• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OK, I'm an idiot...

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, I decided to take the kid town to San Diego for the long weekend. That's right around 500 miles. I drive old vehicles, so every road trip is preceded by an inspection. I checked out all the belts and hoses, gave it an oil change, inspected and regapped spark plugs, and checked the front end and tire pressure. Everything looks good.

What's missing from this list? You guessed it -- brakes. So, right in downtown San Diego, 500 miles from home, I start getting a nice grumbling sound on braking, from the front left. I swear a bit (oops -- not a good thing in front of a strongly verbal 2 year old), and remove the front wheels for a brake inspection. All four pads are nice-and-evenly worn down to paper thin. The inner driver's side pad is completely gone, and I can feel roughness in the rotor surface.

So, it's really obvious what the problem is. It's a Sunday, so no shop can do it that day, so I drive home the next morning (on the highway, at least), plan a route that minimizes stopping, and perform an emergency brake job in the driveway. Except the shop gives me Dana 28 rotors, and the don't fit. Swear some more (this time, NOT in front of the 2 year old), then take the 45 minute round trip back to the shop for correct rotors, and perform the brake job in the DARK. Now, it stops firmly, quietly, and straight.

The lesson is, don't skip steps on the inspection!

Scheisse.

Last edited:

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bummer! I hate when I'm that far away from home and things go wrong like that. I've been in situations similar more times then I'd like that's for sure. At least you made it back without too much damage.

Did you need a new rotor?

Allen

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you need a new rotor?
I thought for sure I would, so I replaced both anyway. They aren't very expensive ($30 apiece, about twice what resurfacing costs), and I was in a big hurry; I needed the truck today.

It turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, but I still think it would have needed a fair amount of grinding to get all the "texture" out. And it was all on one side, so while it might still stay within thickness specs (though I kinda doubt that), I'd expect some thermal issues.

I just didn't want to mess with it.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, cheap insurance for sure.

At least rotors are cheap for 90's RBV's as far as I know. I think for my 95 they're like 25-30 bucks also. Some parts however are still an arm and a leg. That probalby has something to do with Ford still using the same parts on newer Rangers though, especially body mouldings and what not because a 93 and a 2000 still have the same part# on certain items.

Allen

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did a psudo brake job on a Ford F 250 club cab for a friend about 30 miles off the road in the mountains of Mexico. At least he had pads and a c-clamp!

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know what to think when I saw a thread called "Im an Idiot" and MAKG's name under it. lol:)

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, we all make stupid mistakes once in a while.

This one qualifies. I know better than to skip brake inspections.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow!!!! MAKG is human!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Wow; there IS hope for the rest of us.

Don't feel bad, MAKG; nobody's perfect. And, the sure-fire way to make something go bad is to forget to check it.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You just need to assume that the auto parts place will give you the wrong part. When I was getting discs set up in the Explorer a few weeks ago, I went in and ordered two new calipers for the rear. Drove 30 mins to the garage, opened the boxes, and there were a set of fronts...

Although you might have to be pretty keen to tell a difference between a D28 and D35 rotor without a reference part.

Twitch57

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Ouch man, guess everyone makes mistakes. I tried doing brakes once in my work parking lot..it was 90+ degrees and I couldn't get my wheel off, damn aluminum wheels, was stuck on the hub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals