• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not running smoothly

runningslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My '97 2.3L has been developing this issue where it doesn't like to hold a steady speed. The truck will feels like its surging, perhaps more like someone is feathering the throttle, tapping their toe on the gas pedal, rolling like the ocean. ... whatever metaphor or simile you prefer. Its definitely more noticeable at slower speeds (10-30mph), but I can usually feel it at highway speeds, too.

I'm suspecting the IAC or MAF, but I'm open to other ideas.

The problem with symptoms like this is that everyone will use slightly different words to describe it and it makes it darn near impossible to search.... :icon_confused:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Disconnect the vacuum line on the EGR valve and drive it.

If it quits jerking, you likely have a bad EGR DPFE.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My '97 2.3L has been developing this issue where it doesn't like to hold a steady speed. The truck will feels like its surging, perhaps more like someone is feathering the throttle, tapping their toe on the gas pedal, rolling like the ocean. ... whatever metaphor or simile you prefer. Its definitely more noticeable at slower speeds (10-30mph), but I can usually feel it at highway speeds, too.

The problem with symptoms like this is that everyone will use slightly different words to describe it and it makes it darn near impossible to search.... :icon_confused:
it's 2012......buy yourself a scanner......if you have an android device you can buy and elm 327 for $15 and download torque pro for $5..........then you would check for codes and learn how to read all the pids's. in the long run this is your best avenue....

runningslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it's 2012......buy yourself a scanner......if you have an android device you can buy and elm 327 for $15 and download torque pro for $5..........then you would check for codes and learn how to read all the pids's. in the long run this is your best avenue....
Seriously? That's your answer? :annoyed:

Last time I checked, the truck is only throwing one code and that is for the VSS. I don't remember the last time I had a functioning speedometer, other than my android phone on a windshield mount.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Last time I checked, the truck is only throwing one code and that is for the VSS. I don't remember the last time I had a functioning speedometer, other than my android phone on a windshield mount.
ah yeh.,....seriously dude that is my answer!!!!!....Somethings you learn after acquiring 27,000 posts on these auto Forums.........

Let's see on your first post you were to lazy to tell us you checked for codes?

Also you are being very cryptic!.....Am I suppose to try and guess if you have an android phone that is hooked up to your data port with some type of scanner software?.....seriously dude...use your words?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Also.....if you want to be coddled find someone else or go talk to your Mom.....if you want to get your truck fixed then I was your man........Maybe you wanted me to tell you to throw every part in the book at it!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Lastly.........after you came back and told us what the codes were if any I would have suggested to you that you do all the maintenance items that are needed..........80% of the time that solves the issue.......#1 rule for DXing an Auto is to check for codes..then do the maintenance items............lets see how many members show up to disagree with me?.......if they show up at all?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, did disconnecting the EGR valve have any effect?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
definitely a possibility. I think the EGR only opens while cursing and I believe from his description that is when it happens..........if he checked for pending codes frequently he might catch a p0401.

runningslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No, I haven't tried, yet. Frankly, I haven't been home for much more than sleeping in the past few days. I'll do this before I take the truck out for lunch.

Another newb question for which I'm going to be ridiculed for: When I do this, do I need to plug the vac line?

The problem is intermittent and the truck is driveable. I only really noticed the bucking/surging on cold starts and eventually seems to go away after 20-30 minutes of driving. Some days are better than others.

ah yeh.,....seriously dude that is my answer!!!!!....Somethings you learn after acquiring 27,000 posts on these auto Forums.........

Let's see on your first post you were to lazy to tell us you checked for codes?

Also you are being very cryptic!.....Am I suppose to try and guess if you have an android phone that is hooked up to your data port with some type of scanner software?.....seriously dude...use your words?
I came to a truck forum to ask for help. A novel idea. I've come here before and asked for input several times and got useful information. My reaction to your first post, wasn't because of you suggesting that I need to pull codes, but because of how you said it. My cryptic answer was my attempt to politely give you the finger.

I own a elm327, but the chinese POS has never worked. Probably just a bad unit. Should have returned or exchanged it, but I didn't want to deal with shipping it back to china, so I ate the $30 I paid for mine a year or so ago. It would power on and connect to my phone, but I could never get it to connect to the truck. I tried with a few other cars, too.

You can be proud however that your response spurred me to go an order a new one for $15. I'll have it in a few days. Hope this one works.

Anyway.... I'll run down to AutoZone at lunch and get my codes pulled, just to make sure there's nothing new. That's the problem of having a persistent CEL, you never know if there's a new code unless you have them pulled again.

Also.....if you want to be coddled find someone else or go talk to your Mom.....if you want to get your truck fixed then I was your man........Maybe you wanted me to tell you to throw every part in the book at it!
Coddled no. Some diag help... yes. I'm no pro with 27,000 posts, so I do need some help. I can turn a wrench just fine, but I may need some help finding the right one.

Lastly.........after you came back and told us what the codes were if any I would have suggested to you that you do all the maintenance items that are needed..........80% of the time that solves the issue.......#1 rule for DXing an Auto is to check for codes..then do the maintenance items............lets see how many members show up to disagree with me?.......if they show up at all?
I won't disagree. Sounds about right.

I'll post up any codes that show up after I have them pulled at AutoZone.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since it is intermittent, yes, you should plug the open line.

You may have to drive it a considerable distance before the CEL comes on telling you that EGR is faulty because the line is disconnected.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I came to a truck forum to ask for help. A novel idea. I've come here before and asked for input several times and got useful information. My reaction to your first post, wasn't because of you suggesting that I need to pull codes, but because of how you said it. My cryptic answer was my attempt to politely give you the finger.
Very classy, especially for a noob......sorry I did not treat you with the reverence you are used to. Sometimes I even forget I am doing this for free.
ps. I have bought 5 of those elm 327(I gave them to friends and family. I bought them form a guy out of Brooklyn. All have worked. Prices ranged from $12 to $15.....I would have told you that if you let me know you had an android device.....I got some good advice a long time ago.......when you are in a hole. Stop digging.

Best of luck to you. Peace.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic

I'll call you both idiots. To be fair ModelA, your first response looks like you're advertising apps for Android and looks like a total cop out answer. It IS cryptic. You should have simply asked "Do you have any CEL codes?" and left the how-to on checking codes out of it.

Also, 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot so...where does the 80% come in? What do you consider to be maintenance items?

On the other hand, it is the original poster's responsibility to give us all KNOWN information without an attitude.

I think there needs to be a little less testosterone in this area.

PS Yeah, plug the vacuum line. If you pull the EGR line and leave it hanging you'll have a non-working EGR AND a vacuum leak ;) Make sure you let us know if you checked out the MAF. I doubt it's the IAC since it's when holding a steady speed you experience the problem.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll call you both idiots. To be fair ModelA, your first response looks like you're advertising apps for Android and looks like a total cop out answer. It IS cryptic. You should have simply asked "Do you have any CEL codes?" and left the how-to on checking codes out of it.

Also, 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot so...where does the 80% come in? What do you consider to be maintenance items?
if I had a dime for every time I asked for codes and got zero response I would be Mitt Romney rich. I know people do exaggerate and make things up. I however was telling you the truth when I said I have 27k auto forum posts. just about all of them are for helping people. I agree with your statement that my 80% was arbitrary. I did pull it as a guess form my 27k posts. I could be off a little.

I have not been on this forum much for the last few years. it seems that the things I help out with are more appropriate on a few of the other forums......that being said.....where did you get the stat about 95% of all Statistics are made up on the spot ;) ?

FYI. I do not sell apps or anything else on the internet. I just recognize a good product when I see it.........and for $20,an android device and torque pro you will not find a better deal for a good obd-II scanner?.........I think I will meander back to my other 2 forums....I seem to click with them a little better....peace!

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if I had a dime for every time I asked for codes and got zero response I would be Mitt Romney rich. I know people do exaggerate and make things up. I however was telling you the truth when I said I have 27k auto forum posts. just about all of them are for helping people. I agree with your statement that my 80% was arbitrary. I did pull it as a guess form my 27k posts. I could be off a little.

I have not been on this forum much for the last few years. it seems that the things I help out with are more appropriate on a few of the other forums......that being said.....where did you get the stat about 95% of all Statistics are made up on the spot ;) ?

FYI. I do not sell apps or anything else on the internet. I just recognize a good product when I see it.........and for $20,an android device and torque pro you will not find a better deal for a good obd-II scanner?.........I think I will meander back to my other 2 forums....I seem to click with them a little better....peace!

Lol, no worries ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals