temps are measured with the ac running in July/August Florida heat. I could not be happier with the cooling system. I have a new 180 thermostat but decided not to change the 195 out until I replace the water pump at some point down the road.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals