• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil questions: high mileage oil, how often to change?

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '03 4.0L SOHC with 160k miles. Last oil change I decided to try the high mileage oil (Valvoline). Is there any reason I can't go back to a normal oil? I read online somewhere that once you start using a high mileage oil you're stuck using it forever.

I wasn't having any specific problems that led to that choice. Just the high miles.

Also, maybe it's just a good idea to use the high mileage oil? I want as many miles as possible out of this truck.

As for how often, I drive very little (about 2.5k miles/year). So using mileage doesn't work very well. I try to do it every 6 months. Often enough?

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
For starters, you can switch between any oils at any time. Theres no reason why you have to stay with just one.

As for high mileage oils. Most of them are now semi-synthetic and contain more anti-wear & degretents to help keep the engine clean.

You can stick the regular oil and change it out every 6 months. The most important thing to do for an engine is changing oil. So as long you keep up on that, the engine should keep running good well into the 200K + miles.

FYI: I use a full-synthetic on my 2.3L since 80K miles. Engine is just about to turn 120k miles and still runs smooth and clean. And I change the oil every 5k miles or once a year. I drive about 5k miles a year.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You only need high mileage oil if you have the famous "high mileage oil leaks"

If your engine is not leaking or smoking, use regular oil.

I use fully synthetic also, it is superior in cold weather, also with extended oil changes I am creating less waste for the enviroment.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't personally believe in high mileage oils. I have always taken oil samples at my oil change intervals and the high mileage oil was not very different at all from the regular oil, a bit more boron, calcium, and molybednum was all.

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks all.

so if i go with full synthetic, can i safely go 1 yr between changes even considering my low mileage of 3k/yr?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals