• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pressure low

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i've noticed that my oil pressure gauge is abnormally low and the gauge will drop all the way to the lowst when revving the engine or when its under load. I know this isn't good, but am not too sure what could be causing it. It only happened recently too. I don't have to drive it, so im going to let it sit until i can figure out the problem and fix it. I checked the oil level and its normal, and i changed the oil about 2000 miles ago, so it should still be fresh too. I looked around online a bit and it pointed to possibly a clogged oil filer or a bad oil pump, but what else could be causing this?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If your oil is normal (as in not low or missing) then it could be the oil pump if you're sure there is no oil going to the valves...only one way to check this and that's to take the valve cover off and run the engine for a few minutes...but try to cover the rest of it in case it is working...and shut it off once you see the oil coming up like bubbling crude...

Other than that...it may just be the oil gauge needs to be changed or even just make sure the wire is connected solidly...they're just a bolt and nut affair that can get loose and give wonky readings...

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright, ill check the wiring first.

If there was a problem with the oil flow, would there be any signs of it? like the engine running hot? valved or rockers making noise? because i made a 4 hour road trip (kind of had to, and had no time to fix it, or else I would have missed classes) with this problem and there was no change in performance or any new noises. No engine lights going off, overheating, or anything.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it's either a bad sensor or the pickup screen for the oil pump being plugged with crud, when I pulled the engine out of my '90 the first time the screen was nearly plugged.

the stock gage is a fancy looking dummy light, anything above like 5psi and it reads normal.

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it's either a bad sensor or the pickup screen for the oil pump being plugged with crud, when I pulled the engine out of my '90 the first time the screen was nearly plugged.

the stock gage is a fancy looking dummy light, anything above like 5psi and it reads normal.
Does cleaning the oil screen require me to pull the engine? I doubt ill be able to do that (no money, few tools, college wont let us work on cars on campus).

This weekend I'll get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sender. Something that actually reads pressure. Hopefully its just a bad sender or something like that and I have good pressure.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do the last thing you said mine was doing what yours was doing so I put in an aftermarket gauge and my engine is sitting at 50 psi @ idle.
if the oil pressure is to low there is usually bad noises that happen

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do the last thing you said mine was doing what yours was doing so I put in an aftermarket gauge and my engine is sitting at 50 psi @ idle.
if the oil pressure is to low there is usually bad noises that happen
thats good to know. because i made a 4 hour drive on it and it ran fine, no strange noises.

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually going to a junkyard this weekend, I can probably pick up a oil pressure reader from there. I'm sure it's a pretty generic item, which cars can i expect to find it on, if anyone knows?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 2.3 in Mustangs or Rangers from around the same year should all work...did you try cleaning the contact and maybe putting a nut on the wire to hold it in place or check for wobly nuts?

FlyingFatass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well it turns out that i might actually be a bad oil pump. Im starting to develop a ticking noise coming from what seems like the valves/lifters. I'm pour some of the oil right into the valve cover and run it for a little to see if the noise stops.

If it is the pump (or the screen) id have to drop the oil pan. I'd have to pull the engine to do that (or is there a way to drop the oil pan without pulling the engine?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals