• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New V8 Project

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Define moving up North? Can I borrow that garage for a couple of years? I could really go silly with that much room!
Dave
Haha, Merrit! Ya that picture was acutally taken half way down the shop :D, there's also a 10 Ton overhead crane in there and everything, However, once you get a lift and a paint booth - space gets eaten up pretty quickly!!!

If your in the nieghbourhood - Vacation! :icon_thumby: Let me know and you can stop by anytime! Normally all you'll hear is oldies bumpin (i installed a sound system for my dad :icon_hornsup: he loves it!!!)

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a question?

Some Excellent Info On Ford Auto Tranny's: http://www.transtec.com/selector_guide/Ford.htm

Also,
http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

I found this out as well, the M5R2 tranny also came in the Thunderbird Super Coupe (89-95 3.8 L Supercharged engines) The SC version was similar to the truck versions but had the shifter mounted at the rear of the tailshaft housing using internal shifter rods to couple to the shifter forks.

Wouldn't that make the shifter location the same as the Ranger's M5R1??? Hmmm I might have to get some measurements!!!

Ry

Last edited:

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alright: Finally Sorted out the Driveline facts. Here is what i'm going to use!

Engine: 96 Ford Explorer 302

Rad: Will need to Modify Explorer Rad to fit will use tranny cooler or cap off!! (using the 3.8L Tarus 2-speed E-fan)

Transmission: M50D-R2 Found in 1997+ F-150 w/ 4.2L V6 4x4

Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1356 Elec shift

Drive Shafts: 1992-1996 F-150 Reg cab Short box 4x4 (Front and Rear) 2967mm Wheel Base

Computer: 96 Ford Explorer (flashed) - for Now!!!!

Axels: 96 Explorer rear 31 spline w/ disc's & Ranger D35 up front (going to install 4:10 Gears)

Electrical: I am currently making full wiring diagrams however they may not work yet so i'll let everyone know once she fires!!!!! woot woot!!!

Last edited:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.6 tranny wont work on a 5.0 different bolt patterns, the dana 35 should be in your ranger already since the 96 exploder doesent have one, wouldnt use the electric shift version of the t-case, and get one from a full-size broco(they have fixed outputs vs the slip shaft on f-150), drive shafts should work but may need shortened(last thing to buy)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Boy I would sure ditch that Explorer computer system and to with the Mustang computer and ignition system. Re-sell it, others are looking for that stuff. With that 1356, you are really going to have to notch the frame rail to clear. Just more things to watch for!
Dave

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the 4.6 tranny wont work on a 5.0 different bolt patterns, the dana 35 should be in your ranger already since the 96 exploder doesent have one, wouldnt use the electric shift version of the t-case, and get one from a full-size broco(they have fixed outputs vs the slip shaft on f-150), drive shafts should work but may need shortened(last thing to buy)
the 4.6 doesn't work.... thank you... didn't know that... so i'll stick with the V6 then... that one bolts up to the V8 right???

Re-garding the D35... ya :icon_twisted: i was talking faster then writing!!! and thank for the info re-garding the f-150 slip shafts and Bronce fixed!!! (the F-150 stuff i haven't gotten yet... i'll look more into the Bronco parts!!)

Ya the drive shafts... I took the wheel bases for both Vehicles (F-150, Ranger) with there tranny to T-case dimensions and a assumed angle of 6degrees and played with them in CADD (now these are only assumptions and ride hieghts were assumed stock for now... however your right the shafts can be shorten or what not last) but it could work with the short box reg cab 4x4 F-150 :icon_confused::icon_thumby:

Boy I would sure ditch that Explorer computer system and to with the Mustang computer and ignition system. Re-sell it, others are looking for that stuff. With that 1356, you are really going to have to notch the frame rail to clear. Just more things to watch for!
Dave
:icon_twisted: HEHE i'll b driving you nuts with the harness!!! :icon_rofl: I'll be picking it all up just incase... I'd really like to give that harness atry though and so far it's going alright!!! (i'm now even considering using the instrument cluster from the explorer and modifying the dash of the ranger???? people do it with volkswagen all the time... however (ones round and the other is square:sad:)

I was looking everywhere for the information that i had... must not have put it as a favorite!!!! i'll keep looking but what i found is that you just make the drivers side engine mount a 1/4" higher (not sure if thats the right terminology) which will (by the end of the tranny and t-case) move you approximatly 2.5" towards the passenger side... therefore hopefully not makein the notch work too extensive :sad: not sure if that'll work though... i might end up with a crazy cross member buttttt... not sure... i'll find the link... hopefully!

Last edited:

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently installing the 97 Explorer 5.0 into a 96 Ranger...Mac told me to write you regarding an Explorer wiring harness. I also want to stick with the Explorer wiring..How is it going for you? No trying to be a pest but I dont wanna be like everyone else and revert back to the Mustang comp & wiring. My truck is going to be a 2WD. Thanks in advance!

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am currently installing the 97 Explorer 5.0 into a 96 Ranger...Mac told me to write you regarding an Explorer wiring harness. I also want to stick with the Explorer wiring..How is it going for you? No trying to be a pest but I dont wanna be like everyone else and revert back to the Mustang comp & wiring. My truck is going to be a 2WD. Thanks in advance!
I PM'd Ya!!!!

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay,

Sorry, i finally have a chance to get back to this project... Don't buy a house when your in the middle of a V8 swap...

Anyways.

So after buying parts, trading parts and learning (thank you guys!!!!) I have finally collected the parts i need

Small List:

Original Truck - 94 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L Manual

Dornor Truck - 94 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L Automatic (Swap Columns/pedals)

Donor Explorer - 96 5.0L w/ 31 spline rear diff w/ dics
- No Pats
- Fuel Return
- VSS in rear (which i'm swaping to run the brain only)

Donor Tramission - 97 F-150 4.2L
- M5R2 Transmission w/ VSS Plug and starter (Which i'm swaping to run the stock 94 speedo)
- BW4406 TC w/ Shift Link
- Front / Rear Drive Shafts (convo u-joint) + not sure of the back.. but it looked okay, i'll see once everything is in place...

Purchased parts:
- L&L Motor Mounts (once i drop the assembly in, i'll inform how the tc fits) based on teh article in the tech pages, it'll b tight but do able)
- 164 T 50-once Imbal Flywheel
- 11" Truck Clutch and Pressure Plate
- Mustang dump Sump Pan
- 8" Skyjacker coils (replace the 6")
- Canton 90 Remote Filter Adapter
- Perma-cool single filter mount w/ brass fitting and hose clamps

Now to the pics so far :)

Here is what i'm planning on turning it into... (x-cab ofcourse... i was lazy)

I'm planning on snad blasting the frame in 2 weeks and then start dismantling my rolled ranger and then sand blast the suspension and come winter start putting the suspension together...

The Explorer is sitting in my garage, waiting to be stripped yet (but one thing at a time) at this time i'll slowly be added to this post.. but next year should be a good one :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals