• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
i have a 99 ranger splash xlt standard cab 2wd. Prepping and prepping and buying parts for my 302 conversion. Was curious on what front springs were used? Your project to date outstanding.:icon_hornsup:
Thank you for the kind words. I have always really liked the 1999 Bright Atlantic Blue, Regular cab, 2wd Rangers like yours. At the moment I am still running my Black 98 as a daily driver with the 2.5 Lima engine.

I cut the stock front springs to get the current height. When looking at the top of each spring and setting the end of the top link in the twelve o’clock position I cut that link at the eight o’clock position. It sits level with a standard flip kit in the rear. I imagine it will be to low once the additional weight of the V8 is included. From my past experience the V8 drops the front about an inch or so. At that time I will decide if I want to source another set of stock springs and start from scratch or go to an aftermarket set up.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
In between a busy work schedule this week I had a little time to media blast the oil pan and valve covers. With a little luck I will get a coat or two of primer and some color on them before the end of the week. I am still waiting for a break in the work schedule to get the block in for machining. I am just having trouble setting time aside during business hours to drop it off. My son will not be back from basic training until mid December or mid January. That is when we are planning to assemble the motor so I guess there is no real hurry on the machine work.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get forged replacement pistons, or hypo's? Looking good so far. Got my V8 swap done in my Trac, you will definitely love it. If you want to go for better mpg (or you plan to do a lot of highway driving or DD) I suggest you go with 308 or even 273 gears. You will have plenty of torque even without the upgrades...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Did you get forged replacement pistons, or hypo's? Looking good so far. Got my V8 swap done in my Trac, you will definitely love it. If you want to go for better mpg (or you plan to do a lot of highway driving or DD) I suggest you go with 308 or even 273 gears. You will have plenty of torque even without the upgrades...

SVT
Thank you for the advice. I went with the hypo pistons on this build, cost and reliability were the main reasons. I think they will work well for the intended purpose of the engine. This will end up being a high mileage courier vehicle. Running between 60,000 and 70,000 miles per year. I am hoping to get around 23 MPG which is where my 93 5.0 Splash came in at.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Go with the 273's, the lower rpm's will help both extend fuel mileage and motor life...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Go with the 273's, the lower rpm's will help both extend fuel mileage and motor life...

SVT
I have a set of 3:55's left over from my 03 Cobra. I am going to start with that ratio and see where my MPG comes in at. My 93 Splash had the same set up with a close to stock 5.0 and felt nice. If needed I will drop down to the 2:73's. Thanks again for the advice.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I got the two coats of primer on the oil pan and valve covers a week or so ago. Now a quick scratch with 400 grit wet and they will be ready for another trip through the parts washer before the color goes on and the pieces get bagged and tagged while waiting for installation.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I picked up the 8.8 rear from the media blaster. It sure looked nice clean down to the bone. The bare metal is 100% free from dirt and rust.

I put two light coats of primer/sealer on it before getting it ready for color.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
After a quick dry scratch with 320 grit the black base color went on. Now the housing will be shelved until it is ready to go out and have the axle tubes trued and welded. Once that has been completed it will be rebuilt and then touched up with a final coat of paint before being installed.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I almost forgot, the engine plates showed up from stradashop. Great bargin by the way! I test fit them and decided to take a little off the sides so they will be going out for a trim before paint.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
You are like a ninja mechanic. Such beautiful work. Much props!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna find you will need to lift the drivers side to level the motor, not the passenger side.

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Your gonna find you will need to lift the drivers side to level the motor, not the passenger side.

SVT
Not sure what you mean? Are you saying I have the plates listed incorrectly? It looks like it lowers the passenger side.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, then I'm mistaken. It looks like the passenger side actually lifts. I may just have been looking at it wrong. If you haven't, check fitment of the driver side against the block. There is a plug located between the block bosses for the mount. A standard flat plate will make contact, and notching is required...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Okay, then I'm mistaken. It looks like the passenger side actually lifts. I may just have been looking at it wrong. If you haven't, check fitment of the driver side against the block. There is a plug located between the block bosses for the mount. A standard flat plate will make contact, and notching is required...

SVT
No problem. I am kind of learning as I go. I am not far enough along to know for sure which side needs to be raised or lowered and by how much. My only answers have been coming from photos I have collected (see below) or from the experience of others who have completed their trucks with similar set ups. Thank you for the hint on the driver side mount. You are correct; I did need to outline a small section in the center of the edge that will have to be removed.

File photo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals