• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oh Damn....

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
it takes time to figure out how to do it.

I just drove the Cruiser on the ice for the first time. very spooky and unpredictable. although when I put it in 4wd it became very predictable.

the bajaclaws suck a fat one in snow and ice, just like I thought they would. going to get yokogeolanders.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
unpredictable?

Doesnt behave well in 2wd?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
does not behave well at all. its the short axle on the pass. side (LandCruisers have both axles offset to the pass. side). That is the side that breaks loose. 4WD makes it totally predictable.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
hey matt you haven't seen anything yet. there was a 4x4 1 ton wrecker stuck around the corner from you 2 or 3 years ago. it is pretty much the last area to be plowed out there.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you need a hand throttle rigged up.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Last year I had 480lbs of sand in the bed and it was still having problems getting moving at intersections..... just barely hit the gas and the tires break loose. Got Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on all four now.... think that'll help it any?
Get Skinner tires to help cut right down to the Ice on traction underneath(studdless winters, Blizzak ws50's or toyo Observes) and NO A/t OR REGULAR TIRES, well you could get your A/T's Siped that would help a ton, and where is the weight located on the axle? behind the axle? or at the very front of the bed? Put it in the front or on the axle. And DO NOT AIR down winter tires they are specificly designed to give optimal traction at 35 or more psi (Lets the factory siping open up and bite!) even normal tires will do better aired up in experience. Trust me I Ice Race and too much is better than not enough.

Last edited:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
buy chains. use them as needed and they will outlast any winter tires you could ever buy without requiring 6 or 8 tires and rims to hold winter/summer tires. a good pair of chains is around 100-150 bucks and you dont have to worry about eating your snow tires alive on those dry days.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Brian, I could believe it! This area over here is terrible even with just a slight ice-over. The entirey of G-Burg has been plowed, and they completely ignored us, still got plenty of snow all over, not to mention ice in some really really bad places (like.... in every place I need to turn)

Original_Ranger84, I put my weight straight on top of the axle. Never behind. I *could* get my tires siped....glad you mentioned that. We got a siping machine at work. It hasnt been touched in more than a year, but I think it still works. Guess I'll find out. Defintely look into the tires you mentioned.

The only problem I have with using chains, is that I'd only need em to move the 1/8th mile out of the trailer park.... everything past that is manageable. Seems itd be a bit of a hassle to spend time wrapping/unwrapping the chains all the time.

Blackbetty, that hand-throttle sounds like a good idea, haha.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I find having a l/s or locked rear end with weight to be the best solution, even with a crappy set of tires. I also found that after loosing traction in first with as little wheel spin as possible that the next best thing is to grab gears as quick as possible and burn through the ice in an attempt to get through said intersection...

-andrew
Thats what I tried one year. I tried to overtake a smooth icy road covered with snow drift. Made it half way and then no more. To find traction trying to get unstuck, I just lit the tires up. I made it to 4th gear with the speedo at 60mph, but not moving an inch. Soon as I heard the tires make a different pitch noise, I stopped and tried to again. Was able to back out and get enough running speed to clear the stuck snow pack and make it to the top of the hill.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
why is everyone saying no to A/Ts i have the big o big foot A/T and got snow today and there are doing awsome, is there a difference between a regular A/t and snow rate a/t like mine

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mall-terrains are pretty good in the snow. I've used them before for two years.. they did pretty darn good. OMG TSL's suck balls in the snow. Apperantly so do baja claws. But then again it doesn't snow where they have the baja..

Rob

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mall-terrains are pretty good in the snow. I've used them before for two years.. they did pretty darn good. OMG TSL's suck balls in the snow. Apperantly so do baja claws. But then again it doesn't snow where they have the baja..

Rob
They are good in loose snow, but leave a lot to be desired in packed snow and ice thanks to usually lacking siping.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Dont let your tires get warm. If you have a heated garage, keep it cold, or keep the truck out of it. Ice with no water on it isnt too bad, but if your tires melt a tiny layer and put some water on it, things get slippery. Dont let your tires' warmth melt the Ice.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is the A/T I'm currently using:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+RH-S

They discontinued it in 225/70R14 in late April/Early May, though....

Found out today that the siping machine at work does indeed still function....worth it to try and sipe these things?
I would but make sure you have enough tread left on them to be safe cause you could cut to the cords and then just ruined the tires and even if it doesn't workout in the snow/ice it will give you better traction in the summer.

and Alaskan155 the difference between a snow rated a/t and not is that the snow has more factory sipeing for biting the harder packed snow, the regular a/t's have just solid blocks, no sipeing or whatever.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals