• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Occasional miss now idle issues.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
95 ranger 4.0. You know the ones with OBDII a year early. Had a miss that would happen once in a while. I noticed it a idle. It would be lower than normal. It would clear up quickly, then run fine. I rescued this truck after setting a few years following some vandalism. Been driving it for a couple months. I figured the plugs needed changed anyway so I put new plugs and wires on but it didn’t help. It’s my first non OBDI so I don’t have a code reader yet. Researching found it to be an issue for the 95 being I or II. Mine does not have non OBDII compliant statement on the emissions tag so I’m hopeful a OBDII reader will work. Mfg date 8/95. CEL is on as I have no cat and right bank has a broken connector on the O2. Today the miss never happened but my idle seems to stick on high. Never at a consistent level and sometimes it will come back down to normal but not always. Pulled the IAC cleaned it and re installed. Then it started whining when I accelerate. Put a new one in and now no whining but idle is still sticking on high. Can’t find any vacuum leaks. Gonna go try to read codes tomorrow. See what happens.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Did a smoke test this morning. Found a vacuum leak at the EGR mount. Hope that’s my idle issue.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Did a smoke test this morning. Found a vacuum leak at the EGR mount. Hope that’s my idle issue.
More then likely it is

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Got the vacuum leak at the EGR valve to mount sealed up but found another leak. The EGR tube going into the plenum. Very slight leak. I imagine the steel tube has an O ring or something to seal it against the plenum but I haven’t tore into it to find out. The idle is much better. Settles down to 800 rpms when it warms up. Unplugging the IAC didn’t change idle so I’m sure it’s leaking some but I’m undecided on tearing into it.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
No joy. Was still effecting the idle. Re thunk this situation. PO had cut the tube between valve and plenum and between exhaust manifold and first monitor port. The damn think leaks everywhere. I removed the tube from the plenum and put an expandable rubber plug in it. Sealed perfect. Filled the exhaust tube with exhaust sealant and squeezed it closed. Let it dry over night and it sealed up as well. Took it out for a trip to my brothers house. 60 mile round trip. No more idle troubles. I think I got er whipped.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
While got the vacuum issue fixed and my idle is good I do still get intermittent misfire. Got a descent code reader and set it up for live data watching for misfire on all cylinders. Didn’t take long to act up and gave me misfire on 4,5,6. Not all the same amount but all three misfire. Being a waste fire system I swapped 1 with 5 and drove again. When it misfired again it was 4,5,6 Ohms tested the coil Primary’s .07.08.07. Nothing on secondary’s. Yes I set Ohms to 20k. Should be 6,500 to 11,000. I got nothing. I’m thinking my coil is bad.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Have a spare coil to swap in? Good part to have on hand...

Does your resistance drop to zero or does it just stay on 1 (infinite)?

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Primaries hold at .7 or .8
Secondary’s never move. OL.

No spare. This is my first 4.0. But I’ll be pickin when I’m at the yard.

Last edited:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
This has been a roller coaster ride. Initial issue a little intermittent rough idle at start up when warm. Being neglected by PO I put some Lucas injector cleaned in it. A day or two later when accelerating to highway speed it started sputtering like it had a dead miss. Straightened out quickly but then it would do this on occasion. Put new plugs and wires in but still doing it’s intermittent dead miss. Checked codes but nothing about a misfire. I would watch live data and see a misfire on 4,5,6. Not equally and in a quantity that didn’t seem to match the feel of the misfire. Tested the coil as previously reported and was confused at the results. 1 method said test 12+ to all three grounds for primary’s. That’s seems fine. Then test grounds to plugs for secondary’s. This is were I got failures. All registered OL. Nothing. Others said test plug to plug for secondary’s , this showed good. So I’m somewhat confused by now.
I’m not getting any misfire codes so I investigated how the ECU determines a misfire. To my surprise there is no monitoring of the spark. It monitors the crank sensor for rpm changes. Wow. So a misfire isn’t necessarily a lack of spark. It’s a lack of power on the power stroke of the piston. One element of the equation fuel/air/spark is missing. Now I’m thinking, this started after I put the injector cleaner in it. Perhaps my misfire is from a lack of fuel not a lack of spark. Maybe the fuel system cleaning out is loosening deposits and plugging the injector. I took it for a drive and intentionally hit the rev limiter under load to hopefully reach maximum injector flow. Maybe just a coincidence but it has not had a misfire since. I took it for a 40 mile run, didn’t misfire once. Got a can of seafoam this time and added to a full tank. Put about 80 miles on it and no misfires. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I have resolved the issue. I would welcome any input all y’all might have. Understanding words have meaning and having to properly use words to describe or report an issue can either find the trouble or send you into a bottomless rabbit hole.

Edit. My redneck speak :
Y’all is singular.
All y’all is plural.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals