• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New trailer!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My old tandem flatbed 7x10 has been deemed no longer roadworthy and Ive been looking for a replacement for a while now, seems like anything worth buying aint much less than new , no where close to home and even though I really wanted another tandem axle, preferably a small car hauler over a snowmobile trailer like I did have, I decided that a 6x14 single axle 3500# would do what I needed most of the time, would be cheaper new, easier to pull and move about the yard with the mower and not need vehicles set up with a brake controller. Plus I was able to get one locally. Am going to add a winch & gate assist, that back gate is heavy! tomorrow I may go after that zero-turn she has been wanting, and bringing home lumber for the new chicken house will be easier & safer. I haven’t had it behind the ranger yet, brought it home with the escape, of course it didnt know it was there aside from the hitch rattle when going over something rough like railroad tracks.
73B210B7-E6D6-43F4-9078-EAC2155136E8.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My old tandem flatbed 7x10 has been deemed no longer roadworthy and Ive been looking for a replacement for a while now, seems like anything worth buying aint much less than new , no where close to home and even though I really wanted another tandem axle, preferably a small car hauler over a snowmobile trailer like I did have, I decided that a 6x14 single axle 3500# would do what I needed most of the time, would be cheaper new, easier to pull and move about the yard with the mower and not need vehicles set up with a brake controller. Plus I was able to get one locally. Am going to add a winch & gate assist, that back gate is heavy! tomorrow I may go after that zero-turn she has been wanting, and bringing home lumber for the new chicken house will be easier & safer. I haven’t had it behind the ranger yet, brought it home with the escape, of course it didnt know it was there aside from the hitch rattle when going over something rough like railroad tracks. View attachment 89258
Hell yeah. Its awesome having a good trailer!

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Can you fit a car on it? Probably would exceed tow capacity though.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
max capacity is just under 3000#. I don’t really have a towing vehicle that would support a trailer with a car on it. Picked up a new mower today, its still a good 2 months before needing one but if I wait then there could be issues getting what I want and paying more even if my choice was available. Drove to the next town and got it from tsc. My town didn’t have one in stock, could get it in a few days but a $96 delivery charge. I’ll go a extra 40 miles for a in-stock machine. Hope I get the hang of this, never operated a zero-turn before. 54” cut. The ranger did fine with it. Really wouldnt want any more trailer behind the 2.3 even with 4.10’s Granted 225/70’s would of been a little helpful vs the 235/70’s Im running now but it held its own.
1578DB92-A955-4DDA-AC92-FFB633C2AB86.jpeg
2B672B0B-0B77-4C3B-9BBA-DA5DAF51F6E6.jpeg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Nice, congrats!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Zero turns are easy to use.
Just be careful not to turn too fast. Some have plastic gears, some have cables they both tend to not like sudden changes of direction at full speed. Some of the commercial ones are a little more robust, but even those don't like being beat on. I'm talking about spinning it around or doing a sharp 90, where you put one side in reverse and one side forward.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There are times that nothing beats a good trailer. Your trailer is a good candidate for the tail gate assist. They are designed to mount on the side rails like what your trailer has. I've tried to find a solution for mine but no one can guarantee their system will work if it's mounted on the deck.

The only other thing I might suggest is some stabilizer jacks to minimize trailer movement when loading and unloading. Totally optional, of course but they do make a nice addition. Two at the back of the trailer is usually enough unless you like to load and unload your trailer when it's not hooked up to the vehicle, then two more at the front might be nice. But you have a V tongue rather than a single bar like my trailer has. So, the front ones might be over kill.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
There are times that nothing beats a good trailer. Your trailer is a good candidate for the tail gate assist. They are designed to mount on the side rails like what your trailer has. I've tried to find a solution for mine but no one can guarantee their system will work if it's mounted on the deck.

The only other thing I might suggest is some stabilizer jacks to minimize trailer movement when loading and unloading. Totally optional, of course but they do make a nice addition. Two at the back of the trailer is usually enough unless you like to load and unload your trailer when it's not hooked up to the vehicle, then two more at the front might be nice. But you have a V tongue rather than a single bar like my trailer has. So, the front ones might be over kill.
So, how about some time after my green Ranger is up we get together and see if we can puzzle out an answer for your gate assist issues? Surely it can’t be too terribly difficult to figure out.

On the note of stabilizer jacks, I completely second that suggestion. Usually it’s not needed for the front of a trailer unless you intend on loading/unloading without being secured to a vehicle, which even with the jacks I think is a little sketchy (I’ve seen it go wrong before) but usually that involves machinery being loaded/unloaded. Jacks in the rear though help keep from lifting up on the back of the tow vehicle during loading/unloading and support the back end of the trailer from wanting to take a downward bend. Back before such things were so readily available we used to stack 6x6 and 4x4 and such under the back of the big trailer we have and it made a huge difference, helps keep the trailer planted instead of squirming.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my haulmark box trailer has those stabilization legs at the back, they fold out from underneath the back corners then extend. Mostly useful when trailer isnt hooked up to a vehicle. Ive only did that once though, with my old tandem flatbed & the wheel horse. Front of the trailer went sky-high as the back end hit the ground. I thought the wheel horse would keep going so I didnt stop. About the time the back tires (with chains, had the tiller on) were almost at the deck it kicks the ramps out from under it and the front of the trailer goes back down. Nothing was damaged but I sure didnt try that again! This trailer is suprizingly well balanced, must be that big heavy gate on the back.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So, how about some time after my green Ranger is up we get together and see if we can puzzle out an answer for your gate assist issues? Surely it can’t be too terribly difficult to figure out.
The tie downs are also a limiting factor. It's better to see it in person to see what I mean and why. A conversation for another time off racsan's thread. :)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Im not a big fan of the black wheels, was going to change that yesterday and paint the center of those silver, took them off, removed the “retighten lug nut” stickers and scuffed them with a scotch brite pad- then discovered I had no silver paint. Had yellow, red, green (and ironically, black) but no silver. So I just hit it with a clear and it did help. Found some snap on ranger centers from the ‘97 I had painted metallic blue & the lug nuts that go with them so I put that all on. While I was doing that I noticed something, one of the metal crossbeams, just ahead of the axle had a metal electrical box tack welded to the frame (like youd put a 4-outlet thing in or two light switches. I did a little prying and found something inside. A gps tracker. Clever! I guess the battery inside is good for 7 years, Would be neat if I could access the data for the same reason it was put there, trailer goes missing-track it down! I didnt buy the lift-assist yet (gorilla lift is the brand, tsc has them - $250) I thought about it yesterday after I took the ranger back into town to get gas but decided Ive spent enough money this weekend. lol. Heres a zoomed in shot of the wheel and that tracking device I was talking about. I need to add some eye bolts as tie-downs too. can never have too many securing points.
9015408A-DCDD-48F8-8AED-66E0E10B3368.jpeg
80B4B00F-E6D3-4DB7-A0DF-08932071A257.png

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I suppose the tracker could be handy. I always took steps to make sure the trailer couldn't get stolen. Of course a lock can be defeated by a determined thief. Since I have the Lock N Roll hitch system now, theft is no longer a problem unless they have a tilting flat bed. More work than I think one is willing to expend.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I can see why the mfg company would do it, they are a us company (tennasee I think) and have independent dealer franchises, you can buy outright or do a rent to own & just drive away for $500 or less down payment. Wouldnt be too hard to just have some fraudulent papers, give up less than a grand for a 3-4 thousand dollar trailer then dissapear. I tried setting up my online account for payments once I got home but needed a account number I dont have, called and was told it would be in a email to me (that Ive not gotten yet) Youd think they would have a app, nearly everyone else does. This place also had tandem landscape trailers & car haulers, one 5th wheel trailer too. Also have sheds. At any rate, with that device they can monitor the location of assets at all times, probably even ground speed. Would be neat to see the data, theres a imei # on the back like a cell phone would have. Id assume data would only be accessed if someone quit making payments, who would have time to monitor thousands of “assets”? although if they did monitor everything it would be fun to mess with them a little, theres a strong magnet inside, slap it underneath a rail car , semi trailer or if you could get close enough- a space shuttle! even putting it on a forklift in a warehouse would have someone scratching their head if they we’re constantly watching data. While I get it, in a way its kinda creepy. Guess thats why they hid it so well. Who rolls under a trailer on a creeper?
02201695-AABD-4065-8D1C-43855F21606C.jpeg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can see why the mfg company would do it, they are a us company (tennasee I think) and have independent dealer franchises, you can buy outright or do a rent to own & just drive away for $500 or less down payment. Wouldnt be too hard to just have some fraudulent papers, give up less than a grand for a 3-4 thousand dollar trailer then dissapear. I tried setting up my online account for payments once I got home but needed a account number I dont have, called and was told it would be in a email to me (that Ive not gotten yet) Youd think they would have a app, nearly everyone else does. This place also had tandem landscape trailers & car haulers, one 5th wheel trailer too. Also have sheds. At any rate, with that device they can monitor the location of assets at all times, probably even ground speed. Would be neat to see the data, theres a imei # on the back like a cell phone would have. Id assume data would only be accessed if someone quit making payments, who would have time to monitor thousands of “assets”? although if they did monitor everything it would be fun to mess with them a little, theres a strong magnet inside, slap it underneath a rail car , semi trailer or if you could get close enough- a space shuttle! even putting it on a forklift in a warehouse would have someone scratching their head if they we’re constantly watching data. While I get it, in a way its kinda creepy. Guess thats why they hid it so well. Who rolls under a trailer on a creeper? View attachment 89336
I get the concept and can see where something like that could be useful. As problematic as trailer can be at times to maintain, that seems to be just one more thing to go bad. If you find value in keeping it and doing whatever it takes to utilize it, then more power to you. Me personally, I would remove it. But that is just me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals