• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter adaptor (need a quick answer, please)

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For the oil filter adaptor is it a o-ring that is used for sealing of a cooper ring?

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I trying to get more answers and do a little research, but I believe that Fel-Pro actually makes two different o-rings for the oil filter adaptor on this engine. The red one will actually work on the 4.0 Liter too. I'm trying to find out if the red one is the better of the two they offer.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the o rings are of completely different sizes, i know when I bought one i ordered both because I had no idea which one it was. One says right on the package that it is for a 4.0 and the other says its for a 2.9. the 4.0 adapter is far superior to the 2.9 adapter in design and is a direct bolt on. you will need to remove the Y pipe to access it.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the o rings are of completely different sizes, i know when I bought one i ordered both because I had no idea which one it was. One says right on the package that it is for a 4.0 and the other says its for a 2.9. the 4.0 adapter is far superior to the 2.9 adapter in design and is a direct bolt on. you will need to remove the Y pipe to access it.
so the red o-ring won't fit on the 2.9 Liter adaptor? You can replace the adaptor without pulling the engine?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
well if the headers you have are any longer than the factory manifolds you may have to remove the header to access the adapter but you definitely do not need to remove the engine to access it. you do need to atleast drop the y pipe to access it. When the 4.0 adapter is installed you can sneak a shortened allen wrench in there to tighten it if you need to. It is almost impossible to do this with the 2.9 adapter because it uses a large hex head. The 4.0 adapter seems to have smoother passages and it seems more well made, it doesn't seem that there would be as much turbulence in it as the 2.9 piece, not sure if it makes a difference or not but it is something I noticed.

Last edited:

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well if the headers you have are any longer than the factory manifolds you may have to remove the header to access the adapter but you definitely do not need to remove the engine to access it. you do need to atleast drop the y pipe to access it. When the 4.0 adapter is installed you can sneak a shortened allen wrench in there to tighten it if you need to. It is almost impossible to do this with the 2.9 adapter because it uses a large hex head. The 4.0 adapter seems to have smoother passages and it seems more well made, it doesn't seem that there would be as much turbulence in it as the 2.9 piece, not sure if it makes a difference or not but it is something I noticed.
Couple thoughts HolyFord...and I will have some pictures here tomorrow so as to make this a little more clearly, but I order a brand new or new old stock of an oil filter adaptor for a 4.0 liter so as to put it on our 2.9 Liter and it looks almost identical to the 2.9 liter adaptor. On the 4.0 liter oil filter adaptor that you used was there a small piece forming an upside down L on top of the adaptor? I believe the main problem with ours is that we didn’t replace the o-ring when we rebuilt the engine, I didn’t even realize it had an o-ring.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
yes, there is an upside down "L" looking thing on the top of the adapter, I can't remember if i modified it or not, compare it to the 2.9 adapter side by side and anything you will need to do will become obvious, I did this swap over a year ago and didn't document it, and the mind is a bit fuzzy on such things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals