• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Night from hell with my B2!!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well any other suggestions on what it could be? I changed the spark plugs and I am putting new exhaust on. The issue started last week when I found that my cats were clogged so I removed the cats and then I drove it a few days and then it did it again. A buddy of mine said it had to be the plugs so I changed the plugs. Now when I am driving once I hit about 3000 rpms it starts to sputter and shake. If i recall right it only does it when you are moving not when you push the clutch in and rev so im guessing it only does it when there is a load on the engine. Any ideas? I am at a loss.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well any other suggestions on what it could be? I changed the spark plugs and I am putting new exhaust on. The issue started last week when I found that my cats were clogged so I removed the cats and then I drove it a few days and then it did it again. A buddy of mine said it had to be the plugs so I changed the plugs. Now when I am driving once I hit about 3000 rpms it starts to sputter and shake. If i recall right it only does it when you are moving not when you push the clutch in and rev so im guessing it only does it when there is a load on the engine. Any ideas? I am at a loss.
Ever check that fuel regulator?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No I have never checked it. I don't even know where it is or how to check it.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No I have never checked it. I don't even know where it is or how to check it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85131

Its the round part with the yellow dot. If it fails the little vacume line will suck fuel straight into the intake and most goes down the rear plenum runner into the rear two cylinders and it can hydrolock the rear two, cause raw fuel in the exaust system(fire), melt cats, fill up the brake booster ect.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whats the latest on this?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I changed the wires, plugs, ignition coil, and the module underneath the distributor, I changed the exhaust and I unplugged the o2 sensor because of the exhaust change. After all that the only thing left was the fuel pressure regulator. My buddy pulled off the regulator and blew into it. He wasn't able to blow any air through the regulator but in the middle of him blowing the gas actually shot backwards into his mouth. This showed us that the regulator was not good and was back feeding the engine. Also my buddy said that when the regulator goes bad it can dump fuel into the engine which i believe was my issue because you can smell the gas fumes coming out of the exhaust. So I will replace this regulator on Saturday and update yall if it fixes my issue or not. :icon_thumby:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I changed the wires, plugs, ignition coil, and the module underneath the distributor, I changed the exhaust and I unplugged the o2 sensor because of the exhaust change. After all that the only thing left was the fuel pressure regulator. My buddy pulled off the regulator and blew into it. He wasn't able to blow any air through the regulator but in the middle of him blowing the gas actually shot backwards into his mouth. This showed us that the regulator was not good and was back feeding the engine. Also my buddy said that when the regulator goes bad it can dump fuel into the engine which i believe was my issue because you can smell the gas fumes coming out of the exhaust. So I will replace this regulator on Saturday and update yall if it fixes my issue or not. :icon_thumby:
So sounds like things like in post #34 were happening? Pull the line off your brake booster and sniff in there too, if gas got in there it will ruin the diaphram and you could crash.:shok:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have not checked the brake booster yet but when I go back to my buddies shop saturday to work on it I will definitely check the brake booster. There is one on my 85 ranger parts truck so I might just steal it and replace mine just to be safe.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
but yes I havent checked the brake booster but everything else in post #34 matches my symptoms

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
but yes I havent checked the brake booster but everything else in post #34 matches my symptoms
Lets hope this is the fix and just wondering which plug was stuck? If this is indeed the problem an unfortunate consequence sometimes is that gas washes down the cylinders ( mostly the rears) and scores the cylinder walls. If this cures it you may want to do a compression check later to see if the rear cylinders give you a lower reading. The reason I say that is because if they did get scored the blow by will give you increased crankcase pressure and also carbon up your combustion chamber/ valves and send oil downstream to your O2 sensor and cat.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
#5 was the plug that broke off, the middle plug on the passenger side. Hopefully I will fix the regulator and the engine has not had time to cause any further damage but I will see if my buddy has a way of running a compression test on the engine and see.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
#5 was the plug that broke off, the middle plug on the passenger side. Hopefully I will fix the regulator and the engine has not had time to cause any further damage but I will see if my buddy has a way of running a compression test on the engine and see.
If he dont have a compression tester all parts stores have them for loan. First and foremost dis-able the ignition ( coil wire) and pull ALL the plugs. A friend of mines son lost his truck, burnt down a shed and was himself caught on fire because of this.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Will do thanks for the advice

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sounds like you found your problem.

I personally wouldn't bother with the compression test. You're dealing with a 27 year old engine that likely has some wear...if it runs, that's good enough. Burning a little rich for the short period of time that yours did won't hurt it. It takes a LOT of fuel to wash the cylinder walls to the point where they are damaged.

Don't worry too much about the brake booster, either... if it fails, the worst that will happen is you won't have power brakes. Been there a few times but it has always been caused by a leaking master cylinder, not fuel contamination. Cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah im gonna put the new regulator tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem. Ill probably drive it like it is as long as it runs fine. If it doesn't then ill work on compression test and keep going down the list.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals