• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

noisy d35, bad ring and pinion?

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
hey guys been a while. i have a new problem now. my 1990 4x4 started to make a noise that started as a squeek and grew into a squeel then into a jingle. it took a while for this to happen but now it just sounds like jingling car keys all the way to 35mph in fourth gear then it quits. I have taken it to the mechanic and he couldnt find the origin of the noise so i have just been driving it and being annoyed all the time because of the noise.

Anyway, i went to jiffylube today and they checked my front diff and a butt load of metal flakes were in my fluid:bawling: the guy said that my ring and pinion is separated just enough to work but i need to replace that stuff and it would probably be my mystery noise.

is he right? i have to find this mystery noise and fix the problem.

any help?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You had metal shavings, but were they small or were they more like chunks of metal?? It is possible it is your R&P, and if I were you, I wouldn't put any money into that housing. As many d35's as they have laying around in the junkyard, I'd grab a complete front diff from a u pull it yard, just unbolt the beam at the pivot bracket and take the entire beam. Just make sure you check the axle ratio to make sure it is the same. Doing it this way will also help you with less down time with your truck :icon_thumby:
SVT

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Does this noise happen in 4x4 only?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
A couple more questions...Do you have auto or manual hubs and if manual do you leave them locked??
SVT

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
2wd or 4wd and manual hubs that i dont keep locked in

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If its making the noise in 2WD and your front hubs are unlocked then it's not the front end making the noise...I'd check your driveshaft's 3 U-joints as more than likely its one of them and its dry/damaged...While you are under there check your carrier bearing as well :icon_thumby:
SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, let us know what you find :icon_thumby:
SVT

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
how do you check the carrier bearing?

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why check the carrier bearing? If your hubs aren't locked in, and you're not in 4wd, then it's not the carrier bearing. It is also not the driveshaft u-joints, or axle u-joints. Again, if the transfer case is in 2wd and your hubs are unlocked, then none of this will be spinning.

However, check your hubs. If you have the stock Ford manual hubs or the Warn hubs, then there is a bearing inside of them. This could be a culprit. if you have MileMarker hubs, then there is a bushing inside them and mine didn't last all that long...definitely won't ever be buying another product from them again.

Check your wheel bearings. Also check the dust shield behind your brakes. Something could have been scraping for a bit and have broken off and now jingling around.

If it's none of these items, then check your rear driveshaft. It could be worn out and making noise. I'm not sure if you have a regular cab or extended cab, but if you have an extended cab then you should be checking the carrier bearing on mid-drive shaft for any play. Also checking the u-joints on the rear drive shaft.

If it makes this sound when you put it in 4wd or lock the hubs in, then it could be any of the 3 axle shaft u-joints, the driveshaft u-joints, front differential, spindle bearings, etc. If this is the case, the carrier bearings are only able to be checked by pulling the pumpkin out and measuring using a dial indicator to check backlash and by physically looking over the bearings. This will be a last resort. Check the easy things first!

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't make myself clear enough, my fault. I meant the rear driveshaft will be the problem, and the carrier bearing is the part that supports the rear driveshaft in a 2 piece setup. One of your rear driveshaft U-joints is the problem...
SVT

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RangerSVT, you were clear in your post, I was tired last night when I responded and missed what you were saying. LOL.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
RangerSVT, you were clear in your post, I was tired last night when I responded and missed what you were saying. LOL.
It's kool :icon_thumby:
how do you check the carrier bearing?
Grab the driveshaft and see if you can move it side to side and up and down...All it is, is rubber holding the bearing in place, so if the rubber is bad/broken it will move without resistance, if you grab it and it moves a little, say less than 1/4 inch but takes some effort, then chances are it is still good. If you look at it you should see some webbing that the rubber is formed into, if you see any breaks thats how you tell if it is bad...
SVT

chazawazzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
found the mystery noise, it was the carrier bearing after all! thanks for the advice fellas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals