• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

North maine woods overland adventure

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
20230726_160041.jpg

12v cooler has now been plugged in for 24 hours, and still showing at least 60% charge left.

My only nitpick about the power station so far is I wish it's battery life info was provided a little more accurately.. Instead of 20% blocks. Definitely not the end of the world though.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd like to see photos of the B-17. In WWII my father was a pilot trainer in one. Every 60 or 90 days they would bring a roster around for signing up to go over seas, my dad signed it every time but they never let him go. He was sitting in the cockpit of a B-17 waiting to take off when they heard it coming over the radio Japan had surrendered

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I'd like to see photos of the B-17. In WWII my father was a pilot trainer in one. Every 60 or 90 days they would bring a roster around for signing up to go over seas, my dad signed it every time but they never let him go. He was sitting in the cockpit of a B-17 waiting to take off when they heard it coming over the radio Japan had surrendered
I'll do my best to take pictures of everything interesting!

Power station testing is complete. Nearly 48 hours later, the cooler was still getting juice. Super happy.

Something to consider if youre thinking about a setup like this.. the hotter it is wherever the cooler is sitting... the more the cooler will need to run... so you might think about a power station with a bigger capacity.

My testing was in my room.. between 4pm and 7am I have the AC running at 68°. Then between 7am and 4pm the temperature will creep up to AT LEAST the outside temperature.. if not more. It's been above 80 and humid the duration of my test.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
20230728_140729.jpg

Juuuust about packed up... waiting on the fiance to arrive and toss her crap in and then we're on our way!

Sigh of relief honestly... I was wondering if there was gonna be enough room for everything 😋 got plenty!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool deal man. You guys be careful out there

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
View attachment 95987

Juuuust about packed up... waiting on the fiance to arrive and toss her crap in and then we're on our way!

Sigh of relief honestly... I was wondering if there was gonna be enough room for everything 😋 got plenty!
You THINK you have plenty of room for her stuff.

ha-ha-ha! There’s no such thing as “plenty of room” when a woman packs for a trip. Well, 99% of the time, anyway. I did recently travel with a woman who is abnormal in that regard. But that is a rarity.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
View attachment 95987

*There'll be enough room left for her stuff once you start unloading yours and leaving it at home. :icon_rofl:

ENJOY!!!

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
You THINK you have plenty of room for her stuff.

ha-ha-ha! There’s no such thing as “plenty of room” when a woman packs for a trip. Well, 99% of the time, anyway. I did recently travel with a woman who is abnormal in that regard. But that is a rarity.
And yet, you called her 'abnormal'. Hmmm. I could go on about your taste in women and all but....:censored:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Trip report time!

We didnt make it as far on Friday as I was hoping for, mostly thanks to unpreparedness. After making a stop for groceries, a stop for some extra gear, and a stop at the 'flower' store.. we had to set up camp Friday night a little short of where our mapped route actually began.

Camp on Friday night was nothing special.. just a little clearing in the middle of the woods, on a dirt road that stretches between Byron and Andover. No water.. no real view.. just an assload of various biting insects and a bunch of ATVs ripping by lol. The dew point was terrible.. around 75°.. as soon as the sun started to set everything got soaked.

Saturday morning in camp:
20230729_082003.jpg
20230729_082847.jpg

I took a panoramic shot of camp and the clearing but it won't upload..

We packed up and hit the road..

20230729_110526.jpg

Scenic outlook on top of Height of land in Rangely, mighty close to the start of the actual route. This is on Rt17, If you miss it.. your blind.

Once we got to the head of our route... things didn't start off well. Got a few miles in just to turn around and head back towards Rt16 because that particular road got WAY too grown in for the comfort of my paint 😋 I knew this was going to be a potential, so I had an easy reroute mapped out and we took that instead.

Not long later we came to the B-17 memorial:
20230729_132057.jpg

20230729_132133.jpg
20230729_132150.jpg

^ you can read a little about this wreck and another wreck that happened in Maine a few hours later here. Should also be able to zoom in on my photos and read the stone & placard.

A good portion of the fuselage is reportedly still there, and we tried to find it with no real luck. A little trail goes down over the hill (mountain) from the memorial stone.. presumably to the rest of the wreck.. but its SUPER grown in. We needed to crouch below the waist-high undergrowth to be able to see where the trail went.. and eventually came face to face with a pile of fresh bear scat. I wasn't carrying lead heavy enough to throw at bear, so we turned around.

20230729_134233.jpg

It started getting dark&stormy looking considering the weather said it was supposed to be nice all weekend 😒

20230729_143849.jpg

20230729_143948.jpg

Crossing the bridge over this stream WAS the plan, until we got there and saw that it's been removed... so... started another detour.

We backtracked awhile and got to the start of the road that's on the other side of the pictured stream.. and started our way north.. just to be met with a locked gate -__- more backtracking, more detours. This one was a real bummer.. the section of our route that was gated off ran right beside the Canadian border and had a big cluster of ponds that would of been really nice to see.

Screenshot_20230729-181820_Chrome.jpg

We emerged from the woods in Eustis, right around dinner time. Rain had started. I had hoped to be to this point many hours prior.. stupid detours.

We were hungry, I was bummed about the day, didn't want to search for a place to set up camp.. and certainly didn't want to get wet.. so i decided to cheat and get a room at a local motel 😊 ended up being the right decision. That storm caused all sorts of havoc back home.

The following morning.. BEAUTIFUL day.. temperatures were 20 degrees cooler than the previous two and nearly all the humidity had vanished.. actually needed to wear a sweatshirt all day lol.
20230730_101448.jpg

On the road again..

20230730_111459.jpg

2nd leg of the trip starts out passing by "a" windfarm.. if you zoom in you can see a dozen or so turbines in the distance.. there were a handful of them behind where I was standing.. and off to the right and further to the left there are probably another dozen or so. IIRC the top of this mountain was 3500' or so.. highest point all weekend.

20230730_115629.jpg

We crossed over an incredible amount of super picturesque little mountain streams.. really would of liked to stop and enjoy them all.. but would of needed a week off at minimum lol.

20230730_131240.jpg

Rock pond.. unknown town.. id have to check the map. There are a couple primitive campsites here that we want to stay at eventually. Super gorgeous.. and full of 100% wild unstocked trout.

Brook that dumps into Rock pond.. one of the sites is immideately to the left of where I took this (top) picture.
20230730_133534.jpg

20230730_133149.jpg

(The site is directly to the right now) One of the coolest primitive spots we came across for sure... thanks to one presumably man made feature. This is your typical rocky mountain stream.. average depth probably less than a foot... BUT...

20230801_102424.jpg

The little bit circled in blue is probably 5' deep. JUST right there. Nice spot to sit and soak on a hot day.. a HOT day... mountain streams are NOT warm lol.

20230730_131909.jpg

Also got to experience some real NatGeo stuff while we were standing by the pond.. just hanging out.. enjoying the silence.. all of a sudden a huge commotion erupts from the grass and up comes this GIANT dragonfly with a meal that wasn't that much smaller than it was... super brutal. It was hungry enough where I could get my phone within range to get some decent pictures and a video..

20230730_134855.jpg

I enjoy trees growing around things.. Definitely appreciated this sign.

20230730_150535.jpg

We were almost to the 2nd and final paved portion of the trip when we came to this road.. barely there. Went about a mile or so down here and decided to turn around when it started to get even more grown in and wet... another detour... oh well.

Took the paved road through Jackman, and back into the woods.
20230730_154040.jpg

Ended up in the area of Seboomic for dinner and our final night.. nestled between Seboomic lake and the north bay of Moosehead lake.. gorgeous area. We stayed at a lean-to site just above Seboomic dam... we were kept good company by some random dead guy. Trying to find info on the grave.. not much luck so far. There might not be any... or anyone still living that knows info about it.

20230730_180644.jpg

20230730_181111.jpg

Almost all the safety bouys had some sort of Crane camped out on it the whole time we were there. Good fishing. Saw & heard a few loons as well.

20230730_182748.jpg

There was a relatively new outhouse across the road.. well ventilated.

20230730_212435.jpg

20230730_213134.jpg

Our last night.. tried out night mode on my phone.. meh.

That pretty much wraps it up... between our late start on Friday and a whole day of detours & reroutes on Saturday... we only got to mabey 50% of the mapped route. To do the entirety of the route, with plenty of time to stop and enjoy the nature along the way.. probably 4 days minimum.. mabey a week? The last half of the trip had some cool stuff too... ice caves and some abandoned trains used for logging 100 years ago. Can't wait to get there.

Attachments

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Nice write-up and great pictures.

Detours happen. It’s part of the adventure.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Looks FANTASTIC! Next time, get that week off. Beautiful country, and long range mountain views - except for the windmills that seem to deface it and ruin the experience.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Looks like a fun trip, detours are to be expected. I only took my Xterra on one "proper" trail. My wife was along and out her side she could see a lot of down and wasn't a fan. The trail was meant for side-by-sides, but my truck measured 1" wider than the max width listed on the trail guide and I sent it. They weren't kidding; we made it a couple miles in and tore the sidewall out of my tire on a root sticking out of the dirt where the trail was terraced into the hill. Ended up using our cooler lid for the jack to lift the truck for the tire change as it kept sinking into the sandy soil. We found a spot and turned around, tail between our legs.

On coolers, how do you like yours? I've been thinking about buying one of these as getting groceries home in the FL heat is bothersome. It would be nice to not worry about ice.

And totally coincidentally I could use it when camping and the boat! Once I get some solar panels installed I should have perpetual cooling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals