• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pan part # needed

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Getting ready to do a dry fit of my 5.0 into my '89 standard cab 4x4. Did some measurements before proceeding and appears I will have interference between oil pan and axle pivot bracket. Pulled the motor from a 2000 2WD Ranger where it fit perfect. Was planning to use the Ricks Ranger motor mounts with the stock 2.9 mounts. Im thinking I will need a new oil pan. Looking for some part #'s/applications so I can begin looking for correct pan.
Can anyone ID the pan below?

IMG_1145.jpg

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
If memory serves me right 5.0 fox body dual sump pan thats whats on my 2wd 88 dont know if 4x4 is different. dont have a part number but im sure rock auto will have one

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think I should re-phrase my question: I have a stock '96 explorer rear sump oil pan on the 5.0 I plan to install in my '89 STX 4x4. The pan measures approximately 9.5" from rear edge of pan to leading edge of sump (see pic). The leading edge of the pan will limit how far forward I can locate my motor in the engine bay since it interferes with the axle beam pivot bracket. Can anyone recommend another pan which would give me more clearance (ie: less than 9.5")? What is this measurement on some dual sump pans? Unfortunately we don't have junkyards out here so I cannot browse for another pan. Just seeing what options are out there before relocating trans x-member and motor mounts...

Oil pan.jpg

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I appreciate the reply Ruby. Understood its either the rear sump or dual sump. My pan is a stock rear sump from a 97 explorer.

I'm actually looking for something a little more specific: Are there any oil pans out there (rear or dual sump) which will allow me to use the stock transmission x-member location with a 302+M5R2 installed in a 2nd Gen 4x4? Or will I be forced to relocate the x-member? Was hoping to hear from someone who has done this installation. If they were able to get the factory location to work, maybe they can throw a tape up on their pan and provide me a p/n? Due to my limited amount of tinker-time available and lack of junkyards to browse I'm trying to figure this out before I do the dry run.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now I understand the question. My understanding is that the trans crossmember must be relocated when you put a V8 in the Ranger, but I have not yet done it myself so I am not 100% certain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals