• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OEM Calipers

Nicholas D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Quick question, sorry if it's been covered before - didn't find anything using the search function. I just replaced the front brake calipers on my 89 ranger and curious before I bring the originals back to the parts store for my core if they are worth hanging onto for potential rebuild and use later? I know with other older vehicles I have, some OEM parts are so much higher quality than the replacements that it's worth keeping them for rebuild/use later. Just not sure if these would fall into that category or if I just dump them for my $9 core charge? For whatever it's worth, the replacements fit great and seem to be working fine. Thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The parts store will give you rebuilt OEM calipers, just turn the old ones and get your core credit.

Nicholas D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect, thank you.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The parts store will give you rebuilt OEM calipers, just turn the old ones and get your core credit.
Agreed. Brake calipers I don't mind buying re-manned, from good name companies. All of ones I've bought for several years now, have been Ford castings.

Otherwise, I have gotten to where I hate letting go of worn original parts, if I think that the small parts can be had to rebuild them later. Good, original used parts that are still serviceable are getting like gold, to me. There is so much crap replacement parts these days.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If the caliper pistons were in good shape, I’d rebuild them and put them on the shelf for next time. If the pistons were bad I’d turn them in for the core refund.

YMMV.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the caliper pistons were in good shape, I’d rebuild them and put them on the shelf for next time. If the pistons were bad I’d turn them in for the core refund.

YMMV.
At the rate I go thru calipers they would probably be rebuilt again when I needed them...

Nicholas D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up turning them in. Once I realized the replacements were Ford castings and based on replies here I figured they probably aren't as rare or coveted as is the case for other makes I didn't see any reason to keep them. Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals