• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Used Ranger, needs work, need HELP!!!!

laser411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so I had a little time to run the engine a little trying to get a code and when I rechecked the radiator it did have a little bit of oil sludge in it. So now from what I understand could be a Cracked head, bad head gasket, or cracked block (REALLY hoping not). Is there anyway before I tear it down to distinguish which it is?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hot compression test will help to determine what head(and cylinder) if not both. If it's just a HG then you can do a cheap and just replace the one that's blown. But you will not know if it's a cracked head or HG until you remove the head in question. Usually on a HG it's a good idea to have the head tested for flatness and cracks. But before you go ahead, tell us what the hot compression is in each cylinder, it may not pay to get any head work done as you could have bought yourself a truck that needs a new engine.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
When I got my head gaskets done I was told that the heads were designed of aluminum so that in that situation, they would crack before the cast iron block

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I got my head gaskets done I was told that the heads were designed of aluminum so that in that situation, they would crack before the cast iron block
Heads and block are both cast iron.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can spend lots of money throwing different parts at it, that may or may not fix your issues, or you can get a used 3.0 for ar couple hundred bucks and eliminate all of the hunting for problems. Around here taurus motors start at around $200 from the local yards. You'd probably spend that much or more on new cylinder heads.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can spend lots of money throwing different parts at it, that may or may not fix your issues, or you can get a used 3.0 for ar couple hundred bucks and eliminate all of the hunting for problems. Around here taurus motors start at around $200 from the local yards. You'd probably spend that much or more on new cylinder heads.
You could swap a different motor in to get you working then, as time and money allow, slowly rebuild you old 3.0L and swap it back in. Then you could prob resell the junkyard motor for close to what you paid for it.

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could swap a different motor in to get you working then, as time and money allow, slowly rebuild you old 3.0L and swap it back in. Then you could prob resell the junkyard motor for close to what you paid for it.
You have a good point here, I sold my blown motor for $130.

laser411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't really have the money to pay labor for dropping in a new motor or the knowledge/tools to do it myself, however new things have happened. started it up today and had the abnormal vibration still happening, was going to pull individual plugs like my cousin (mechanic) told me to do to find the offending cylinder. the block was shaking too much while running for me to do it so i cut it off, then thought about letting it run long enough to throw a code so cranked it back up, smoke was gone, vibration was gone and i drove it down the street, no lack of power or anything and no misfiring. now there's only a slight knock sound, less then a piston knock, more then a lifter, anything I can do to diagnose where its actually coming from or whats causing it?

92 street truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
might consider checking the timing if the chain jumped it could cause the problems your talking about

laser411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so, reviving my OLD thread, emphasis on old lol. Took the engine apart, found the following, One steam cleaned piston :p right in the middle of the right bank of cylinders= blown head gasket, opposite head had a chip in the middle cylinder but looks like it held its compression and fluids fine, tons of rust and debris in coolant channels (even after several flushes), So Removed water pump to fins that the fins were rusted and chunks missing, replaced. now heres the thing, over the months the truck has been apart, ive lost several miscellaneous bolts and parts, any ideas where to find em? tried junkyard. list follow:

1 water pump bolt (the larger one, got stuck into socket.....permanently)
Accessory bolts (alternator, brake booster, etc.)
Radiator bolts and the gromet like things
1x pushrod (dont ask, i dont know how the heck i just lost ONE lmao) replaced with heads from a ford windstar found in junkyard.
god only knows what else >..>

anywhere i can just get these new?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals