• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OHV to SOHC

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I admit these OHV's are good but planning on getting a camper someday nothing too big but of fair size, so I want to go SOHC, I know up to 94 the heater box is in the way for a SOHC, does that apply to the 95 or 96 models? I know they weren't really available til 97, I'm getting info so I'm prepared, I don't want to go 5.0 thought about buyin an ex with a 5.0 but rather stick with the 4.0 so if anyone has knowledge of this let me know. Thanks!

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Or else point me to a thread bout this. or some FAQ page.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not many have swapped the newer SOHC 4.0 in. I wouldn't think that the heater box would get in the way. They switched from the old HVAC system to a newer design in 95 and have been using that still in 2000. So I'd only think that they'd be the same, or close. It wouldn't make sense to me that they'd use a different heater box for a 4.0 ohv vs. a 4.0 ohc in the same year(97'-up ).

jeffrey378

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard nothing but bad things about sohc engines. I think you will be taking a big step backwards!!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The SOHC was bad when it first came out in 1997 because it had issues with the timing chain tensioners, but the newer ones have this problem fixed and are excellent engines. I'd say the engines from 2003-up are the best. I also think you should go ahead and do this swap and post lots of pics! My SOHC Ranger will run circles around my OHV Explorer, which may be in part due to the different axle ratios, (4.10 vs 3.27) but I think the engine still has a large part to do with it. I also plan on this engine easily making it past 200k.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would not swap to a SOHC because you want to upgrade for towing a camper. They are very similar in power and torque down in the range you would be driving at--below 3,000rpm. Where the SOHC motor whips the pushrod motors butt is above 4,000 where the pushrod motor can't breathe anymore.

I towed with my pushrod motor a lot and it will pull quite well. I would get a 5.0 if you aren't happy with it.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
like Will said, I would stick with the OHV if you are wanting to tow with it.....the OHV makes its torque in the lower rpm range where as the SOHC makes it higher in the rpm range.......

do a couple mods to your engine and you will be set (crank pulley, XCalibrator 2 tuner, intake, exhaust)......that will be a lot cheaper than swapping in a SOHC and it will make the OHV better for towing than the SOHC....

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I still been thinking, haven't actually done it yet, I like that it has more HP but wasn't sure if it had that nice low-end torque like the OHV does. Haven't tried to tow much with my 95 only towed with my 92 that the HP was rated at 135 I think and it was ok at towing but seemed like it coulda had more power. I think all 95 ohv's and up were rated at 160 or 165 hp wasn't it?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
91-92 OHV's had 155 hp. 93+ have 160 hp. (at the crank) And even though the OHV's make their peak torque lower, the SOHC still has more torque at any given RPM, except 1500 and below.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So the SOHC wouldn't be too great pulling out at a dead stop with some nice weight behind. From what I read 92-94's the HP was more if it came from an automatic, that they gave the Automatic more power until 95 then they gave all motors the same amount of HP.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if you are pulling, then you want to use an automatic behind either 4.0......the automatics have a higher GVRW rating than the manual transmissions do....

also, HP means nothing......it is torque that matters.....HP can't be measured in an engine properly...it is estimated......torque is the only force that the engine creates, and most people doesn't understand the concept of torque...

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My 92 exploder was a 5spd (which you may have known). Call me dumb but I've never known what the GVRW meant. I was kinda weary of getting an automatic when buying because of the faultiness of the transmission (but I know it also depends on how well you treat the trans too.)

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the automatics have a higher towing capacity than the manuals......GVRW = Gross Vehicle Rated Weight....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals