• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No headlights

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
Headlights wont come on 1987 Ranger XLT

happy monday everyone.

Started the truck to leave for a new work week, pulled the headlight switch, everything but the headlights are working.

Noticed they seemed dim at startup a few days ago, but then would brighten up after the alternator/engine got up to highway speed. Don't think this is related.

I've read this can either be the headlight switch of the MFS in the column. Anyone have this issue before?

All the blinkers and dome/bed light & reverse lights are all working normally, only the headlights don't work and its both the low & high beams.

Last edited:

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
happy monday everyone.

Started the truck to leave for a new work week, pulled the headlight switch, everything but the headlights are working.

Noticed they seemed dim at startup a few days ago, but then would brighten up after the alternator/engine got up to highway speed. Don't think this is related.

I've read this can either be the headlight switch of the MFS in the column. Anyone have this issue before?

All the blinkers and dome/bed light & reverse lights are all working normally, only the headlights don't work and its both the low & high beams.

I should also add, a few days ago my truck broke down for a separate, unrelated issue, and I attempted to turn the flashers on, but they wouldn't flash. I pulled the switch out, then turned the left blinker on so they would both flash. This is the only way they have worked since I've owned the truck. Could the multi function switch be the culprit for both the headlights not working AND the flashers not flashing?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd look at the MFS first.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Do the high beams work? WAG is check the battery voltage. If it is >14.5 Volts then the regulator is overcharging. My first road vehicle ,a '54 IH 3/4 ton van, had a bad voltage regulator and I couldn't find the proper one. So I would short out the field or something, and it would charge the 6 volt so much that when I turned on the head lights, they popped like flash bulbs. :D

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Do the high beams work? WAG is check the battery voltage. If it is >14.5 Volts then the regulator is overcharging. My first road vehicle ,a '54 IH 3/4 ton van, had a bad voltage regulator and I couldn't find the proper one. So I would short out the field or something, and it would charge the 6 volt so much that when I turned on the head lights, they popped like flash bulbs. :D
No high beams either. The running lights and taillights come on, the brake lights seem to work (its day time) and the blinkers both work but the flashers dont.

I just changed the MFS and nothing changed. I'm not even getting the blue indicator light on the dash that the high beams are on when you toggle the brights switch.

I'm going to change the headlight switch next. Anyone konw a brief summary on the easiest way to do this? Looks like I need to take off the ring around the switch and the plate should pop off but I don't want to wreck that ring getting it off.

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
interior and bed light turn on and off with the switch no problem as well. Basically, the only thing that isn't working are the high/low beams and the emergency flashers.

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Just replaced the headlight switch, and I'm still having the same problem. I have noticed that the front yellow blinkers work and running lights work, but my side yellow blinkers/running lights do not. Still no headlights or emergency flashers.

When I pulled the headlights switch out one of the posts was noticeably burned, and the plastic on the harness was scortched in the same place. Could that post be responsible for my problem or should I look somewhere else? Maybe a fuze? I checked the board but didn't see one for the headlights. Am I missing something?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you replaced the headlight switch, but did not repair or replace the harness connector, you may still have a bad connection at that point. The heat reduces the "spring tension" that the female electrical connector has for gripping the male spade on the switch. Therefore, the connection will always be loose and create resistance, which in turn creates more heat and more damage. Always replace both sides of an overheated electrical connection.

The headlight switch I ordered from Rock Auto came with a new harness connector. But mine is a '93.

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Bad ground wire was the culprit for the headlights. Still figuring out what is going on with the side markers but it might just be the bulbs.

On a side note, my lights were REALLY dim before this. I could drive around with my brights on and nobody would flash me. Somewhere in replacing the switch, MFS, or tightening the ground wire completely solved this. It's like I have HIDs now compared to how it was.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Somewhere in replacing the switch, MFS, or tightening the ground wire completely solved this.
Ground is EQUALLY important as power. A circuit is similar to a chain. It only works PROPERLY if ALL the parts are right. One weak link = bad chain.

Glad you found the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals