• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter relocation

psycotic stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
That looks like one of the two Explorer styles. I'm guessing it hits the steering box?

For a 2wd non-Edge Ranger you want a remote filter, one with a 90deg fittling on the engine, then soft lines to the filter.

(for those unfamiliar, on that piece, the lower rad hose attatches, then on to the rad)

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately that kit from summit has the wrong piece for the engine side... it will put the lines right in to the steering box.

you need one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-22-800/?rtype=10

okay, you dont need a $300 kit with AN lines and billet stuff, but it illustrates the idea. the lines need to come out at a 90 degree angle to the oil filter nipple on the engine.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately that kit from summit has the wrong piece for the engine side... it will put the lines right in to the steering box.

you need one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-22-800/?rtype=10

okay, you dont need a $300 kit with AN lines and billet stuff, but it illustrates the idea. the lines need to come out at a 90 degree angle to the oil filter nipple on the engine.
No, but the AN fittings will never leak. Unlike the hose clamp shit that comes with most kits. But I do agree, there's no need to spend $300 to get AN lines either.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
You can get one from these guys and it's a little cheaper.:icon_thumby: They will also have a lot of other parts you may need. http://www.jamesduff.com/

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 ho
Transmission
Automatic
you can use the one that comes out straight from the block but you have to get 90 degree brass fittings from home depot for the barbed fittings to screw into. i did it that way instead of paying the extra for the kit that comes out 90 degrees

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-23683/?rtype=10

But i paid about $69 for the whole kit.

The reason you're not able to attatch what you have to the block is likely because you're leaving a piece of the Ex adaptor in the block.

emove that big crazy looking vented screw from the Ex adaptor, then ther is still a piece screwed into the block. This need to come out, too.

psycotic stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool thx guys for the help i will get that peice off and see where i stand and maybe get some pics up this weekend. (the first nice day in a while)

Prostreet Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a kit from Perma cool...it leaked big time after about a week. I bought the engine and filter side adapters from Summit and used -10 steel braided hose in between. The nice thing is that you can put the filter any place you want with a custom kit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might check with a hydraulic shop about having lines made. They are steel braided inside the rubber and might be cheaper than the pretty premade ones.

I am going to make hoses with crimp on swivel fittings for my 302 out of this stuff, if they can hold 4000psi, then the less than 100psi that an engine puts out shouldn't be much of a problem. Much better at holding than a barb fitting with a hose clamp... and for this as long as they don't rub on something they should last darn near forever.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You might check with a hydraulic shop about having lines made. They are steel braided inside the rubber and might be cheaper than the pretty premade ones.

I am going to make hoses with crimp on swivel fittings for my 302 out of this stuff, if they can hold 4000psi, then the less than 100psi that an engine puts out shouldn't be much of a problem. Much better at holding than a barb fitting with a hose clamp... and for this as long as they don't rub on something they should last darn near forever.
This is what I did on mine, had the hoses made up at the local parts house. They're not pretty, but they've never leaked. They won't even leak after the rubber outer coating dry rots and peels off.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what I did on mine, had the hoses made up at the local parts house. They're not pretty, but they've never leaked. They won't even leak after the rubber outer coating dry rots and peels off.
I have seen them operating in their native enviroment as a hydraulic hose like that.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea, the rubber outside is really useless after a year or so exposed to the elements.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals