• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ok electronic engineers, heres a ?? for you

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i need to charge a much smaller battery on board my truck that is 12vdc but can only take .5 to .75 amps or so.

what diode, or resistor or whatever else do i need to install on the wires that are charging the battery? i need to keep the 12v of the existing charging system, i just need to add a leg to the charging system that has .5 to .75 amps or so

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What is this battery for, exactly?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
If you hook a 24 ohm resistor across the 12v battery, .5 amp of current would flow. So if you put that 24 ohm resistor in series with the small battery you are going to charge, the current would be limited to .5 amp max (if the small battery were a complete short). if the small battery were sitting at say, 10 v then the current would be limited to (12v - 10v) / 24 ohm = .083 amp
so i guess a generic formula would be:
12v - <small battery voltage>v / .5 amp = value of limit resistor

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
so....a 24ohm resistor connecting + to - of the leg attatched to the battery? would i need to put a diode to prevent some kind of back-flow issues?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
a diode would be a good safety addon yes

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
does the diode go in line with +? or across + to - ? when i walk into radio shack what do i ask for?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......go to radio shack.....look for a phone car charger that puts out the charging volts/amps that your battery requires:icon_bounceblue:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
inline with + diodes usually have a one way only flow. and the negative terminal is marked by a paint line. that way u know ur connecting it for voltage to flow to the battery, but it wont flow back from the battry to your trucks system. draining your battery or causing a back flow short circuit.
a 1 amp diode would be enough. probably 1/2 or 1 watt.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......go to radio shack.....look for a phone car charger that puts out the charging volts/amps that your battery requires:icon_bounceblue:
12v is much tougher than you'd think, almost no portable device operates on that voltage

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you hook a 24 ohm resistor across the 12v battery, .5 amp of current would flow.
If you run a 24 ohm resistor across a 12v battery .5 VOLT will flow. The amount of amperage that can get through will be higher because car batteries and alternators are rated in hundreds of amps.

Ohms Law: It takes 1 volt to push 1 amp through 1 ohm of resistance.

Resistors don't drop amps, and neither do diodes. A diode is an electrical check valve. It will keep voltage from traveling in one direction on the line it's installed on.

In many cases a load will only draw the amount of amperage that it wants. If you can find a .5 or .75 amp fuse, install it inline with the battery. That way the circuit can't handle more than the battery.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
If you run a 24 ohm resistor across a 12v battery .5 VOLT will flow. The amount of amperage that can get through will be higher because car batteries and alternators are rated in hundreds of amps.

Ohms Law: It takes 1 volt to push 1 amp through 1 ohm of resistance.

Resistors don't drop amps, and neither do diodes. A diode is an electrical check valve. It will keep voltage from traveling in one direction on the line it's installed on.

In many cases a load will only draw the amount of amperage that it wants. If you can find a .5 or .75 amp fuse, install it inline with the battery. That way the circuit can't handle more than the battery.
forget what I said....I like his answer better....bring down the volts--then fuse it...(I think:icon_bounceblue:)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
forget what I said....I like his answer better....bring down the volts--then fuse it...(I think:icon_bounceblue:)
Actually, I'm saying fuse it and see if the battery will only draw what it wants. Don't put in anything to drop the voltage at first.

The key issue here is voltage. Voltage is a form of pressure. If you have a 3 gallon air tank with 70 PSI and you have another 3 gallon tank that is empty, and you hook them together, air will stop flowing when they both get to 35 PSI.

Similarly, trying to charge a 12V battery with a .5 volt line, while not impossible, is in feasible. This is going to work best if the full 14 volts of the alternator can be delivered.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wait a sec, Surrey's question is extremely relevant. Depending upon the type of battery you are trying to charge, there is a huge difference. If it's a lead acid and you pump too much current into it, you can boil off the electrolyte and fry it. If it's a nicad, you can make it go "BOOM", if it's lithium-ion you can make it turn into a fire. The issue isn't so much the voltage but the current. You have to limit the current going into the battery for the specific type of battery.

If you want a good answer, you must tell us the type of battery, it's size (mAH), how fast you want it to charge etc. There are a lot of variables in properly designing battery charging circuits.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
NO. DO NOT PLUG IT DIRECTLY INTO YOUR CAR FUSED OR UNFUSED.

DC to DC charging is more complicated than that. You can set up a little fused harness and have it work great for a year or so, and one day you're going to plug your little 12v battery in - and have it blow up in your face. Now, while I might find this hilarious - especially if it happens to a guy who stuck a Chevy frame under his Bronco, I don't wish that on anyone.

The reason it may work has already been stated by adsm08. What he left out is what will happen if the voltage is too low on your smaller 12 battery. The amperage might spike, the battery will get real hot real fast, too much gas will form too quickly - BOOM.

Here is a link to build your own - http://ludens.cl/Electron/12Vcharger/12Vcharger.html

Here is a link to buy one - http://www.powerstream.com/DCC.htm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals