• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no power to the ac compressor

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
like the title says i do not have power to the compressor. i swapped in a new 4.0 motor along with all the accesories so i had the freon removed from the original system i went to get it replaced and they said they could not due to the fact that the compressor does not have power.

what electrical test can i run?

shane

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
First off what year and model do you have obviously you checked the fuse/fuses checked and cleaned all the electrical connectors. Get a schematic and start testing for power my book only goes up to 1990. the computer adjusts the idle to account for the added load but dont run the compressor you can destroy it running without oil and refrigerant find the problem then disable it till you can get it charged with juice. Did they try and power it up for you you would think they would know how to troubleshoot the controls. Maybe try a different shop one that actually works on A/C if they will only charge the system I have my doubts they will do that correct also.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The system will not have electric until the coolant pressure rises. There is a pressure switch on the high side of the pump that engages the clutch. There must be positive pressure in the system.

Starting with an evacuated system (a vacuum), they should put the coolant into the system to bring the pressure up, then start the motor and AC to finish the fill.

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
Amen to srteach. besides once an adequate vacuum is pulled on the system they can weight the proper charge in without even starting the engine or atleast i can 99% of the time whether it be a auto a/c or a home a/c system.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the system is dead no pressure it has to be pressure checked then vacked down to remove all moisture and non condensables before you can add refrigerant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals